abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

How do you watch?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you watch downloaded anime?
Computer, in a window
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Computer, full screen
46%
 46%  [ 12 ]
TV (computer video out or standalone VCD/SVCD)
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
Watch? You mean there's more to this stuff than just collecting?!?
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 26

xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: How do you watch? Reply with quote

I pretty much watch everything on TV (VVega 27") either through my standalone player or my laptop w/video out.
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, I watch everything on my PC. Nearly every anime EP opposes to this, but I'll do it in a totally dark room 50cm away from my 19" display. Twisted Evil

SVCDs I watch on my DVD player, but my TV is only 15"... Sad

Argh... why are there "radio buttons" only?
I have to select the 4th answer too...

T.Rieper
Chung

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use WMP to watch my stuff (some hate, some love it, I like WowThing builtin).. have it set at Fit to Window, or 200% if it's small. Full screen tends to fuzz things out more than I like. 640x480 stuff go full screen though.. or stuff with dark scenes. For S/VCD, I usually extract and watch in PowerDVD. Don't have a stand alone dvd player, so it's what I do.

Tobias Rieper wrote:
Usually, I watch everything on my PC. Nearly every anime EP opposes to this, but I'll do it in a totally dark room 50cm away from my 19" display.

SVCDs I watch on my DVD player, but my TV is only 15"...

Monitor bigger than TV.. heh, TV Tuner card with RCA and you'd be set.

--Chung
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used my TV since I discovered the anime groups. Cancelled my cable TV subscription too. The picture is just soooo much better on the monitor.

I watch in a nearly dark room, about 20 inches from my 14" monitor. My eyesight is so bad, I can't read the subs otherwise. Of course, this is a viscous circle. Shocked

For now I'm watching using WMP under Win95, but next time I can afford an upgrade, I'll be beefing up one of my Linux boxes to the point where I can watch on that. One less reason to keep a Mickey$loth product around.
Firecaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP, full screen on a 17" monitor with a smurf complex (tints blue on occasion for no apparent reason).

That said, though, I'd much prefer to watch on my 26" TV. I have a friend coming over from Louisiana next month and we wanted to do a mini anime marathon. One of my friends has extremely poor eyesight and she needs to literally stick her nose against the monitor to read stuff, so four people crowded around a 17" monitor (with a smurf complex, no less) for hours won't be very enjoyable. Confused

I have a TV out, but the problem is that my computer is a good 15-20 feet away from my TV. I could move the computer onto a small cart and roll it across the room and plug it there, but it'd be nice if we could watch our anime on our TV on a more regular basis (especially for my friend who can't see well). Besides, I have a full tower case and that sucker's heavy.

Going a LITTLE off-topic, here (I'm SO sorry)... does anyone know a place where one can get 25" of RCA video cabling (stereo audio+video a bonus) for CHEAP in Canada (or mail/online order from the States)? My TV doesn't have S-Video and nor does my video card, so that's sadly not an option, unless they make RCA to S-Video convertors (I have a S-Video to RCA convertor for my capture card, which came with the package when I bought it). I keep seeing 6" RCA a/v cabling at Future Shop for anywhere from $20 to $70. I found a 12" RCA a/v cable at Blockbuster once for $12, but I never saw anymore again (or I would have bought a bunch and strung them all together with gender changers). I'm hoping to keep the wiring under $75, myself. ^^;

Any ideas? I appreciate any suggestions (even, "Cas, move the flipping server to the other side of the room and be done with it"). Embarassed
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firecaster wrote:

Going a LITTLE off-topic, here (I'm SO sorry)... does anyone know a place where one can get 25" of RCA video cabling (stereo audio+video a bonus) for CHEAP in Canada (or mail/online order from the States)?

A quick search turned up the following:
http://www.trianglecables.com/25footrcaste.html

It's video+stereo audio and the page mentions "Sale Price $15". I've never ordered from this place and I certainly and not advocating that you throw money at them without some due diligence. I'm mostly mentioning the URL just as an indication of a price I found reasonable.

They sure gouge you Canucks on the oddest things.

-xo
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, I had an ulterior motive for this poll, stemming from threads elsewhere about file sizes. As I mentioned, I use a TV for display and find small file sizes (lower quality) quite adequate, but it occurred to me that viewers displaying on computer displays might have higher quality requirements.

-xo
Firecaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
A quick search turned up the following:
http://www.trianglecables.com/25footrcaste.html

It's video+stereo audio and the page mentions "Sale Price $15". I've never ordered from this place and I certainly and not advocating that you throw money at them without some due diligence. I'm mostly mentioning the URL just as an indication of a price I found reasonable.

Ooh. *blink* Hunh, I'll definetely consider them, thanks bunches... They seem to be a Yahoo store, so they must have at LEAST some credibility to them. I definetely won't throw my money blindly at them. I'm paranoid enough that it took me four months to get the guts to order from CD Japan ('specially that you need to give them your credit card number ahead of time and that they put it in a database). Wink

xo wrote:
They sure gouge you Canucks on the oddest things.

Yep. Video games (it's $450 for a PS2, here), anime... There's a store here called Warp One that's the ONLY store in Edmonton to buy anime/manga from (so they have a monopoly). They're selling stuff anywhere from 10% to 40% higher than MSRP. Example? Melodies of Life FFIX Single by Emiko Shiratori: $40 CDN. That CD was what, 1,100 Yen or so? And most DUBBED anime (they do sell subs) goes for $30-$50 CDN.

Sheesh.

I order from Animenation... with them, I only get gouged the crappy exchange ($1.58 CDN for $1 US). Wink
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chung wrote:

Monitor bigger than TV.. heh, TV Tuner card with RCA and you'd be set.
--Chung

Why? Is there something interesting on TV...? Shocked
Besides for watching news and some documentations, I hardly use it...

T.Rieper
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I got a DVD player(RCA RC524OP) in August 2001, I've been watching on my 27" inch TV. I'm always looking for VCD/SVCD encodes and constantly convert DivX to VCD or SVCD.

I'm so glad ABAV is slowly attracting VCD/SVCD posters now. Those Angelic Layer #AVCD SVCD's ripped from R2 DVD that deoch posted are very nice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch on my 24 inch WEGA. As to the question about file sizes, I think 640x480 Divx is the best. I'm curious, xo, when you watch on your tv do you make VCDs or SVCDs?

Ever since I found out about a month ago how to make XVCD's properly, I can't watch any other format. For those who don't know, XVCD's are equal in quality to DVD (check www.vcdhelp.com for more info). The resolution on an XVCD is 720x480, but you have to keep the picture size at 660x440 lest a good portion get cutoff on the screen. Therefore, it's pretty easy to see why I prefer 640x480 Divx encodes.

I've found, though, that by using a couple filters in TMPGEnc I can usually get the same quality out of a 512x384 encode (AH's Rockman episodes came out fine). The very few 320x240 episodes I've done have had a few issues... Most of the time, I think it depends on the encoder. I will say this: The first XVCD I made was of HQA/AI's release of Full Metal Panic Episode 1. In my mind, the encoders at HQA have always been Gods among men. The resulting image quality on that first disc was good enough to truly utilize everything the WEGA is capable of. xo should at least know what I'm talking about. For the rest of you, take a stroll through your local electronic store's Sony department.
~Lain of the Wired~

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually watch anime in full-screen mode with the lights off in my room, while I lie on my bed, on my tummy with a blanket on top & my teddy under my head. (Please.... no dirty thoughts! Wink ) Being only a foot away from the monitor is very bad for my eyes, but hey, it's so comfie~~ (Poor teddy is squashed; his left butt is bigger than his right butt. Rolling Eyes ) But now that I discovered that you can watch downloaded anime on a TV screen, I wanna do that!! Anything beyond drawing is beyond my stupid self. So may I ask, how in the world do you watch downloaded anime on a TV screen? Ok ok, you need a computer with anime, a TV, and something to connect them with.... then....???

I've been so busy with the finals right now & don't even have time to watch stuff that I downloaded.... Well, I spent most of my time leeching on hundreds of channels...
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlienBoy wrote:
I'm curious, xo, when you watch on your tv do you make VCDs or SVCDs?

I watch in the format that it was posted in - VCD/SVCD goes into my DVD player. Divx/RM/etc get's played on my laptop feeding my TV via SVideo.

I rarely do conversions since I can play on TV w/o it, but when I do I tend to stick with SVCD for movies or short run stuff, and VCD for longer series just because I can squeeze more per disc. It also depends on the quality of the source - I don't bother with SVCD if the quality isn't great to begin with.

XVCD sounds interesting (how much timewise can you fit per disc?) but my standalone (a Raite AVPhile) doesn't play that format.

Yum, yum, love my Wega. Especially since I got an AV switch box to handle all the inputs so I no longer had to juggle cabling all the time.

-xo
Firecaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~Lain of the Wired~ wrote:
So may I ask, how in the world do you watch downloaded anime on a TV screen? Ok ok, you need a computer with anime, a TV, and something to connect them with.... then....???

Well, first, you need a TV-Out on your system. If you have one, it's generally on your video card, or you might have one on your capture card, if you have one of those (ATI TV-Wonders have a TV-Out, I think). Anyways, it'll generally look like a female yellow RCA plug, or a female black S-Video plug. If you have one of those, you're set. Just get a cord long enough to suit your needs and read your video card manual to figure out how to switch modes (mine does it automatically under certain resolutions). If you DON'T have one, then you'll have to encode the anime in VCD/SVCD/XVCD and play it on your DVD player (if it supports VCD, but I haven't seen one that doesn't). I can't help you with the latter, unfortunately, but everyone else and their cousin can. ^^;

Hope that helps... I'm no expert in this, but I've connected my "laptop" to my TV before and it seems to work well. ^^;
Gorunova

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~Lain of the Wired~ wrote:
So may I ask, how in the world do you watch downloaded anime on a TV screen? Ok ok, you need a computer with anime, a TV, and something to connect them with.... then....???

What Firecaster said is probably the easiest, cheapest way. If you didn't build your own computer, you'll probably have to find a nerd to help you out with buying and installing what you need.

There is one other way - get a VCD/SVCD player that will play CDRs, download anime in VCD or SVCD format, and burn it to CDR in a special way. Then you can play the CDRs on your set-top VCD/SVCD player. Some DVD players will also play VCDs. I've never done this myself, so I don't know the gory details.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum