abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Before sifting old (Groov(e/y) Adventure) Rave posts on EN..

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Before sifting old (Groov(e/y) Adventure) Rave posts on EN.. Reply with quote

Soldats seems to be slowing to a crawl on this one, so before sifting old Rave posts off Easynews to pick up the AC and/or the CF versions of 18+, has anyone compared the later translations?

(inc)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the same thing - switched from soldats to ac at #13, then cf at #21, mostly because cf was so far ahead.

I must admit I haven't actually watched any episodes completely, but I did a fair amount of spot comparisons. The cf ones are definitely of lower quality. The file sizes are smaller and the video is noticeably blurrier. Still, they are more than watchable, IMO, so the smaller file sizes are a plus.

The translations, unfortunately, are clunkier. Some subtitles you find yourself desperately re-reading them trying to make sense of the sentence structure before they disappear. They're not the worst I've seen and typo/misspelling counts aren't bad, but it's not exactly smooth.

I don't know if this is of any help to you. For me, it's unfortunate, but I decided to go with the cf subs because I could clear off hard drive space more regularly without having to worry if soldats/ac were ever going to resume.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
...but I did a fair amount of spot comparisons...

Heh. That's what I do myself, so I consider your insights both valid and valuable. Wink

I was really hoping to hear that CF had improved some. But at their site it looks like this is the only project they're working on, hence the timely releases. Also, as far as I can see, they're the only ones that have acknowledged that the series has 51 episodes, not 26. So, inspite of my tendency to give greater weight to a good translation over video quality (though I also appreciate small files), I guess I'll go grab all I can find that aren't covered by AC.

(inc)
fureimu

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the earlier Rave releases by Choco-Fansubs were rather bad in terms of video quality, but that's what you get when whoever encodes have no clue of what they're doing. I have to say the recent Rave releases by Choco-Fansubs have been much better though, a couple of people told me Choco-Fansubs encoder had finally gotten around to learning how to encode properly. ^_^

Oh, and regarding Soldats Rave releases, a friend of mine who is in Soldats told me they're probably dropping it due to lack of interest. Can't really blame them, it was rather bad for a while, but at least it's gotten better. ^^;

</rant>
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum