abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Old softsub Cowboy Bebop question

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Old softsub Cowboy Bebop question Reply with quote

I have some Cowboy Bebop episodes downloaded around November of last year which consists of 6 files per ep, eg:

S6-Cowboy.Bebop.Ep04.avi
S6-Cowboy.Bebop.Ep04.SUB.avi
S6-Cowboy.Bebop.Ep04.SUB.idx
S6-Cowboy.Bebop.Ep04.SUB.ifo
S6-Cowboy.Bebop.Ep04.SUB.sub
S6-Cowboy.Bebop.Ep04.SUB.wav

What driver do I need to be able to watch the subbed version of this?
Keikai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is tricky situation. For the idx,ifo,sub files, all you need VobSub which you can get here (the DirectVobSub only version will be fine):

http://vobsub.edensrising.com/vobsub.php

However, there are some other problems. This encode uses the graphedit "trick" which means if you have any DirectX made after 8.0 (as in 8.1) then it wont play properly as is. You are supposed to be able to double-click on the SUB.avi file (which is a fake avi made out of a graphedit file) but MS broke that capability with DX8.1.

So what do you have to do? Well demux the video, mux in the ...SUB.wav file, and then make sure the 3 vobsub files have the same name. That should do it. You can do all this with nandub or virtualdub mp3 (You might be able to use regular virtualdub, but I dont know if normal VDub supports VBR MP3 audio yet and if that is what is used in this post then it will mess up the audio).

In the end you'll want the files (or something similar, I'm abbreviating for brevity):

CBep4.avi (avi video from original with jap audio muxed in)
CBep4.idx (as is)
CBep4.ifo (as is)
CBep4.sub (as is)

There may be an easier way to do this, but this is how I'd do it. You can also do it in a way where you have dual audio capability, but that's even more complex.

Good luck
Keikai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify one point. You don't, in fact, have to demux the english audio track from the original avi. When you mux, you will pick the video track from the main avi for the video portion and the .wav file for the audio portion and save it to a new AVI. So ignore the bit about demuxing the audio.
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so that's why it stopped working, thanks for the explaination. Although, when I tested the subs by manually loading them through DVobSub, they didn't work. I used a text editor on them, and the .ifo and .sub files appear to be binary. I thought they were supposed to be text? If they were, I could prolly figure out a way to watch it on MicroDVD, which allows loading of external soundtracks and subs.
Keikai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the .idx, .ifo, and .sub files absolutely positively require DVobSub. They are not fully text because DVD subtitling is not actually text-based. They are bitmaps. So the big one of those three files actually contains the bitmap information and that one text one contains timing, colors, etc. I can't remember about the third, but actually VobSub files created with new versions of the VobSub plug-in only produce two of the three files.

Those programs that product text (whether smi, ssa, etc.) from DVDs do so because they OCR the bitmap information.

I believe there is now a way to OCR the VobSub files, but I've not looked into it so I'm not certain if that is really possible. The fact, however, is that the problem here shouldnt be with VobSub (or rather I should say there are apparently two problems affecting you). If the subtitles don't show up when manually loading, like you said, try to let auto-load work by making sure they are identically titled to the avi file (the part before the extension, in your case just remove ".SUB" from all three VobSub filenames, or add ".SUB" to the primary .avi filename). If that still doesnt work, I or someone else here might be able to help you, but this portion of the problem has nothing to do with DX8.1 which solely affects the fake graphedit .avi running the alternate soundtrack.

[Wild possibility - I think, if nothing gets DVobSub to work right, it's vaguely possible that there is a graphedit "command" (for lack of a proper term) in the primary avi that is preventing the subs from loading, but I really doubt it, try everything else first and, if all that fails, try creating a new avi using nandub as I suggested to work around the graphedit/DX8.1 problem. Actually, if DVobSub is working for other releases besides this one let me know, then we know something to this effect is true. But if DVobSub isnt working for anyone's releases then it is likely just something to do with Windows or the DVobSub filter.]
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keikai wrote:
Well the .idx, .ifo, and .sub files absolutely positively require DVobSub. They are not fully text because DVD subtitling is not actually text-based. They are bitmaps.

Oh I did not know that. All the .sub files I've seen before were pure text, must be an alternate system.

Keikai wrote:
If the subtitles don't show up when manually loading, like you said, try to let auto-load work by making sure they are identically titled to the avi file

Magically, this cured it. Thanks for the help, Keikai. Strange, though, that auto loading and manual loading would give different results.
Kuritorisu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And 6 months later... I'm having the same problem. I've just spent like an hour trying various codecs... but I guess it's a DX problem Sad

Does anyone have an easier workaround for this problem with the S6-Cowboy Bebops other than reencoding?
Orqyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I do for S6 encodes to basically achieve two objectives:
Reduce file count, and eliminate graphedit for show

I'll list the options in order of time needed

Remux the SUB.wav file with the video using nandub. The .wav files are really VBR MP3 files which you could just use nandub's dual audio feature to mux both of them into one file. However, nandub sometimes doesn't accept the 2nd mp3 file for whatever reason. Thus onto the next option

Strip out the ENG mp3 out of the avi file again using nandub, and re-encode both mp3s into ogm. then simply use oggmux to generate a new ogg file which will have less overhead and most likely smaller audio, leading to a smaller file overall. Yes, Oggmux does have the option to mux mp3 instead, but I've found the function is currently broken. Maybe in the future...

The ogg option is mainly if you want to keep both audio tracks. If you could care less about the DUB, feel free to just squash it like a bug.

One last thing to do. Get the newest version of vobsub. This lets you do two things: Open up the sub files in vobsub and close it, that's it! Now you no longer need the .ifo. Also, rar up the .sub file using max compression. Viola, more saved space. In the end, Assuming you used either method, you would have 3 files for each episode.

Cowboy.avi/ogm
Cowboy.idx
Cowboy.rar (.sub file inside)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Orqyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well nuts, I just realized I bumped up a really old one. Well, I think it still has some good info in it :)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum