abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

The video silliness is obvious, but how about the sound…

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: The video silliness is obvious, but how about the sound… Reply with quote

Ok, I'll admit I still haven’t gotten used to the idea that some folks find it necessary to encode at 640x480 – I would hope this is an obvious quibble. But the (lack of) logic behind some of the audio choices almost leaves me breathless. Errr… Well, that’s overstating it a little I guess. It’s just that I shouldn’t be able to take a couple of minutes to convert 4 or 5 episodes of some of these new posts to old dixv3 audio (64kbps/44kHz) and knock 60-80M off the size of what I’m trying to fit on a disk and still have reasonable quality. As to why the necessity for encoding at 48kHz – well, I guess they figure if it’s good enough for a dvd, it’s good enough for them.

…ah, I feel better now – been wanting to do that rant for months…

(inc)
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya, man. I won't add much because I've ranted about file bigness many times already...

BTW, what's that handsome new avatar? Is that... you?
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
BTW, what's that handsome new avatar? Is that... you?
Hmm… Well, I’ve felt like that a few times lately, but no. My antecedents are mainly Irish, and his definitely aren’t – though he does seem to be showing a certain Celtic ferocity there. I’m probably remise not using an anime avatar here, but my enjoyment of Japanese *media* predates my introduction to anime. The fellow on the left is emblematic of that earlier fascination. Any more should be in the *ID the Avatar* section I guess.

(inc)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Toshiro Mifune to me, though I can't ID the film...
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Shichinin no Samurai...

(inc)
Orqyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet once again we see the consequences of not checking the forum diligently...

I don't know about the crazy people who include ac3 as their audio, and/or I'm assuming the audio you're referring to is of the 320kbps or so variety. However, I do say that I encode to 48khz when I do divx because of the conversion:

It's time consuming to get a high quality downsampling.
Which brings up the next point. Downsampling bad. Especially when you can encode 48 at roughly the same size as 44. Also, most of the lame frontends now have conversion to 44 as an afterthought. I hope people use at least lame or better. My, that sounded coherent. For those people who don't know what they're doing, may the good lord have mercy on their souls.

Using ogg now, though I haven't released something in that format yet. Lower overhead, smaller file sizes for audio, and an open source package for media. Can support mode2 cd-burning, but imo the penalties aren't worth it at this point. But my next divx encode, whenever that'll be will be in that format. (ogm)

In response to Gorunova: Some guys still haven't figured out that there are 702 megs to a cd without overburn. Even with, most of us would rather not try to fit 760 megs on the cd. Nor do we like wasting 100+ megs and have less than 600 on one. Bottom line is, the word must be put out, cd's are 700 Megs advertised. The (s)vcd rule does not apply to avi's, so don't go thinking your encode is made to fit 800. Damnit, I just said 700! No, 7 isn't a round number, its pretty prime alright. But that 7's got two 0's running after it. Surely you can divide that nicely! Yes, I am being a bitch. The correct term is biatch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orqyman wrote:
Damnit, I just said 700!

Testify, brotha!

Witness:

Code:

199.00 MB Whistle-01[ishin].avi
 198.97 MB Whistle-02[ishin].avi
 198.90 MB Whistle-03[ishin].avi

No offense to Ishin in particular, but it looks like file size targetting is DEAD ON, I mean look at that spread! Beautiful. But what is it with targetting 200MB? Did I miss the jump to 800MB CDs or something? Someone selling 600MB discs for super cheap? What?

-xo the ingrate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orqyman wrote:

I don't know about the crazy people who include ac3 as their audio,

I guess you're refereeing to me, betterman post? (only one who posted an ac3 file recently) I agree that the ac3 track in divx is useless if its in 2 channel stereo, but if its in prologic I made the choice to go with it. That's why the betterman post had one ac3 japanese track on it. The other track, english, was encoded into mp3 cause it was just simple 2 channel stereo, which was a waste if left in ac3. Filesize savings I believe was roughly half of what the ac3 track was. (ac3=37MB mp3=17 based on one episode and one track.)

So, if you have the ability to run the ac3 through your soundcard's spidif-out check it out. The track isn't spectacular but it was nice to hear the music in the rear speakers, etc. If you don't you can always save 17MB and re-encode it using azid.
sirhc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops the guest post was mine. I thought I was logged in but I guess
I wasn't. If an admin would like to edit the post to fix it, delete this post too. Sorry bout that.
Orqyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, yeah, I should have been more specific about the ac3 part, but you're right, when its 2chn 192 ac3, what's the point in leaving it in as that. That was the main one I was referring to. 5.1 384 ac3 makes more sense since each chn takes less space on its own, but that's rare in anime. Since that's usually only the case with movies, and I'm tryin to squeeze the 90min-120min movie onto 1 disc, I find that it takes away too much from the video to use that.

As always these things are descretion at one's own opinion between a balance of quality vs size economy. And that could easily carry over into the debate of divx vs svcd, which we would all like to avoid.

(Honestly, I wasn't referring to you, didn't know it was in ac3! Just a general comment mainly coming from my experiences in the divx movie groups. Trying discrete ac3 on my computer before was just that, it was a little too discrete!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank (inc) for being so anal about keeping his Kenshin encodes averaging around 175MB. I'm burning a copy for Melchior, and it's sooo nice to be able to just slap down four at a time and have them fit neatly.
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orqyman wrote:
However, I do say that I encode to 48khz when I do divx because of the conversion
What has happened for me is just the practical issue of so many sets of posts seeming to hit that 730-760M range now (almost all from the neo-subbers), and where I find just a little audio processing knocks them down below 700M -- and it just takes seconds instead the extended commitment of re-encoding the video.

Orqyman wrote:
Using ogg now, though I haven't released something in that format yet. Lower overhead, smaller file sizes for audio, and an open source package for media. Can support mode2 cd-burning, but imo the penalties aren't worth it at this point. But my next divx encode, whenever that'll be will be in that format. (ogm)
Don't know if you caught it, but so far there has been only one ogm post in aba/abma (AFAIK). It brought down a lot of flack, mainly from Vidiot (whom it looks like you are trying to contact in a *Ranma* context), who had trouble getting it to run. It is true that the poster of that ogm might have given a few more links/instructions to newbies (or those who just like the status quo or are Google-phobic).

Gorunova wrote:
I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank (inc) for being so anal about keeping his Kenshin encodes averaging around 175MB. I'm burning a copy for Melchior, and it's sooo nice to be able to just slap down four at a time and have them fit neatly.
*totally_anal*, now there's a nick I'd remember. ;-)

It's been easy lately with the return to 4ep/dvd; if anything I could be giving them more BW, but I've also been enjoying posting some smaller files. DVDs 19-21 will also have 4 per, but the last, 22, will have 5, so if the opportunity presents itself (with some dark, low action episodes), I may size something for 5 episodes on a cd along the way. But I'm watching this last season for the first time myself as I do the encodes -- I really don't know what to anticipate.

And on that last note, I'm enjoying it more then I might have thought based on the prevalent negative attitudes toward the last Kenshin season. A couple of the more light-weight *romantic* single episodes are a little jaring and out of character, but on the whole I think it's been pretty decent story-telling.

(inc)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum