abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

The problem of signatures and images

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keikai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: The problem of signatures and images Reply with quote

Many if not most of the bulletin boards I've ever seen that allow images or many lines in signatures have ended up with messages that are more sig than topic and make the boards extremely displeasurable to read. Personally, I think the avatar image (preferably restricted in size like they are here) is enough to give oneself a graphical representation and a sig isnt really necessary at all since one's profile can contain any information you would normally put into a sig.

Until recently, this had never come up. But now that I've seen a post that had a large image in it, it sounded off alarm bells throughout my head.

Would it not be better to only allow links to images as opposed to allowing images in the posts themselves and perhaps restrict the length of sigs a bit more? I personally dont bother even putting my nick after the body text since you can see who posted it _very_ easily and links to the profile and means of contact are immediately available. I suppose the 255 character restriction is probably enough, but the images _really_ give me the creepy crawlies. I really would love to see the straightforwardness and easy readability of this board continue, as it's such a pleasure to read.

Just thought I'd voice my concerns. It's xo's playground so I can't do anymore than that. Twisted Evil
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I now have this enormous urge to see if the system will accept a 640x480 sig image?? Wink

(inc) (<== habit...)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel as strongly, if not more strongly, about this as Keikai. I've found graphical sigs quite detrimental to the browsing experience on other boards, not just by taking up space but also causing hangups when remote images don't load in a timely manner.

I've waited on this to see if it would become an issue. I've now disabled signatures- please see my other announcement in this forum.

-xo (<== also habit)
Perimus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: My bad Reply with quote

Sorry guys, my bad!

On many of the other boards I post on, sig images become a fun war... it's lighthearted, and everybody is always coming up with new ones that are bigger and better. It almost doesn't feel like fun w/o sig wars, but I suppose it is more mature without them!

I acknowledge it's my fault, and if anybody feels the need to spank me, PLEASE do Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orqyman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Keikai!

I remember seeing some gay car take up the entire screen for someone's sig once, and another would be the NE race from Warcraft. Why am I mentioning those? Because it so happened the persons' signatures were all I ended up seeing 90% of the time as they happened to have really big mouths (maybe because of their sig). I don't remember what the hell it was I was trying to read, but I keep having nightmares about the pictures being permanently burned into my screen.

I guess you guys know how I feel about that crud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum