abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

The new crop?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: The new crop? Reply with quote

As one who is lagging way behind when it comes to watching the new stuff, I'm curious what series among the current "season" you guys are watching and your initial impressions.

I gather Abenobashi is a winner from what I've read in the groups. How about some of the other current ones : Rizelmine, Hack Sign, Whistle, PitaTen, Tenshi Na Konamaiki, Full Moon, Azumanga Daioh, Ai Yori Aoshi, Chobits, etc?

Not looking for full blown reviews (submit them to animeusenet if you feel like writing one!), just a indication of what people are watching, and a thumbs up/thumbs down with a comment or two.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been remiss also about watching very much of the new ones. I'm waiting to have all of Abenobashi before I watch that one. From sampling, I’m also looking forward to hack, and Chobits (which looks to be more then it first appears).

I’ve watched all of posted Jing; not great, but a _very_ interesting *world*.

I don’t know why, but I watched all of posted Grapler Baki. At one level I found it pretty obnoxious (maybe more then one), but I also got into that *what’s going to happen next* mode.

The only series I'm watching the moment it's unrared is Azumanga (believe it or not). I was testing one of its early posts and happened on *Osaka* watching the dust in her eyes as mayhem occurred around her – totally hooked. I’m certainly not a member of its target demographic, but it’s directed so interestingly (odd “double-take” pauses, missed beats, etc.) and I really enjoy its character based humor.

What I saw of Tokyo Mew Mew made me feel a little ill – how to max out anime clichés in one series – cat girl; one guy/many girls; magic girl transformations, blah, blah…. Maybe it gets better, as I’ve seen so few of the characters.

Other stuff is still indeterminate…

(inc)
snoopynme

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone simply MUST watch Tenshi na Konamaiki!!! Megumi Hayashibara is greaaat in it! So is her character... Fun, fun, fun to watch! Very Happy

I've completely lost interest in watching Mew Mew... Went through about 2 or 3 episodes of it... I like Sailor Moon... Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto is cute... When ppl mentioned Mew Mew is like Sailormoon meets Taruto, I started watching some of it... Didn't appeal.

Rizelmine... watched through 5 episodes, hoping maybe the first few annoyed me but it gets better? Especially since the guy's voice is Inu Yasha's seiyuu. BUT ergh, too annoying... Rizel is irritating... the guy is angry too often. So the anime is just all around irritating. Save my ears! Shocked So I stopped watching that one, too.

Abenobashi is fun to watch, too. ^^

Ai Yori Aoshi is pleasant to watch... Aoi is cute.

Chobits appeared to be more than it was... Then it's just a ecchi through & through =P But Chobit is cute... so that sells... and all those that love Chobits for the sake of cuteness, loyalty, and probably defending the non-ecchiness of its ecchiness? =P (I'm sure many or everyone will disagree with what I say about Chobits =P).

One of the guys in Full Moon looks just like Senkaiden Houshin Engi's main character... maybe it's just me. It's a pleasant series to watch, too...

Hope Hack Sign doesn't drag on. So far it's interesting enough. ^^
earthdark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm...

Abenobashi is good, especially that ender song. RahXephon is also interesting but I'm still noticing some starking similarities with Eva halfway into the series....

When someone said Ai Yori Aoshi was just like LH, they weren't kidding. I'm just watching it for Aoi in her kimono, if she changes attire, that's the end of AYA for me cause I can't stand storylines like that. I really like Full Moon's art but I also can't stand its plot. As for Azumanga, Chobits and Hikaru no Go, I'm reading the manga versions instead.

Personally, I think all the others suck... but then again, someone claimed that I only like shows with angst-filled plots.
HollyBerries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessee, what am I watching and what do I think...the ones I'm still actively downloading and watching are:

12 Kokuki (Juni Kokki) - My current favorite of the bunch, even if it DOES give me an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach watching it just because everything goes SOOOO badly for the main character all the time. It's like Fushigi Yuugi with no harem, a far less happy/genki heroine and a much more serious plot thus far. I really like it Smile

Chobits - Light, fluffy, incredibly padded out and slow to get to a point with a very lecherous male lead, but despite all that I like this one too. Chii is irresistably cute, and what hints of having an overall point it's shown so far (very few >_>) have seemed very interesting.

.hack//sign - I've lost interest in this gradually as the show has gone on. Since there's going to be a video game that wraps up the story, knowing that there will be no resolution to anything by the end of the show is making me lazy about watching the rest. Still, it's fairly interesting and is based on a cool concept.

Tenshi na Konamaiki - I also like this show a lot, despite the FUGLY character designs that improve as the show goes on, and I didn't really expect to. It really is funny, though, and the characters are interesting. I want to see where this one ends up.

Tokyo Mew Mew - Another one I like, it's a standard magical-girl fantasy and makes no claims otherwise. The ending theme gets stuck in my head for days at a time. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of animal Lettuce is supposed to have the powers of, though...

The ones I've given up on are:

Full Moon wo Sagashite - I just can't get past a 12-year-old girl who is willing to die because she promised some schmoe she hasn't seen in years that she'd become a singer, and everyone seems to think that that's such a CUTE and ROMANTIC thing. Bleah!

Rizelmine - Nothing about it grabbed me as being interesting in the first few episodes, so I stopped DLing it.

Zone of Enders, Dolores - See above.

Pita-Ten - See above.

Tokyo Underground - See above.

I've also been downloading Abenobashi Magical Shopping District, but I haven't gotten around to actually watching it yet.

HB
Gorunova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the new series I haven't tried yet due to bandwidth limitations. I figure I'll catch them on repost, after the series I'm currently downloading are done.

Here's my comments on the series others have mentioned:

Abenobashi: A
The gags, facefaults, bodyfaults etc are a little too exaggerated for my taste, but otherwise this series is a hoot. Lots of sight gags, parodies and other pop culture references.

Ai Yori Aoshi: N/A - Haven't watched any yet, but plan to.

Azumanga: A+
One word: CUTE! A bunch of weird girls and their weird teachers do stuff at school. Nothing special there. What makes this show is the ultra-addictive ubercute characters and the offbeat humor. This isn't saccharine cute like Snow Fairy Sugar - this is schoolyard cute.

Chobits: B+
At first it seems like a slightly ecchi adolescent male power trip fantasy, but then it gets more interesting. Around episodes 8-9 it seems to go into a bit of a lull, and I haven't watched any past that yet.

Full Moon wo Sagashite: N/A - Haven't watched any yet.

Grappler Baki: F
Ugly main character, sports. Dropped it after the first episode.

Hack Sign: B
Interesting. I've only watched the first few eps so far but I plan to watch more.

Jing: Not rated.
Yet another quest series like One Piece, Hunter X Hunter and Rave, but
based on the first episode it might have some potential. A little corny in places, but entertaining.

Juuni Kokki: A-
Very similar to Fushigi Yuugi, but stands on its own well. Must-watch.

Pita-Ten: B+
I think I've seen this show several times before with other names, but it's watchable. It reminds me of Risky and Safety, but with marginally more mature characters. Bigger ones, anyway.

Rizelmine: D
I only watched the first ep. Maybe it gets better later. I didn't like the
abusive relationship between the two main characters; given her childlike personality it seemed cruel.

RahXephon: B+
In several places this series seems to be attempting to be the next Evangelion. There are obvious influences. Even so, it stands fairly well on its own. Some interesting concepts, but this is yet another meek-boy-is-the-only-one-who-can-save-the-day story.

Tenshi na Konamaiki: N/A - Haven't watched any.

Tokyo Mew Mew: F
As someone else said, cliche city. It wouldn't be so bad if it were a parody like Abenobashi, but I didn't get any parody feelings from the first episode.

Whistle: F
Sports, bleah.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all. I've cleared a gig or two of disk space and have revised the "to-watch" list in my head based on the replies.

I'd like to keep this thread "open", so as you watch stuff, feel free to add comments here.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple I forgot in my first post (and did anyone else mention?):

-- "Patapata Hikousen no Bouken", "Secret of Cerulean Sand" or "Adventures of the Airship Patapata" -- Watched the first episode of it as a Engrish sub and, later, in a more accurate translation. Really want to see more but I've been waiting for the MA-AH subs. I thought it had an interesting style and looked like it was going to be a real _story_ -- a rarity lately.

-- "Kaze no Yojimbo" -- Again, only have seen the first ep, but it also intrigued me. And any homage to Kurosawa gets the benefit of the doubt (but considering my avatar, I guess that's obvious)...

(inc)
earthdark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, I missed Kaze no Yojimbo too. But yeah, I recommend it, the art is a bit different and the story is intriguing. (oppose to five girls living with one guy)

Come to think of it, I forgot to mention GalaxyAngel S2 too. Watch the first episode and if you like that type of humor, then the series is for you.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew some stuff would be forgotten. Smile

I like Patapata too. Definitely looks story-driven rather than merchandise or cool-graphics driven, and the story is good so far. It feels a bit like a Vernian adventure/mystery/fantasy, but it has an atmosphere of its own.

Galaxy Angels Second is a guaranteed sell for me. I'm totally hooked on those characters. More! More! Smile Hey, we should have a vote on favorite Angels. Just for fun, I think I'll go start one now.
Melchior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late getting in on the replies here, but I figured that I'd voice my opinion:

Azumanga Daioh - among my favourite of the new crop. The offbeat humour has me hooked.

Tenshi na Konamaiki - ugly-looking characters, but an interesting story; god enough to keep me watching and downloading it without any regret.

Ai Yori Aoshi - it's a cute show, I'm enjoying it, it sometimes pushes the cuteness envelope for me, but by no means is it anything event remotely extreme... I just have a low cuteness tolerance.

Secret of Cerulean Sand (or whatever it's called) - I've enjoyed what's been posted so far. I'm hoping to see more.

Ajimu - I've enjoyed teh two eps of this sereis that I've seen posted so far. Sort of vaguely reminds me of KOR.

Whistle - I'm a sucker for most sports-anime. Whistle's well-written, and entertaining to watch.

-----

Series I specifically disliked: Pita-ten (annoying), Rizelmine (I tried the first 3 eps, the second was good, the others were exceptionally annoying), Jing (it just seemed too... stock/average/typical/unlikely).

-----

Hack sign: I really liked htis initially, but it's grown confusing and now I don't know whether to like it or not. I can't keep track of the story anymore, and the friend I've been watching it with is similarly confused. One thing that may affect my opinion here is that I'm not a gamer.

I should mention that there are a number of series that Gorunova's downloading on my behalf, so I can't really comment much on those.

Later,
-Melchior
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADMINISTRIVIA : inc's post regarding impressions of new shows for Summer 2002 has been moved to it's own thread.
oblio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

I've been following RahXephon and liking it, though the last few eps have left the story flat... it isn't that things aren't happening, it's just that I don't care. Still, I watch it in hopes of a brighter tomorrow.

I'm a sucker for HnG, but then, the last thing that interested me that much was Marmelade Boy, so you can see how the DRAMA impacts me. I've been reading the manga, and that has been even worse, if you can imagine- checking the web sites for updates every 4 hours- that kind of thing.

Tokyo Underground sure started to suck fast. I think I watched through ep 8. I doubt I'll watch more.

Chobits seems to have denigrated entirely into the ecchi world. I stopped watching at 11, though may catch back up a little later.

Abenobashi had a great first episode, which made me dissappointed at the next 2 or 3. That said, its one of my favorite right now, and I'm anxiously waiting to find time to watch ep 9!

Hack//Sign is stupid but appealing. I keep up on these, and enjoy them even if they don't leave me clawing at my computer waiting to download more.

I think I'll take inc && snoopy&me's advice and try azumanga and tenshi next! Thanks for the recomendations!

As for summer 2k2 eps, I haven't even started! Maybe next week I can dredge up a few hours. Neverwinter Nights sure hasn't helped me catch up on my Anime any. ^_^;;
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum