abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

What's your favorite (Windows) Media Player?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your favorite (Windows) Media Player?
Microsoft Media Player
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
DivX Player (Divx codec standard player)
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Sasami2K
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Zoom Player
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
BSPlayer
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Other?
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

Onakra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: What's your favorite (Windows) Media Player? Reply with quote

I've been using Sasami2K for a while now, but lately I have some trouble with some files. A few video's with softsubs don't play properly (directvobsub 2.16) or video is flipped. For these 'trouble'cases I've been using Zoom Player which also seems a nice overall player. Which player(s) do you prefer and why?
Keikai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hate to call it a favorite, since I really don't care for it, but I stick with Windows Media Player 6.4 for most of my playing these days. I greatly prefer Sasami2k but I started to get a bit tired of having to use it for some things and WMP for others, so I just started to use WMP for almost everything.

So these days I use WMP 6.4 for most things, with PowerDVD, WMP 7.0, BSPlayer and Sasami2k around for when I need or want them.

The day I can use Sasami more reliably with various DirectShow filters and such, I'll gladly switch back. Featurewise, it's wonderful.
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP 6.4 with multiple instances for most all; DVDStation (with an old Hollywood Plus dvd/mpeg hardware decoder) for some; WMP 8.0 for a few. I'd also hate to call any a favorite though.

(inc)
Chung

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, I use WMP7 for all my avi viewing, and PowerDVD3 for S/VCD flavors. WMP has those nice GEQ and Wow built in that I like, if the others have any kind of adjustments as such, I'll have to check them out as well.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like Sasami's interface, but it's given me a couple of nasty crashes.
Much as I hate Microsoft, WMP just works. Crashes are extremely rare.
Melchior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've withheld my vote, since I don't have a favourite player. I use WMP6.4 for almost everything, WMP7 for MPEG files (for some reason, WMP6.4 won't do them properly in full-screen for me-- I was too lazy to figure out why, so I just use WMP7 for MPEGs), and Intervideo WinDVD for SVCDs.

Why do I use WMP? Because it works, it's already on my computer, and I'm too lazy to bother trying any other players. I'm used to the keyboard shortcuts for WMP6.4-- does anybody know why they'd try to change the shortcuts for WMP7? Ugh, ctrl+P to pause...

Can anybody quickly rattle off some pros/cons to using players other than WMP? (aside from their non-Microsoft aspect, since that's an automatic plus for all of them).
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted other cuz I like xine. It's got almost all the features I'm looking for, recognizes all file formats I throw at it, and is mostly robust (stuff like Divx5 and ogm files tend to choke it up a bit, though, and these are becoming a bit more common :p).

Unfortunately, while I do scan/test/preview stuff under Linux as I download them, I sit down to watch stuff on a Windows laptop and there I use WMP 6.4. I've tried switching as it's lacking some features I've grown used to with xine and I get the feeling it's not as efficient CPU-wise as some other players. However, the ones I've tried have either performed worse or crashed badly as I was trying them out. This includes Sasami, the Divx player, and PowerDivx (not listed).

I haven't tried BSPlayer lately, or Zoom ever, so I'll have to give those a spin. The features I miss terribly in WMP are keyboard based scanning (ie left arrow-> jump forward 1 minute, etc) and playlists. I hate getting up to load up the next file!

-xo

Addendum: OK, the poll question was specifically asking about Windows players, but since I don't have a favorite, I thought other would be my Cowboy Neal option.
earthdark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VirtualDub baby~
user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
The features I miss terribly in WMP are keyboard based scanning (ie left arrow-> jump forward 1 minute, etc) and playlists. I hate getting up to load up the next file!

Actually, WMP 6.4+ does support playlists. Create a text file called playlist.asx (or whatever, but you probably need to keep the .asx extension) and insert the following lines (adding more entries as desired):

<asx version = "3.0">
<title>My L33T Playlist</title>
<entry> <ref href = "e:\avi\Witch Hunter Robin 01.avi"/></entry>
<entry> <ref href = "e:\avi\Witch Hunter Robin 02.avi"/></entry>
<entry> <ref href = "e:\avi\Witch Hunter Robin 03.avi"/></entry>
</asx>

Then you can use the Skip Forward and Skip Back buttons in WMP to change files.
deoch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been using Windows Media Player 6.4 as well. I have tried SASAMI, and while it seems like a good player, I haven't felt a heavy urge to switch.
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to call WMP 6.4 a 'favorite' but it's what I tend to use the most. It works without fuss (codec's willing most of the time...) for me for just about everything except mpeg2 (for which I've been using windvd). I should give some of the other options a try but I've been exceptionally lazy recently. Wink
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

user wrote:
Actually, WMP 6.4+ does support playlists.

Hey cool, I'll have to give that try. Not an ideal way of doing it, but better than nothing.

-xo
Orqyman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say PowerDVD for mpeg2 and such, but ever since I got an Nvidia card, the patch that was suppose to fix overlay problems don't work. (You don't have PowerDVD installed on your system)... my booty.
WinDVD doesn't play DVDs with overlay for me, but it does do avis and mpegs... hmm. Whatever, I have a Pioneer deck anyway.

WMP64 for me, and Vdub for a bunch of stuff, like ED :)

I was going to go with inc and add DVDstation, but I ran outta pci slots, so my Hollywood just sits there and pouts at me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I like Zoom Player! Convenient key controls, playlist management/navigation, skip forward/skip back (with keys or scroll wheel!), launches quickly, nice minimal GUI (skinnable), everything I was looking for!

I'ma gonna try it out awhile and see if it's stable and handles all the junk I throw at it without going berserk.

-xo
tomreivik

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasami2k would be a great player if it worked for me. Actually, it only works for me in windows 2000 with SP2 downloaded from MS (a clean install of slipstreamed sp2 doesn't work with sasami for some reason...). But that's only me. I've been using this little known player called "Light Alloy" lately. It's not bulky at all which is nice.

My favorite overall player though is MPlayer... even though the developers are assholes (or appear to be). Xine didn't make much of an impression on me when I used it...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum