abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

How best to re-encode an SVCD to DivX?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDmage can be found at:

http://cdmage.cjb.net/

For bin/cue files, you may need to first open the cue file in a text editor to see whether the bin is mode1 or mode2 and what the sector size is.. or I suppose you could always use trial and error.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

However, now I'm running into the problem of some episodes implementing some strange unorthodox VBR audio encoding that causes VirtualDub (and AVIUtl) to go haywire... the more recent versions of VD will attempt to correct the illegal headers, but can introduce a-v desync... sometimes pretty significant. I haven't figured out an easy solution to that--short of demuxing, recompressing, and remuxing the audio streams... but I'm too lazy to make the time to do that. Sad

What you're probably seeing are files that use variable bit rate MP3s for audio. The AVI format really doesn't support that, but there's a hack that some use to trick it into working. There's a version of VirtualDub called NanDub that supports the trick - it's usually what the encoders are using to make 'em in the first place and is great for trimming those VBR Op/Eds down to size.

Still, I feel your pain when it comes to file sizes. One of the things I feel sets the truly expert encoders apart from the rest is making the extra effort to size stuff to fit on a CDR. I just don't understand the perverse love so many subbers seem to have for the 200 meg episode - it's about the worst fitting size imaginable. Even with the the extra size, it seldom looks better than a well done 175 meg encode, but if they really want quality that bad then why not go to 230 meg?

(sorry about the anon post - I'm new to these parts and am still accoutless Wink )
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a MPEG2 parser version of virtualdub floating around (check doom9.org), that can handle MP2 and AC3 audio. So you can convert directly from the mpg or vob, like you can with mpeg1 vcds. I encoded a few tiny snow fairy sugar episodes to divx5.0.3 with it and it works good. It removes pulldown and converts it to 23.976fps. (Note, that if your dvd/svcd is still hybrid, you'll have to go via dvd2avi/avs/ivtc method, because it'll give some weird framerate.)

As for playback of SVCDs on your computer, I would advise using zoom player (or any player that has aspect ratio corrector in it) with the mpeg2 direct show filter or your dvd software. WMP has been known to cause async problems and it doesn't correct to 4:3 like it's supposed to be.

I really personally hate VBR MP3 audio. I do a _LOT_ of conversions from format to format and it's done nothing but screw me up. The only way to correct it in virtualdub, is to extract to an uncompressed wav and recompress it. There is no other option. Nandub works ok, but is not as great and I've had problems with that too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum