abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Commercial news servers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Commercial news servers Reply with quote

I know EasyNews and SuperNews are popular with the major downloaders, but has anyone tried Buzzard News? The thing that looks attractive about Buzzard is that there is no download limit and they allow multiple connections. The price isn't terrible either.
matt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried Buzzard News, but it looks a little *too* good to be true, i would suspect some sort of bandwith cap. "Sure, unlimited downlaods! (at 5K a sec max)". But it does not mention any cap anywhere in the page, so who knows. And I could not find any reviews on the web about them. Let us know if you try them out.
Sjafira

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking around lately for a good commercial news servers since my ISP newsservers have only retention period of half a day!
I have been looking around in Buzzard News.. it sounds good.. no download limit... however the retention period of alt.binaries.anime is just 5 days at buzzard news which is a pity.. easynews wins this part I must say...
I don't know much yet about easynews and supernews, perhaps anybody can help me choose? Smile
the retention period is one of the important point actually.. I can download most of the part through another local newsserver.. however often are the parts incomplete... then I can use the easynews/supernews to fill up the gaps and reducing repost requests :p
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an Easynews account since April and am very happy with it.

My only complaint is that the retention has dropped from 56 days to 30 days on the HTTP server. NNTP server is still about three weeks I think.

Not much of a complaint I guess. 30 days is still pretty damn good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree whole heartedly with Neuralblastoma on Easynews.

It's partly based on his (and other's) repeated recomendations of it in posts to those complaining about incompletes that I checked it out.

I have been very pleased with Easynews. It has very good completion and excellent retention IMO and even though I hate having to pay for a 2nd nntp (damn lame isp's nntp servers) the price/quality of service is quite fair. The free trial of 3days/1GB is nice too.

I've been so content with it that I've never bothered checking out any of the other 'premium' news servers. Wink
Sjafira

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the recommendations...
you guys have convinced me ^^

I am now a proud member of easynews Smile and I must say... the completeness of the group is incredible! compare to what I had..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum