abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Many more posters now turning on Recovery

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(inc)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Many more posters now turning on Recovery Reply with quote

Just noting that conditions, at least on this issue, have improved. My last survey of Recover usage had found it running about 10% (if memory serves). I just checked a dozen of today's downloads and found 8 with Recover turned on. 'Course 100% would be nice, even if unatainable. Cool

(inc)
Keikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news. Hopefully it will keep up. I'll admit that leaving off recovery records, regardless of other steps taken, is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised by the 10% figure - when was that sample taken? I imagine in the parchive era.

I seem to recall that before the advent of parchive, the number of posts that I encountered that had recovery records available was a lot closer to 100%.

Does anyone else remember it being this way? Or am I remembering fantasies?

Sort of offtopic: what causes those occasional posts where parts are numbered wrong and cause a big ol' mess? You know, when r26 is really r25, r27 is really r26, etc. It seems so strange that this occurs - I mean are people hand-naming files for some reason?

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
I'm surprised by the 10% figure - when was that sample taken? I imagine in the parchive era.

Hmm... Just a couple of months ago. I sampled a *bunch* (can't remember how many), all from different posters -- though most were of the new-breed irc type -- and few had recover on. I did a "YO, newbies - Yes, you. Turn on *Recover* on all RAR'd posts..." ...blah, blah... on 9/22, so I was curious if there was any change. And, whatever the reason for it, there was.

xo wrote:
Sort of offtopic: what causes those occasional posts where parts are numbered wrong and cause a big ol' mess? You know, when r26 is really r25, r27 is really r26, etc. It seems so strange that this occurs - I mean are people hand-naming files for some reason?

I think these are usually PP2K posts -- maybe if it loses the connection or bombs right on the end of the last segment then resumes, its internal numbering gets mixed up. Just a guess.

(inc)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum