abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Ever wonder?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Ever wonder? Reply with quote

Ever wonder if you'll ever watch some of the stuff you burn?

Some series I know I'll watch, eventually. There are others, though, that I wonder about. I look back thru my CDs, at the very first ones I burned, and see series I collected back then (Megami Kouhosei/Candidate for Goddess/Pilot Candidate comes to mind) and when I ask myself if I'll ever watch, the best I can come up with is "In all honesty, probably not".

I have a rainy day mentality, though, that keeps me going. One day, this will all end, either AT&T/Comcast pulls the plug on their internal servers, or I switch to carrier that doesn't provide a newsfeed, or some sort of cap comes into play. Maybe then, I tell myself, I'll have the time to watch all of these.

Truth be told, it would probably take me years, if not decades to watch all this stuff.

I think I need help.

-xo
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack, and wouldn't you know it, the new season appears to have started.

Here's a link I found with some pics and synopses for some new series: http://www.anime-city.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84.

And as ever, please post your impressions of any that you've watched/preview. Apparently, Wolf's Rain is a hot one...

-xo
HollyBerries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh...I'm the same way, only I pessimistically figure that one of these days copyright holders are finally going to find a way to protect their holdings and things like binary newsgroups and P2P are either going to be done away with or rendered unuseable, and then all these CDs of unwatched anime are going to hold me over for a while until I have to start shelling out money to see what I want Wink

And speaking of Wolf's Rain...hrrm. Looks like three different groups are doing it? Does anyone know which one is the "best" of the three at this point? The only one I've seen is the ANBU/A-Keep version which is a high enough encode rate to make my computer stutter while watching it if it's doing anything else (hey, that's probably a plus for some people, though) but the translation seems to be very good and it's a very nice picture quality - on the DivX Playa, anyway, in WMP it had some graphical glitches here and there.

HB
Chung

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man.. I have got to stop skipping day at a time for hitting the groups...

One series that sticks to my mind as if I'm ever going to watch is Miracle Girls.. got all the eps.. burned the straight to cd.. watched only 1 I think.. I barely give myself time to watch what I do have... but I think it's more of a "I want all the anime I can get" mentality rather than "rainy-day" mentality for me, though.

animenfo.com had a spot listing new anime for the season.. but I cant remember where it was or what it had.. doesn't help that the site is currently down either..
Gorunova

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I rather liked Miracle Girls. It's a series I watched but didn't keep, and now I'm kinda wishing I had kept it.

I plan to eventually watch everything I have, but I'm definitely putting the more interesting stuff at the head of the queue. A lot of series I want to watch are blocked by missing episodes though - I've decided I prefer to watch several sequential episodes at a time.

In the last few weeks I've hardly been downloading anything, but now that new series are appearing that might change.
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HB, the 4th sub posted of Wolf's Rain, by Solar & Aoshi, is the best (IMO) though the picture is not as sharp as ANBU/A-Keep's.

(inc)
Melchior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself, I've got a rainy-day mentality-- I'm in my last term at university right now, and I don't yet know where I'll be headed once I graduate.

Will I be able to live in Vancouver with a high-speed internet connection? Will I end up on a deep-sea ship for a while, never to be near a high-speed internet connection for years? Will I be out in the bush somewhere in BC stuck only on dialup?

If I stay in a big city with fast internet, who's to say that the media companies won't figure out what goes on in the binary newsgroups and shut things down?

Regardless of the circumstances, I've got years' worth of unwatched anime in my collection-- some good shows, some schlock, lots of in-between stuff.

As for the new series, I watched a few of them last night, and I was disappointed. I watched the first episodes of Gear Fighter Dendoh, Stratos 4, Licensed by Royal, and Wolf's Rain. Of those, Wolf's Rain is the only one that I hold any hope for. The rest felt tired and done-before. Perhaps I was in a bad mood last night...

Have any of you downloaded any of the other new series? Anything you can recommend, or suggest looks promising?
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a lot of stuff I haven't had time to watch saved up. Of course it's not as much a backlog as I'd like to have saved up (being a relative newbie to the groups) for the day when I'm back on dialup. Which will be pretty soon. Crying or Very sad

!@$#$^@&^*#!#$?@$@ Adelphia and Sprint!!!! Evil or Very Mad

I actually watched a few of the new crop in the past few days. Stratos4 and Raimuiro Senkitan: after 1 ep each, blah...

Wolf's Rain does look to be promising though only having seen 1 ep it's hard to say. It didn't grab me like WHR did with it's first episode.

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu looked ok after 1 episode viewed. Decent animation/character design at least.

Mouse: UberFanservice Wink

The Best one I've had time to watch recently however is the first episode of the new Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou OVA (Quiet Country Cafe). Beautifull Little anime IMO.

Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko (She and Her Cat) OVA was nice too. Cute little piece of mushy anime prose. Wink

I'm really going to miss all this stuff a lot when I'm done moving and stuck back in dialup purgatory. I wish I had the backlog some of you old anime geezers have. That much might last me till one of these screwed up corporations comes through with cable/dsl. *sigh*
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel, happens I was in sampling mode last night also -- maybe it was all the ep 1's AnimeJunkie posted. Let me preface it to say that I usually try to watch at least the first two episodes before I give up on anything, and here I was just sampling bits and pieces from single episodes, so nothing is definitive. And the fact that some of the subs were .... errr.... deficient didn't help.

Wolf's Run -- watched all the keep-anbu version of 1 & 2 and some of the new Solar & Aoshi ep 1. Well, best of the bunch as you say, but considering who it's from, I was a little dispointed. Even Yoko Kanno's music didn't seem up to her normal level. Lots of room for growth though -- obviously we haven't even heard the main female character (I'm assuming this) speak.

L/R -- may have suffered from AJ'ites, but all I could keep thinking was Get Backers. Two guys, retro car, female boss (I think), retrieve stuff.... Ack. Anyway, I only watched the first half -- I'll wait for another translation and try again.

Oh, and what's with all the English opening songs -- which, for a reason that escapes me, the subbers feel the need to title.

Mouse -- well, again AJ's (normal example "However, Mouse is saying that he's only sublating his art of theft"). One guy, 3 girls that can't keep their hands off him, seen in maids outfits followed by cat girl outfits, all with lots of *bounce*. There is a beautiful head shot of a raven haired girl in a red dress in the opening (painted by Mouse supposedly), but that was the _only_ thing positive that I saw for this series. Target audience == male, age 13. Well, I'm the former, but sure not the latter.

Gear Figher Dendoh -- watched the opening and a few randomly selected samples. Outside of Gekiganger 3, mechs in primary colors don't do it for me, I'm afraid. Is it as juvenile as it looked?

Nanaka 6/17 -- watched all of ep 1 (AJ's again). Not great, but there may be some hope for this one. If nothing else, they've given themselves the chance for some satire on magic girl anime. And it looks like it might appeal to the romantics.

Hmm... this should probably all be in it's own thread... Oh well...

(inc)
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the latest new batch, so far I've only checked out Nanaka 6-17, Stratos4 and Raimuiro Senkitan. I have some hope for Nanaka although a fear the ending may be terribly predictable.

As for the other two - been there, done that, got the fanservice. Or, I downloaded all this data and all I got was this lousy fanservice! Smile

She and Her Cat was nice though. It would be great if there was a whole series of short one-off poetic morsels like that, perhaps each written by a different person.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
...I was in sampling mode last night also -- maybe it was all the ep 1's AnimeJunkie posted. Let me preface it to say that I usually try to watch at least the first two episodes before I give up on anything, and here I was just sampling bits and pieces from single episodes, so nothing is definitive.

+5 informative.

Thanks for the previews, inc! I'm sure the cumulative bandwidth you've saved is considerable.

-xo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, xo, you shouldn’t encourage me...

I’ve had the feeling lately that I’m grabbing too many series without checking to see if they are anything even worth having, hence I’m really trying to keep up with the ep 1’s & 2’s this *season* so that maybe I can avoid some of this. What cushions this though is the fact that I’m grabbing not so much for myself, but for a group of watchers of varying tastes and sensibilities. Still, there is only so much time and BW.

In the *old days*, we (and I mean North American anime fans) benefited from a natural selection process – due to the effort involved in old style fan-subbing, most of the really bad shows tended to get filtered out long before they would make it onto Usenet. The posts of the Summer of ’99 when aba/abma started may have looked horrible, with, at times barely discernable subtitles, but the shows were among the best ever: undergoing their first posts were things like Trigun, Kenshin, Slayers, NGE… Now, at least at a season’s start, it all seems to get thrown at us, usually in triplicate – the Good, the Bad, and, definitely, the Ugly. Some decisions must be made.

Hmm… much longer preamble than I planned…leading into the rather prosaic fact that I watched two more new shows. Seeing that G mentioned Stratos4 and Raimuiro Senkitan, I tried those next. Seemingly similar at the start – groups of girls being trained as *fighters* -- some against evil, others against rocks, from what little I saw they go vastly different directions. Interestingly, in both the series -- at least so far -- it's the lead female character that gets all the fan-service shots. And both are the stereotypical *ditzy* one of their group. Do great (and not so great) minds think alike, or what...

Raimuiro Senkitan – watched all of AJ’s ep 1 and ANBU-AoneE's ep 2. I just finished the end of the second episode and, frankly, this is one weird puppy of a show (and that is NOT an endorsement) . OK, the setting of the Russo-Japanese War is strange enough (“Mighty Russia vs. poor, weak Japan” to paraphrase the opening), but I kind of thought that gave it possibilities. Well, as the main fighting seems to be mech-puppets animated by magic girls (no spoiler really – they give that to you in the opening), they could have set it anywhere from the Neolithic on up. And, as G mentions, there is panty fan-service a-plenty, mainly confined to one character. That doesn’t have to be a negative, but in this series they truly turn it into one – after all I only watched two episodes, but they kept doing basically the same bottoms-up *joke* over and over again. But none of this tops the ending of ep 2…I’don’t know how much to say… Again, from the opening, you already know the battleship can fly – what you don’t know is the source of that power… 'Nough said... I’m not going to bother with any more of this show myself, but it certainly provided me with a new yard-stick against which to measure strange anime moments.

Stratos4 – watched all of ep 1. Well, the above show makes this one seem tame. Though G mentions fan-service, in the first episode there are really only a couple of instances, and on the last one it actually skews into a *sexual harassment* comment – not quite the norm. Though the female characters dominate the show, there seem to be some interesting male characters also. There is certainly at least of trace of subtlety, something that Raimuiro Senkitan almost completely lacked. There may be at least a little story potential here – I’m going to watch at least one more episode anyway. I may not end up grabbing this series, but at least it didn’t leave me cringing like the end of Raimuiro Senkitan's ep 2 did.

One other thing… I know I’ve seen She and Her Cat before, but I can’t seem to find any record of it on my computer or on disc – was it posted as a raw a long time ago? I'm thinking I might have it under another name.

(inc)
Melchior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:

One other thing? I know I?ve seen She and Her Cat before, but I can?t seem to find any record of it on my computer or on disc ? was it posted as a raw a long time ago? I'm thinking I might have it under another name.

When I watched it, I also couldn't shake the feeling that I'd seen it before. Now that you say the same thing, I decided to have a look for it. I tried searching my anime list for titles containing "cat", and no go. Tried for titles with "neko", and bang, found it: "Kanoto to Kanojo no Neko", which was posted under the filename "KanojoToKanojoNoNeko_eng.avi", it is english-subbed, and the file creation date that I have listed (for my burned copy) is June 16, 2002.
(inc)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, there it is, Kanojo To Kanojo No Neko.avi, still on my HD. Interesting, it is _not_ a fan-sub -- looks like a true studio subtitled effort. Title panel and chapter panels are a little different too. Heh, still the new digi-subbers translation actually seems a little better.

(inc)
Melchior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the new series, I just finished watching Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ep 1 (AF), and it was good-- I enjoyed watching it and I'm looking forward to the next ep. The story was a little slow-moving, but I'm not one to complain about that. It's about an apprentice magician who's just been assigned to work under someone more experienced.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum