abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

New program: VTE (Verify & test -> Extract)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prehnite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: New program: VTE (Verify & test -> Extract) Reply with quote

If you don't mind me imposing, I'm sure most all of you here download a ton of stuff each day. I also fit into this category and got pissed at programs like winrar and fsraid. Well, I started a small little program and after a bit of testing I've come up with something that's worth releasing. Something that is intended to make life simple. So I ask you guys, the active members of a high profile binaries group (One I download from a lot). Do I have something, or don't I? Well, check it out, tell me what you think.

http://prehnite.com/vte/

Here's my little summary for those that dont like following links:
A program that will take a directory full of rar's, par's, and sfv's. Make sense of it all, and extract what it safely can to an output directory. If successful extraction, deletes (or moves) related files. All with NO USER INTERACTION. Created and tested on Win2k, Might/Should run on other systems.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting idea. Sort of an intelligent script-like tool for cleaning out your downloads.

Will it auto-correct errors using PARs, REVs and recovery records?

Will it generate a list of unfixable errors so you can go get fills?

Will it have options to control the directory structure of the output?
Ie, everything to one directory, or subdirectories based on the archive file names.

Will it handle disk-full errors gracefully?

Will it be cross-platform?

Will it be configurable to work with any archiver?

Those are the major things I can think of.
Prehnite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
Sounds like an interesting idea. Sort of an intelligent script-like tool for cleaning out your downloads.

Started out as a batch file, worked it's way into a program. ^_^
Gorunova wrote:

Will it auto-correct errors using PARs, REVs and recovery records?

Currently only PAR's. I did write a stupid little program that would try a few things with recovery records a while back. But lately, whenever I needed fills, the recovery record wasn't there. And along the same lines, REV's are few and far apart. It still gets about 98% of the work done.
Gorunova wrote:

Will it generate a list of unfixable errors so you can go get fills?

Both before it starts extracting stuff, and when it's done, whatever is still left in your directory.
Gorunova wrote:

Will it have options to control the directory structure of the output?
Ie, everything to one directory, or subdirectories based on the archive file names.

Ewww, pattern matching and/or Regex are two evils I'll stay away from at this point in time.
Gorunova wrote:

Will it handle disk-full errors gracefully?

Currently, if rar can't extract it, rar fails. Then my program does nothing to the files. So it kinda does it, but if you still have a couple gigs left to extract, rar is gonna try and extract them all, and fail each time. So I'll add it to the todo.
Gorunova wrote:

Will it be cross-platform?

My only goal is GNU/Linux at the moment. I might release the source, so who knows.
Gorunova wrote:

Will it be configurable to work with any archiver?

Back to the "rar is the only thing posted", I can see your point, but not right now.
Melchior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, nifty! I like the sound of this-- I don't care much for running PAR files manually or extracting RARs manually-- I'd rather entirely avoid the process of having to click anything. Here's my set of questions:

-My binary news program mangles most filenames when it downloads them. FSRaid then fixes 'em right back to normal (but not without clicking the mouse a few times). Can the PAR handler deal with misnamed files?

-My binary news program's manglings generally consist of dropping "excess" periods. For example, "animename_[subber]part04.rar" Notice how there's no period before the "part04". If an entire set of files is named this way, WinRAR has no problem extracting the set. Can your RAR handler deal with this misnaming problem?

-Sometimes posters don't post a .PAR, but do post P## files. If a file's incomplete on my server, and there's no PAR, I'll download a P##. Will this program have any way of checking for P## files is there's no PAR?

I'm looking forward to seeing this program in action!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off, the beta is up for download if you follow the link. Feel free to try it out. That version has successfuly extracted everything I've downloaded for the past 2 weeks now.
Melchior wrote:

-My binary news program mangles most filenames when it downloads them. FSRaid then fixes 'em right back to normal (but not without clicking the mouse a few times). Can the PAR handler deal with misnamed files?

I use the dos version of par, up on Sourceforge as "parchive". I always run it with -f "Fix faulty filenames", which works kinda, but not as good as FSRaid. Well, I've had good luck, let me know what you find.
Melchior wrote:

-My binary news program's manglings generally consist of dropping "excess" periods. For example, "animename_[subber]part04.rar" Notice how there's no period before the "part04". If an entire set of files is named this way, WinRAR has no problem extracting the set. Can your RAR handler deal with this misnaming problem?

*Peeks at the source real quicklike*.. Yep, all I look at is "part#.rar" or "part##.rar" or "part###.rar" at the end of the filename. I put quotes around it before passing it to rar.exe, so should work fine. *cough* "Should" *cough* :)
Melchior wrote:

-Sometimes posters don't post a .PAR, but do post P## files. If a file's incomplete on my server, and there's no PAR, I'll download a P##. Will this program have any way of checking for P## files is there's no PAR?

Works perfectly.
Melchior wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing this program in action!

Then go download it =P
(inc)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't grabbed your program yet, but just mentioning that one of our *locals* in aba/abma wrote a rather sophisticated app that does similar processing quite awhile ago, though as far as I know, it remains in beta (which doesn't stop me from using it every day though). Not sure how much else I should say because it wasn't made generally avialable. Hmm... I'll see if I can dig up an e-mail addy....

Just mentioning, because he might have some interesting input.

(inc)
Gorunova

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside about the file name mangling, I've been using 1-4a Rename for a while to fix that, and it works well:

http://www.1-4a.com/rename/

My biggest complaint about it is that it doesn't seem to be able to rename directories.
Keikai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*chuckle* I keep meaning to release it for the rest of the group, inc. Razz Interestingly, like the author of this app, it started as a batch file (although in my case it was for RAR recovery which as anyone knows is somewhat clumsy using WinRAR). Of course, it rapidly grew beyond that and after developing it (on and off) for about two years it's a whole new animal.

All three of the group regulars that have been beta testing it for me use it quite a bit as far as I know. I know I use it daily. I think I offered it to xo and oblio (and perhaps Gorunova?), but in their cases it wasn't ideal since it's Windows only. I always meant to offer it to a few other regulars but never got around to it. Hmm...makes me realize I havent seen Onakra much recently, probably more my absence than anything.

The main thing that has kept me back from releasing it more publically is that I need to find a new web host for my website, which has been down for a while. But I've been dragging my feet on that purely due to the expense. I guess I need to get back to it. That's actually one of my two current short-term priorities, get my website back up and the FAQ here.

Actually I have quite a few apps that I've written to make usenet use easier, I'll get them all up there. I guess I'll take this as a form of motivation and get on it. Razz If I had my website up, y'all could at least look at the documentation which has screenshots, but alas, no site. Embarassed

If any of the group regulars want to try it just message me. Otherwise, I'll try to make it available soon.
Prehnite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! Someone to do my work for me :D

Well, I would be glad to try out another program and see what it can do. It would be great to see a program like this robustly made and in active development. I'm only releasing it now under the notion of "here it is, I'll fix some bugs, but no real feature improvements" mainly due to lack of time. So I'm afraid I can't offer much to the community.

However, in my prog's defence, I have written it with porting in mind. Using only the STL libraries and no MFC bs. Keeping it console only and separating out any OS specific stuff. Perhaps I should concentrate on that front if that's where it has any future. My only real attachment to windows lies in Xnews, cuz it kicks ass. Just need to finish my Xnews queue reader for nget.

Keikai: If hosting is your issue, have you thought about sourceforge?
Onakra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keikai wrote:
I always meant to offer it to a few other regulars but never got around to it. Hmm...makes me realize I havent seen Onakra much recently, probably more my absence than anything.

Well, I'm still around, but I don't voice myself too often anymore. Wink

Keikai wrote:
If any of the group regulars want to try it just message me. Otherwise, I'll try to make it available soon.

If you need more beta-testers I'll be glad to help out (I'm using Windows as well). Don't know how active I can be in that though.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum