abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Fills?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your fills policy?
No fills; use the existing PARs and/or segment fills only
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
I'll post more PARs if needed
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
I'll fill any reasonable part request
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Full repost in a pre-determined timeframe
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Depends on my current mood
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
other (see below)
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Fills? Reply with quote

All the talk about ABMAR and reposts made me think about my own policy for fills. In the pre-PAR days, I'd do any fill (but no full reposts) provided it was requested after 24 hours; now I find myself leaning towards a use-PARs-only, segment-fills-only policy. So I'm curious, what do the rest of you do when posting?
oblio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 pars with the post.
    segment (backfills) fills by request, assuming its sane (maybe 5 segments/rar max).
    rar reposts to ABMAR if they ask nice and I see it.

Its a pretty generous policy IMO, but I don't get too many takers against it unless things were shot on my servers side. If I had a real problem with fills, I'd just force them to go to an FTP server (like I do with FBC- not that I had problems with FBC, just that the scope of the project was too big to get bogged down in fills)

Anyone who is rude gets nothing but a killfile.
Keikai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do 20% parchive files with a full repost. Now, after our discussions in another thread, I'll probably switch to 25% parchive files and no reposts/fills (and voted as such).
Melchior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of the FBC posts that I've been doing for Oblio, in the past I've posted 20% extra with PARs, monitored completion on servers other than the one I was posting to, and posted segment fills as necessary to get the server that I was monitoring to 100% completion. If somebody's missing a few more files than they were able to download in PAR and they ask nicely, I'll usually post fills for them.
Onakra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also usually have about 15-20% worth of PARs, and will fill segments/parts (if reasonable) after that. Thank God not too many people are interested in my posts (or manage to get it complete) since I hardly get repost requests (in ABA/ABMA that is).

I have a follow up question: How long do you usually keep the archive+PARs? I usually only keep files 5-7 days, since I suspect that most people will have what they need within that period. But lately (mostly with the Excel posts) I get requests just a few hours or 1 day after I delete the files. What do you think: Is 7 days too short?

Onakra
user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 1 ep per week posts, I like to post on Monday and delete the files and PARs by Friday. I guess that's a pretty short interval, since some people don't or can't check the groups every day.

7 days seems fair to me. Seems like there are always people asking for fills weeks after something's gone up, and unless you have plenty of HD space, you have to draw the line somewhere.
oblio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't usefull at all, but I keep my rar's for 2-3 weeks, just because I have the space. I delete the pars after 3 or 4 days.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big message from a small-time reposter coming up here:

This current repost of the entire Dirty Pair TV series is my biggest posting project ever. I started out with a strict PARs-only stance, but I quickly softened it to accepting fill requests spotted before I finished posting the next ep - ie, I set aside space to save the parts from the ep previous to the one currently being posted.

It turned out I could actually spare more space that that, so I've secretly (oops! not so secret now) been saving parts for two, maybe three previous eps. If you've noticed all the fill requests I've been getting from Kosh, I'm getting hit up for quite a few fills. I know I'm going to get a lot of full ep requests when I get to the end too.

I know some of the requests come from not using PARs, but I can't easily tell. I know some of the late requests come from not reading my 00/nfo rules, but I don't hold that against them, and I'm willing to say tough luck if they break my rules.

I guess what I'm getting around to saying is this: Since my news server has bad completion problems, I have a lot of sympathy for people who request fills. I have a lot less sympathy for people who don't
read the NFO, but even so I'm sometimes one of those people due to the NFO having scrolled off by the time I get the last part downloaded. I don't have much sympathy at all for people who request full episodes simply because they missed them due to being new or going on vacation or only downloading on weekends.

I favor making sure that everyone who wants an ep can get it when it is posted (ie, fills or extra PARs or FTP), but I don't favor quick full ep reposts and I especially don't favor frequent full series reposts. Once per series per year, at very most.

Whew. I wonder how little I managed to say with all those words! Smile
Keikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Onakra's question - I used to save for two weeks minimum, or longer if I had space. Currently I only promise to save until I've verified it on other servers but I actually save it for about two weeks still. However that doesn't do people other than the regs much good since I don't do my own fills anymore. Twisted Evil I do, however, watch for any regular asking and then know I screwed up and want to have the parts for such an eventuality.

Re: Gorunova's comments - Posting something that big changed my stance on allot of things. I got a bit jaded during that bad boy. And back then, when parchive files weren't around yet, a full series repost made some good sense. Fills on large posts can often FAR exceed the size of the original post + a full repost. When I did a pure 200% post that was verified on multiple servers I felt people got a fair chance at it. Parchive files changed all that and fills are no longer the mass bandwidth hog (now its reposts). But the fact was there was a time, as I'm sure you remember, when fills bandwidth (and need) was truly massive. (All hail parchive Wink )
Jiss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to post (nowadays my upload speed is normally just slightly faster than dial-up and disconnects consistently), I didn't go much in for reposting since I started by helping with reposts and quickly became sick of the number of times I had to repost the same damn file. Best I ever got was over 200 reposted files and one file reposted seven times (so eight including the original post!) - that was Orqyman's Tenchi Movie back 'yonder time.

But anyway I digress, IMO parity covers most problems and only the occasional repost is needed. Either reposting when requested or just a single full repost in ABMAR is adequate.
hiso

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do ~20% par and fills if reasonsable and keep files for at least 7 days. People have plenty of time to request within a week, although i've seen some requests months after the post.

There are specific instances where i dont like filling: when the post makes it to a server complete, but the person fails to d/l before the files expire/messes something up clientside and blames it on the server.

Whats really annoying are the multi server isp usenet servers, (rr, @home, etc) one server gets the entire archive set complete, while another on the same isp missing 5, another missing a different 5, and another missing most of it, and people expect requests filled in the future >when< it happens again. I wish everyone payed for a premium server to use in these cases.

On another note, newsbins multi server feature is extremely useful if its used as a backup to an isp server. You dont have to d/l the entire file if your isp gets most of it complete, just fill the missing parts(saving a lot of bandwith quota)
Orqyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, hiso, you post damn fast. And of the people that post straight irc stuff, you're the most dependable one.

Well, I've been doing 15%, but after reading comments here, I guess I should bump up to 20% at least. I still feel that reposting is warranted for those exceptional situations that are still reasonable. My main thing is reasonable. And as to the poll, I'm one of the ones who answered "Depends on Mood".

I usually keep rars for 1-2 weeks now, and pars another week after that. I finally only keep the sfv or par file as a history of posts. So requests 1 month after the posting is just amazing, I think.

I'm pretty spoiled as a poster, because most often, someone reposts for me. It used to be that I was really b/w limited, but right now, that's not the case, its just that I find it easier, so I can move on and continue either with school, life, and/or more encodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum