abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

How often do you check abmar?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often do you check abmar?
As often as I check aba/abma
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
Only when I'm posting or looking for something
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Once in awhile, just to see what's going on
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Never
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Cowboy Neal
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 21

xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: How often do you check abmar? Reply with quote

Let's see if I can figure out this poll thing.

The thread on personal trading in the newsgroups makes me wonder how you all approach abmar.

I'm sort of ineligible for this poll because abmar is my duty assignment for animeusenet so I have to follow it pretty closely.

-xo
oblio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By always check I mean: "Load all new headers- make sure I've seen everything-delete all new headers".

I haven't pulled anything from there in months.
Onakra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check it as often as ABA/ABMA, usually just to see if there are any messages and to see what is posted.
I haven't downloaded anything there as far as I can remember.

Onakra
Keikai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of note, I used to be part of the "check as often as ABMA/ABA" crowd. But recently, due to some signficant bandwidth issues, switched to the second option. I preferred checking it as often, but had to find a few cutbacks...ABMAR headers was one of them.
matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Cowboy Neal! Reply with quote

oh my xo, getting a little slashdot-ish are we?
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Cowboy Neal! Reply with quote

matt wrote:

oh my xo, getting a little slashdot-ish are we?

slashdot? what's that Wink

I have to say, it does save me the trouble of coming up with a "none of the above apply so here is a generic option"
Melchior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Only when I'm posting or looking for something" only in the sense that I load up the new headers and then delete them right away since I'm very very very very rarely looking for anything.

...Actually, only a coupl days ago I unsubscribed Agent and NewsShark (a new NewsShark's been released that supports yEnc!) from ABMAR, so I'm no longer needlessly loading up headers there.
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check it every two or three days but like the rest of you I hardly, if ever download anything from there.

I haven't really used it since the end of my complete series repost of CCS which was...oh I don't remember now. It's all a blur.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick digression:

[quote="Neuralblastoma"]
"You think that when you die you go to heaven...You come to us"!
[/quote]

Well, that puts the last coffin nail in it. I KNEW there was something strangely, appealingly familiar about your avatar image. Smile

How do the later episodes compare to the first two? I've only seen the early ones.
moodorky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check it quite often since I always seem to be missing episodes in so many series thanks to that POS payserver (usenetserver) and @Home: from a year back. Thank God for easynews.
And, thanks to the volume in the main groups, it's so easy to miss certain small-ish episodes.
user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: You play a good game, boy! Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:

Well, that puts the last coffin nail in it. I KNEW there was something strangely, appealingly familiar about your avatar image. Smile

How do the later episodes compare to the first two? I've only seen the early ones.

I recognized the sphere right away, but it took me a little longer to realize whose reflection it was in the ball. Smile

The 3rd movie was too campy for my taste, and the 4th one explains a lot about the Tall Man's origin but didn't seem to have the same appeal as the first two... too much dimension-hopping and reuse of footage from the 1st film.
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to Gorunova and user Reply with quote

Phantasm is definitely one of the most original and unusual horror series. It never seems remotely affected by any other movies or "what's popular in horror now" crap.

The Tall Man is such a classic type of movie monster. His dialogue and screen time is kept to a minimum and very little is known about him. Especially in the first film. This makes him more mysterious and menacing than most movie monsters in the past 20 years.

Reggie Bannister plays one of the most unusual heros in movie history too. Don't you all want to be his friend? I'll have a drumstick Mr. Ice cream Man!

Here's my rundown:

Phantasm: great original horror/sci-fi with atmosphere and overall coolness. I highly recommend the DVD. It's only $17.99 and has tonnes of extras like commentary, home movie footage, Angus Scrimm speaking at a Fangoria convention, a commercial he did for them, trailers, radio spots, international poster art, an old TV interview with Angus Scrimm and Don Coscarelli...

Phantasm II: Big budget sequal and overall very good, save for James LeGros replacing Michael Baldwin as Mike. That becomes especially annoying when Baldwin returns for III and IV. Too bad Baldwin wasn't in it. That would have made things more consistant. Still, this is the best sequal so far as it maintains most of the original's atmosphere and direction. A true sequal that doesn't stray from the original ala Alien.

I want Reggie to make me one of those quadruple barrel shotguns and so do you.

Phantasm III: Lord Of The Dead: Fast-paced with too much cheese, I'm not sure what Coscarelli was trying to do with this one. He doesn't create any atmosphere this time and goes overboard with the sphere action. I like about half of this movie. The parts without the black kung-fu girl and the little kid. It had potential to be really good. Too bad those two characters were included. I still recommend it though. You get to see the footage that was cut out of II(the second Tall Man at the beginning) and what Coscarelli did with trying to explain the spheres was pretty interesting.

Phantasm IV: OblIVion: Definitely the worst of the series mainly because so much footage from the first is used. Not enough new material. Though I must say it's nowhere near as bad as Silent Night Deadly Night 2 which I think was composed of like %50 perecent footage from the first. Possibly more.

Phantasm V: Phantasm's End: Due out sometime this year. Yes, I'm looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: "Ever try vanilla?" Reply with quote

Neuralblastoma wrote:

I want Reggie to make me one of those quadruple barrel shotguns and so do you.

Truer words have never been spoken.
With one of those babies and the Hemi Cuda they roll around in, I could rule the world. Wink
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great rundown, NB. I think I'll wait for #5 to come out then watch them all in one day. Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum