abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

FAQ Revision Status

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: FAQ Revision Status Reply with quote

I was thinking yesterday after writing a post to Melchior, that while some folks are aware of the approximate status of the current FAQ revision is, since I've discussed it with them, I've left others in the dark and that's been rather rude of me. Therefore, I thought I'd post its current status.

As some know, I was without DSL for about two weeks recently when DirectTVDSL reported that they were closing their doors. Speakeasy, the ISP I chose to switch to, bungled things a bit and so I was without DSL until they got things working. I was amazed at the sheer amount of free time I had without DSL! Smile

Therefore, I curbed my urge to actually watch anime, and took the opportunity to spend several full days working on the FAQ. Some sections were extremely outdated and I needed to rewrite most sections that I did not rewrite in the last revision. I'm happy to say that I got most of it done. This past week, since I got my DSL back, has been hectic as I've been trying to get caught up so I had to put further progress on hold, but things have calmed a bit now and I'm planning to work on it this weekend.

Also, I've merged all applicable annotations. I expect to continue working on this revision during this next week and then will submit the changes to xo. Because there are a few structural changes, it might take a few days to go up once I get it in to him as we get coordinated.

The one section I'm not updating will be the encoding section as I feel it will delay things too much. I will go to work on that after this revision is up and hopefully will have that section updated within a reasonable amount of time. Also, xo is going to do some serious rewriting of the linux sections, which I do not feel I am qualified to do. But until then, those are only going to be updated with the information in the annotations that have been made.

I am quite excited about this revision and I hope you all will be as well. I think it will be worth the rather long wait. Smile
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: FAQ Revision Status Reply with quote

Keikai wrote:
Also, xo is going to do some serious rewriting of the linux sections

Well, I don't know if the rewrite I had in mind can be considered serious. The information currently is a bit dated but things have actually simplified quite a bit since the last update of the information.

Basically, consolidation and a bit of natural selection has occurred to the point that there are two options for Linux: mplayer and xine. Other than this, the RealMedia player for those who want it. No full-blown QuickTime option exists for Linux, though a recent breakthrough allows mplayer/xine to play some QTs.

I'm throwing this up now to see if anyone has anything to add about the Linux section. Other than the players mentioned, I was planning on mentioning some of the libraries (avifle/divx core/xvid), but nothing too detailed since almost everything is nicely packaged nowdays.

-xo
Keikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: FAQ Revision Status Reply with quote

xo wrote:
Well, I don't know if the rewrite I had in mind can be considered serious.

*chuckle* I suppose I might have overstated a bit, but who doesn't want melodrama when announcing something a emotionally charged as a FAQ revision! Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum