abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

What's ffdshow?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: What's ffdshow? Reply with quote

Lately I've been noticing some posts with the codec listed as "ffdshow" in the subject line. I thought ffdshow was a player. What gives?
superjaded

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the name should imply once you think about it -- ffdshow is a directshow filter based on libavcodec from the FFmpeg suite (which is a program). It takes advantage of the fact that DivX3-5, MS MPEG4vx and XviD are all based off the same standard (MPEG4) and makes it possible for people who don't need to worry about trying to open stuff in VirtualDub and lets them, theoretically, play it back using one monolithic (although "monolithic" sort of gives the impression that it's slow -- I've heard that on slower computers, it plays back the most advanced encodes faster compared to DivX5 & XviD) directshow filter.

However, this is sort of off-topic for the "Encoding" forum because ffdshow can only decode via directshow, so you can't even OPEN an encode in VirtualDub with ffdshow, let alone encode with it -- it's not to be confused with ffvfw .. which is a vfw codec that can both encode and decode. Although to get a fairly recent build you'll more likely have to scrounge around Doom9's forums (check the XviD section, of all places).

And the people who are suggesting using ffdshow are probably saying to do so because of the problems XviD (which I'm sure is the codec they're using) seems to cause with people's system. Reminds me of a question posed by -h of doom9 forum fame: "Why is it that XviD is always the component that causes unstable systems to finally topple over and crash?" (for those who might be interested, read Koepi's response below).
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote,
Quote:
Although to get a fairly recent build you'll more likely have to scrounge around Doom9's forums (check the XviD section, of all places).

No scrounging needed:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/

Edit: Arrrgh!!!! Man I have got to read more carefully. Sorry superjaded. I'm a putz. Sad

Last edited by LaughnCynic on Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
superjaded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaughnCynic wrote:

No scrounging needed:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/

Er.. like I said, ffvfw.. not to be confused with ffdshow.

I don't see any ffvfw builds on there. Smile
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had only 1 problem with XviD and it was with the xvid.ax and ogm with external vobsub (sub/idx) files. It wouldn't read the timecodes. Other than that, I've not had any problems. (Corrected this by going back a build.)

I don't like ffdshow. It's given me only problems. I installed it recently, to see if it would help with this divx5 episode, that would crash at certain points. (It was Gate Keepers 21 #5. Great series. Very Happy) This of course fixed the problem for that episode and shortly after I was done watching it was uninstalled again.

Superjaded, you are a regular (lurker?) to doom9's forums? I've been reading a lot off those forums. My favorite thread was in the new a/v formats. Where wmv9 and rv9 were having it out. Very Happy
Gorunova

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. So from what I've read, ffdshow is a decoder only, and can read data produced by multiple encoders.

That would mean it's not correct to say ffdshow is the format of a given episode. I'm glad I wasn't logging it.
superjaded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeonMcNichol wrote:
I have had only 1 problem with XviD and it was with the xvid.ax and ogm with external vobsub (sub/idx) files. It wouldn't read the timecodes. Other than that, I've not had any problems. (Corrected this by going back a build.)

Odd. I just got a dvdrip that was XviD, OGM (are your Ogg filters up to date? The Subtitle filter might also be conflicting VobSub.. so you might want to uninstall tobias's subtitle filter.. your softsubs should still work within the OGMs with just vobsub as well, I think) and separate sub/idx files.. it played fine.

Quote:

Superjaded, you are a regular (lurker?) to doom9's forums?

* superjaded uncapitalizes his nick Wink

Guilty as charged. Smile Yeah, I haven't had much of a reason to do anything but lurk in that forum.. and almost afraid to do anything but. There's too much info on those forums to post something and not get yelled at for breaking forum rule #1 Razz
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:
Odd. I just got a dvdrip that was XviD, OGM (are your Ogg filters up to date? The Subtitle filter might also be conflicting VobSub.. so you might want to uninstall tobias's subtitle filter.. your softsubs should still work within the OGMs with just vobsub as well, I think) and separate sub/idx files.. it played fine.

I posted a thread here on the forum about the problem. It may have been fixed recently. I've not checked the latest builds. Still using the one I have. It works fine. Very Happy

Quote:
* superjaded uncapitalizes his nick Wink

That wasn't to capitalize your name, that was just the first word in a sentence. Yes, english class gets me.

Quote:
Guilty as charged. Smile Yeah, I haven't had much of a reason to do anything but lurk in that forum.. and almost afraid to do anything but. There's too much info on those forums to post something and not get yelled at for breaking forum rule #1 Razz

I lurk in the new a/v and xvid sections, but I'm active down in the SVCD one, up to a point. I'm surprised how many newbies wait the week to ask a question they could have found out, by reading the FAQ.

Gorunova wrote:
Thanks. So from what I've read, ffdshow is a decoder only, and can read data produced by multiple encoders.

That would mean it's not correct to say ffdshow is the format of a given episode. I'm glad I wasn't logging it.

I think the person who was posting those, might either be, like said, saying to use that because of the problems or was checking his filter list while playing to see which codec is used. I actually wouldn't recommend to try ffdshow unless you can't get the original codecs to decode right. I've been having a lot of problems myself with it. Maybe in the future, when all the bugs are gone, I'll give it a permanent stay. Right now though, I'd rather decode with the codecs used.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum