abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Nag list -- any suggestions for #25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Nag list -- any suggestions for #25 Reply with quote

Here's the nags I've posted. I thought I'd recycle at 25, but maybe replace some of the less important ones if something else seems to be a more obvious need (no dvdr's??). I was going to do a *Keep segment size under 450K when posting* for #25. If someone has something they think should fit there instead, post here in the next few hours and I'll consider it (no prize for the *winner*, though Razz ):

01 :: Please do not post hentai in aba/abma/abmar
02 :: When posting with PP2K, always put the "$F" at the end of the subject line
03 :: For discussion/requests/info try abma.d (http://abma.x-maru.org/bb)
04 :: Don't post unRARed binaries
05 :: Turn on *Recover* when RARing posts (and think about *Store* while you're at it).
06 :: Put the ep # before the part count.
07 :: When posting a movie or an SVCD (or similar large binary), make it a multi-day post.
08 :: Please refrain from putting requests in the subject line of binary posts.
09 :: Post binary tests to alt.binaries.test, not aba/abma.
10 :: Please refrain from HIWIH posts
11 :: Before making a request for a fill read any '00' or nfo attached to the post.
12 :: Combine requests for part fills for a given episode into one message
13 :: Before posting a new episode check to make sure someone didn't just post it
14 :: Don't nym-shift
15 :: Indicate if your post is a Sub or Dub
16 :: Use AnimeUsenet to check when/if something has been posted
17 :: Post Dragonball(Z) and Sailormoon in their own groups, not in aba/abma
18 :: When posting parts split with HJSplit, be sure to include a checksum for the video file
19 :: Please post the codec in the subject line
20 :: Do not include things like your post's 'nfo' or 'sfv' in your PAR set
21 :: Do not archive your post as a self-extracting executable
22 :: If applicable, please include the subber's name on posts/reposts,
23 :: Limit the length of the Subject Line of your binary post
24 :: Whether posting, downloading or following the groups, use the right *tool* for each job

(inc)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about (my biases are showing here Wink ):

"Contribute to the FAQ".

Something about the FAQ being community-driven, that everyone is free to contribute info, tips, suggestions, etc. in realtime.

Me not so good writing um.

-xo

PS. Now if people would actually read the boldfaced red letters telling them not to post support questions to the FAQ notes...
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Nag list -- any suggestions for #25 Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
Here's the nags I've posted. I thought I'd recycle at 25,

I thought the nag numbers referred to the number of subjects, not the total number of nags posted so far.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got another one:

"Don't archive multiple episodes into one rar set".

Wastes bandwidth for someone who only wants one episode out of the bunch, for example. More prone to being useless if one part is missing, etc.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I like 'em both xo: I'm surprised I forgot the multi-ep in one rar set as it was on my original list; hadn't thought of the faq one, though. Keikai may be nearing showing all his hard work so I'm not sure about the timing.

Gorunova, I'm proceeding as you originally thought. I'll keep the nag # applying to the specific subject, thus, in a few days you'll see NAG #0001 with regards to hentai again. I just thought 25 nags was enough, but it may go higher.

(inc)

Last edited by (inc) on Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Keikai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for people contributing. Only thing is that right now, as inc was mentioning, so much new material has been written in addition to including all notes up to a few weeks ago, allot of things people might write notes about is likely to be already taken care of.

So perhaps on this go around a simply "Read the FAQ" placeholder could be added with a change to "Read and contribute to the FAQ" the next time we get there.

I'm really struggling with this last section I'm working on, but I'm going to just put my foot down and stop changing it soon. Past week and a half got taken up with the usual, to be expected, but still unplanned RL stuff. Smile

I think I had a suggestion or two for nags, but I cant think of any right now...it's ridiculously late and I'm a bit loopy. I'm sure more will come up for future "go arounds" though, after you've started from the beginning again.
Damian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: How about limiting the length of name of the file? Reply with quote

I've noticed as I go through trying to burn discs that there are a few files whose names are too long for Nero to handle. How about a nag about file name length?

Damian
Keikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of the nags as a subset of the group rules and guidelines containing the most serious or abused issues. While mention of long filenames might be worth mentioning in posting section of the FAQ, I don't know if it's really abused or severe enough of an issue to be a nag. To keep the nags from becoming diluted, I think new nags should be added sparingly.

Personally, I rename all files before burning anyways, so long filenames dont bother me a bit (especially since I log any of the useful information in the long filename before renaming). But that's just how it affects me. If a majority of folks want a recommended file name length restriction (as there is with subject lengths) I can include it in the FAQ, but I still don't see it as being that necessary and would only do so if allot of folks feel this way.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I got another one: DON'T DO "FLOODS".

Sort of related to #7, but I think worth it's own. I think people bring this practice from other newsgroups (mp3 groups, for example), where it's not as huge a deal, but a 26 anime episode flood is quite a different beast from posting 5 albums of mp3s of some group.

It's also been an increasing problem lately, or at least it seems that way to me.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well timed request, xo. From the Believe It or Not Department: Just yesterday I was sticking in the usually boilerplate on an Outlaw Star flood and I thought that maybe I should just repost the nag instead of doing a personal "please read..." (<== invariant text -- makes them easier to search for later Razz ). Ack! No nag -- couldn't believe it; re-read that list 3 times to varify. I've been posting personal and general messages on it for literally years in aba/abma and consider it the biggest danger to group health. I know I posted a general message about it just before I started the nags, and must have mentally *crossed it off*. Oh well...

The #25 nag was:
## NAG #0025 :: Don't archive multiple episodes into one rar set
...and, frankly, I was rather suprised how much this one was contested -- seemed a no-brainer to me.

I'll add a few more this time around. Some possibilites in the order that they have occurred to me are:
#Don't change the SL so much it loses its connection with its parent in a true Subject Line sort (I hate messages like "Please post ep 34" -- sorry, Xnews users)
#Post your PARs after the RARs for max benefit -- and don't overdo the # of PARs.
#Reduce part size on smaller posts to make PARs more efficient. (really not a very important one, but I kind of like it)
#When posting binaries with Agent, make sure each file attachment is in its own message (maybe too app specific for a nag)
#For max compatibility just use ASCII 33-126 in file names (but made more newbie friendly)
#Don't v-spam (but Mel covers this)
#Don't SHOUT (kind of lame)
#Don't Flood (ah, again, the obvious)

...comments, corrections??

(inc)
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
## NAG #0025 :: Don't archive multiple episodes into one rar set
...and, frankly, I was rather suprised how much this one was contested -- seemed a no-brainer to me.

It was contested mostly by that trolling tard who paid the group a visit for a little while. Sad It is a no-brainer to me too.

I think the NAGs are best when they're concisely targeted at the most common abuses and newbie questions (thier intention I think). So... Other than the "Don't Flood" one I don't see the rest you mention as pressing. (or easilly described/targeted in the concise format of a NAG)

The exception may be Melchior's patrol zone of subject line abuse. I'm not sure how to appropriately word a short NAG subject to cover all the common request/text post subject line abuses in one. (v-spam, shouting, special characters, excessive punctuation)
(inc)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaughnCynic wrote:
It was contested mostly by that trolling tard who paid the group a visit for a little while
He really reminded me of good ol' GUTB, though the latter is still around under that nick.

Quote:
I think the NAGs are best when they're concisely targeted at the most common abuses and newbie questions (thier intention I think).
Yup, always...I most of all don't want to be rewriting the faq.

Quote:
So... Other than the "Don't Flood" one I don't see the rest you mention as pressing. (or easilly described/targeted in the concise format of a NAG)
I pretty sure I'll post the PARs _after_ the RARs one also -- so many newbies seem to take the sort order that PP2K gives them as something unchangable.

Quote:
The exception may be Melchior's patrol zone of subject line abuse. I'm not sure how to appropriately word a short NAG subject to cover all the common request/text post subject line abuses in one. (v-spam, shouting, special characters, excessive punctuation)
That's why I'm tempted to just avoid that stuff entirly.

One other item: Same Guy has requested that I x-post the nags to abmad. It's easy enough as they usually go up to Easynews, which already has the group. Anybody object to this?

(inc)
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
#Post your PARs after the RARs for max benefit -- and don't overdo the # of PARs.

Define overdoing. Lately the completion has been so bad over here that I've had to resort to EasyNews for fills on almost everything. I'm wishing people would most a few more PARs than they are.

My general policy is to make one PAR for every two RARs, but only
post one third to one half of the PARs initially - save the rest for requests.

The new nag ideas all sound good to me, BTW. I don't think you need one about shouting though, as that's standard Usenet knowledge - pointers to standard Usenet behavior guidelines in the FAQ should cover shouting, HTML posting and other common errors.
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
I pretty sure I'll post the PARs _after_ the RARs one also -- so many newbies seem to take the sort order that PP2K gives them as something unchangable.

Hmmm... True. I just posted a note to someone about that myself so I guess it is a good NAG candidate. Wink

(inc) wrote:
One other item: Same Guy has requested that I x-post the nags to abmad. It's easy enough as they usually go up to Easynews, which already has the group. Anybody object to this?

No objection here. In fact now that the group exists I guess it's actually a good idea to x-post them there.

I haven't even checked to see if my local RR is carrying it yet. I haven't subscribed to it on Easynews yet either. Wink

Gorunova wrote:
I don't think you need one about shouting though, as that's standard Usenet knowledge - pointers to standard Usenet behavior guidelines in the FAQ should cover shouting, HTML posting and other common errors.

OK... I do hope it's prominently mentioned in the new FAQ. In Bold face caps with a dozen exclamation points. Twisted Evil

<rant> Nothing pisses me off more than folks sending me HTML formatted email! Sad Double the file size for 0 added content. Damn M$ (and others) for encouraging bad behiavior. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. </rant>
Keikai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaughnCynic wrote:
OK... I do hope it's prominently mentioned in the new FAQ. In Bold face caps with a dozen exclamation points. Twisted Evil
*grin* Very cute. Razz Well it's listed in the "How not to request" section but is not specified in the new text post posting section. I'd say have a look at it once it's out (pretty much stable on a test site, just needs a bit more proofing) in a couple of days. I think yelling is almost always an issue with requests so I don't know if it needs to be mentioned elsewhere. Y'all can take a look once it's out and let me know.

LaughnCynic wrote:
<rant> Nothing pisses me off more than folks sending me HTML formatted email! Sad Double the file size for 0 added content. Damn M$ (and others) for encouraging bad behiavior. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. </rant>
I don't know what email client you use, but I use Outlook and using certain configuration settings it converts HTML emails to text before processing them in any other way. For me, I didn't really care about the size but disliked the potential security risks. In Outlook XP it's merely a registry setting to force HTML->Text. On my Outlook 2000 workstations, which dont have this feature, I have a script I run that converts all HTML emails to Rich Text.

Not sure if you use Outlook but by default it's a glaring security risk IMO. I've taken quite a few steps to secure it, but my anti-HTML email system is one of the more important. If anyone needs more info on this, let me know.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum