abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Posting DVD images

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Postings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Post DVD images of anime to DVD groups?
Yes
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
No
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 19

Orqyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Posting DVD images Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't think I'll be doing much encoding now, as there seems to be less incentive for me personally with how easy it has become to get DVD copies. Which brings me to my topic:

If I were to post DVD images of anime to one of the DVD image groups (alt.binaries.dvd, alt.binaries.dvdr) how many of you would be for this? Against?

Please, do voice all comments with related concerns, issues.. (b/w, piracy, ethical and moral rammifications, getting busted by the feds.)

I don't have a list yet of what I could post, but as most you regs know, I have a pretty long list not withstanding the ones of you who have a longer one. But lets not get into that; as that would end up in a discussion as to who's "ahem" is bigger.

Oh, and I need my liter of beer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're going to post dvd images then I think the dvd groups are where they should go. I just don't think ABA/ABMA[R] are up to the traffic. They would also make ABA/ABMA much higher profile targets for the 'industry'. Making a crackdown more likely sooner than later. Besides, it's bad enough when a newbie (or inconsiderate jerk) posts a whole 800+MB vcd/svcd in one shot (or 3-4+ 200MB episodes). Having the same happen with DVD images... *shudder*

Edit: I don't have a dvd burner ATM so it's all moot to me for now.

Related concerns: Well, let's face it, it's all illegal (US & international copyright law, WTO, etc.) so it's an ethical question rather than a legal one.

I choose the preview/sample rationalization for the most part.

My local vid stores have maybe 10 titles between them and they're not going to order in a shitload of anime dvd's for 1 person to rent. The only TV access to anime I currently have is Cartoon Network and they censor like mad (not to mention it's all Dub'd). I sadly don't have the $ right now to be buying lots of DVDs. Sad

However thanks to the anime groups I now know there is LOTS of anime I want on dvd which is something I quite probably wouldn't have found out about without the fansub/rip community. It's amazing how much there is I like (the diversity, style, and subject matter in anime). I've got a big want list built up which means big potential revenue for the creators that wouldn't otherwise have existed. Wink

As a further expansion of this theme and the whole copyright holder/corp vs. consumer mess that's going on right now there are many others who have disscussed the subject with better insight and eloquence then I can muster.

Here's a recent article that I thought was quite good and although it focuses on mp3's and the music industry it's fully applicable to the movie (and anime) industry IMO.

I'm a big fan of Lawrence Lessig who's been fighting for sane 'IP' law reform and to stop the erosion of 'fair use' that the big corps are pushing with DRM and the DMCA as thier 'Big Stick'.

Errr... Um... </rant> Embarassed

Orqyman wrote:
Oh, and I need my liter of beer.

Um... Beer is measured in bottles[cans], six packs, cases, and kegs NOT pansy liters. Unless you're refering to that 'malt beverage' swill. Twisted Evil
Orqyman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Um... Beer is measured in bottles[cans], six packs, cases, and kegs NOT pansy liters. Unless you're refering to that 'malt beverage' swill.

Yea, I'm referring to a line from Super Troopers. Cept it was coke there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zanson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Sounds good to me Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. I'd dl them. Do you have any HK dvds of stuff not released in the US yet? I know the subs are usually horrible on those, but the image quality is usually pretty good. Or region 2 dvds with english subs on them.

I think that kind of stuff would have the most interest, US dvds you can rent or get from netflix or something, but hk/region 2 are harder to come by.
Orqyman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like general consensus is a yes, so I'll go ahead with it. When I do, I'll post a msg about the post to the usual anime groups first.
teki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems wasteful to use 4.7 gigs for a single disc when an entire series could be encoded to that much at medium-high divx quality. Well, probably some people want dvd images, but not me.
snappy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Movies only ... please! Reply with quote

I'd say, just post anime movie dvds. Series would be way bad L(. When I mean movies, I mean ghibi studio movies, or ranma movie, ninja scroll, blah, blah, blah.
MasterYoshidino

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Images would help fansubbers who can not seem to find raws to work with
animeguy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man people have been posting anime dvd images and its goiong pretty well I say go for it I ll definitly DL it and alot of other people 2. Also if you do series it will take alot of your time but people will apprieciate it and help you out with posting other series, so your collection will go along with everyone elses. =) happy posting

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes definitely post more anime dvds in the dvd channels, that the only place that will handle the traffic and they are in high demand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded a few Anime DVDs from alt.binaries.dvd and I would love to see more.
Musicman1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Want is the procedure on posting DVD Images? Reply with quote

Guess I'll put this in here. Hopefully someone will know all the answers! I just joined the ranks of owning a DVD Burner (optorite 4x Dual for 153.00 shipped) and have made a couple of DVD copies.

I've used DVDshrink and now have a burnable VIDEO_TS folder on my HD. Since I have never downloaded a DVD from the newsgroup is this what I would rar and post? or do I take it to another step?

If there is another step please let me know and also how many MB a day get posted? 500mb or more? Also what is the RAR size I should split it to? I sort of would like to keep the folder as is and just rar it up but I guess I need to know if that would piss folk off.

I'll post a DVD copy of the region 2 Memories in 5.1DD with english subs! Unless someone has already done it. I wanted a region free copy to playback on my other DVD player! It will have all of the extras on it.

I love this optorite...cheap and makes great copies.
zanson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Want is the procedure on posting DVD Images? Reply with quote

Welcome to the ranks of the dvd burning elite Laughing Laughing

Posting the VIDEOTS folder rared up is a fine way to do it. I've seen dvds posted this way, or just as a DVD Decripter ISO for stuff that is single layer. Either way is fine. Most dvd posts I've seen use 50mb rar's, as for posting speed I have no clue. Watch the what ever dvd group for a FAQ for that, but as fast as you can post it is probably acceptable in many of them...

Musicman1 wrote:
Guess I'll put this in here. Hopefully someone will know all the answers! I just joined the ranks of owning a DVD Burner (optorite 4x Dual for 153.00 shipped) and have made a couple of DVD copies.

I've used DVDshrink and now have a burnable VIDEO_TS folder on my HD. Since I have never downloaded a DVD from the newsgroup is this what I would rar and post? or do I take it to another step?

If there is another step please let me know and also how many MB a day get posted? 500mb or more? Also what is the RAR size I should split it to? I sort of would like to keep the folder as is and just rar it up but I guess I need to know if that would piss folk off.

I'll post a DVD copy of the region 2 Memories in 5.1DD with english subs! Unless someone has already done it. I wanted a region free copy to playback on my other DVD player! It will have all of the extras on it.

I love this optorite...cheap and makes great copies.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Postings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum