abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

ABMA.D?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melchior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: ABMA.D? Reply with quote

Seems that Same Guy has gone and created an official ABMA.D. I wish he'd waited for a group consensus before he did this-- I fear it'll become just another group that people will x-post their requests to... Just another group to keep track of. ugh.

...Unless some rules are set down for people to only post requests/etc in ABMA.D, which would make lots of people angry, I'm certain, and which was one of the big arguments against creating an official ABMA.D in the first place.

ugh.

I'm sure you can all guess my opinion on the matter.
Keikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost tempting to send a rmgroup control message, just on the principle, for all the good it'd do. Ah well...
Keikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this begs a question. What do y'all want me to do about ABMAD* as far as the FAQ goes? Since this revision is nearing completion I can either throw something in now, or wait for the next revision after we see how this plays out, or just ignore the group entirely. Razz I know I have no plans to use it...

As always, I'll write it up according to whatever the regulars seem to want. In my opinion, I think I'd prefer to mention it but also explain the voluntary nature of it (unlike many .d groups, that this one is NOT mandatory for text posts) and also that there was no significant consensus regarding it's creation.

* For now, I'll capitalize the newsgroup acronym to distinguish it from xo's abma.d, since I usually use caps for the group acronyms anyways.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's better to leave it out of the FAQ for now, or just put in a blurb saying that ABMA.D is new on the scene and we're not really sure what to use it for yet.

I think we should wait and see how people end up using .D before we set up any guidelines - and said guidelines should be discussed with the people who actually end up using the froup.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seeing this group on their servers? My local (attbi) and easynews don't show it...

-xo
Melchior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
Anyone seeing this group on their servers? My local (attbi) and easynews don't show it...

The group's still very new-- I think it's only a day or two old, it'll probably take a while for people to start requesting that it be added to their servers. I think attbi will probably show the group pretty soon, since Same Guy is on attbi.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melchior wrote:

The group's still very new-- I think it's only a day or two old

Ahhh. Thought maybe it'd been awhile and I just missed a message or something.

I wonder if Same Guy's attbi server has less-than-24-hours retention like mine. Would make discussions hard :p.

-xo wonders if he needs to come up with a new name for this site (again)
Keikai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed that it's only the control message that's been sent. (For the benefit of some folks as I know you know this, xo) Most servers will still need to have it requested of the admins before they'll add it (except for those servers that just add every group so they can claim "75,000 NGs carried!").

xo wrote:
-xo wonders if he needs to come up with a new name for this site (again)

I'd like to suggest that you keep it as is for now. It irritates me that this should even be an issue, but since we're here in part to ease newbie confusion, I understand your concern.

At least for the time being, I'm going to call your forums abma.d as always, and call the newsgroup ABMAD, just to keep them separate without writing them out fully, unless someone has a better suggestion. I'm too lazy to type "a.b.m.a.d". Razz
Oni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another group?

I dunno about that, keeping track of the 3 drives me nuts, especially with my shitty retention.

I vote to not use it, and leave it out of the FAQ. Thats my .02c

What does the D stand for anyway?
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.d = discussion
(inc)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I'd have to follow it on Easynews -- which has it incidently -- instead of my local Roadrunner, as I tend to ignore discussion groups for weeks at a time. (...and shame on me -- I haven't even been here in a couple of weeks -- see what I mean...)

(inc)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum