abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

What's a good multiserver binary newsreader?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melchior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: What's a good multiserver binary newsreader? Reply with quote

I've been using Agent 1.8 (yeah, it's old, but it works and lack of yEnc isn't an issue because I don't use it for downloading) along with a binary grabber (NewsShark) that can only handle one server. I have access to my ISP's newsserver as well as Easynews, and I'm tired of having to download 100% of a file from Easynews when I could easily get away with downloading a few parts from Easynews and the rest of my files from my ISP.

Does anybody have any recommendations on multiserver binary downloaders that you like? Free software is, of course, preferred, though I'm willing to spend some money on the software if I like it (that is, if it has a workable demo that I can stand to run).
Keikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore NewsPro (http://www.usenetopia.com/) which I registered about 2 years ago. Back then I tried all the binary clients around and it bowled me over. Actually I spent about a month starting to write a client when I tried NewsPro for a second time and I'm glad I did, as I aborted the project right there and sent Alex Birj some money. Wink

The important issue with NewsPro is to use it for at least 2 weeks. It is not especially easy to find all the functionality as he uses his own terminology for almost everything and the documentation is near useless. I was still finding great features months after I started using it. But if you give it time, it's remarkable.

Alex is pretty good about implementing requested features. He's put in a few I've asked for, in one case within a week.

If you try it and need usage advice, I'll be happy to help out.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it does all the things I expect a binaries client to do. It merges servers together and merges newsgroups into folders. But beyond the basics like that, I'd also stack it up against any other client with confidence. I strongly suspect there is no client more powerful than it. But, unfortunately, it takes time to get used to. A shame, really, since I think Alex would do well to improve the ease-of-use if only by writing up good docs. As I believe he would get a great many more sales if he did. Also, Alex used to offer a freeware version, but it's useless, so don't bother. I'm pretty sure the primary version is time-limited, so you can at least give it a try without expense.

Last edited by Keikai on Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Xnews as both reader and binary grabber for a long time now and though it's a bit quirky it's worked well enough that I've never been driven to find a dedicated bin grabber.

It handles multiple servers, yEnc, and it's free.

It also looks like it's still being actively developed since the 'alpha' test versons linked on the page have been incrementing up in version. Haven't messed with one yet however. Been in a 'stablility over adventurous' mood for a while now. Maybe I should grab the alpha and see what's changed? *sigh*
Melchior

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I looked at different newsreaders was back when yEnc came out. Looking at NewsPro's website, I know that I came across that program, and I think I even tried it out but couldn't figure it out, so I left it alone. Back then I also tried out XNews, and while it accepts multiple servers, I've never figured out how to get it to automatically download files from my ISP's server, and then if unavailable to pick them up from Easynews.

With NewsPro, making a concerted effort, I've now gotten it to preferentially download from my ISP's server, and I've managed to download a small handful of files. I see what you mean about him having his own terminology-- "partial" instead of "multipart binary", yikes, that misled me for a while!

Do you know if there's any way for me to select a default folder for NewsPro to download attachments to? Whenever I queue stuff to download, it asks me where I want to save the attachments.
Keikai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, there are a ton of settings you will probably want to set, I'll send you a screenshot later today of some of my settings to get you started. The defaults are not, to me, terribly intuitive for heavy users.

Quote:
Do you know if there's any way for me to select a default folder for NewsPro to download attachments to? Whenever I queue stuff to download, it asks me where I want to save the attachments.

Do do this, go into Properties (what the rest of us would call Settings) and hit the Newsgroups tabs. All newsgroups and folders are listed here. According to what you have open when you issue a "Download & Save Attachments" or "Save Attachments" command it will choose the appropriate row in this section. Now at the bottom it has an edit box next to 'Save'. Hit Browse and pick a directory. If you do this for the 'Default' row, then all rows set to default will use this value. But I use different directories for each NG folder so I just set them individually. Now, uncheck the 'Ask' box to keep it from asking each time.

The General tab contains allot of stuff that'll need to be changed. As I said I'll send you a screenshot but until then in the 'Saving Attachments' box, I check everything except 'Ask for delete'. This screen has allot of poorly named options that are REALLY important to eventually understand. Razz

While it's not 100%, you can usually assume that something you want is in there _somewhere_. I'll be happy to help you with finding things, as I certainly wish someone had been there to get me started with it. I couldn't be more glad I stuck to it. For the general stuff this public discussion might be good since anyone else who tries the program will have somewhere to start. Otherwise, feel free to email me.
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melchior wrote:
Back then I also tried out XNews, and while it accepts multiple servers, I've never figured out how to get it to automatically download files from my ISP's server, and then if unavailable to pick them up from Easynews.

There are several Xnews help pages linked off the Xnews site.

This one. (a bit dated but has some good info)

This one. (which contains an (partial?) answer to your server question)

Lastly, there's also this one. (menu reference)

I actually don't know how (or if) Xnews can grab files off your premium server/s if they didn't exist on your default/local server in the first place at some point.

The way I deal with this situation (when my local server barfs) is I queue up what exists on my local server. Then goto my premium server and queue the files there up into the same queue. I usually just queue up the whole post again so I don't have to hunt and peck for the actual missing segments/parts. Then I open the queue and choose 'Delete Duplicates...' from the 'Group' menu. Then download away.

Hmmm... After looking at what I've typed here maybe it's time for me to check out NewsPro too? Wink
Melchior

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, Keikai. If you do have time, I'd appreciate if you could send me a screenshot of your configuration settings-- I can tell that NewsPro's powerful, I just can't figure out what the different options mean!

Also, for anybody in the future who may try this software out, you/I could post the screenshot as a reply in this thread (I could upload the image to one of my domains for hosting, if necessary).
Keikai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melchior wrote:
Thanks for the help, Keikai. If you do have time, I'd appreciate if you could send me a screenshot of your configuration settings-- I can tell that NewsPro's powerful, I just can't figure out what the different options mean!
Sure thing. I sent it to the addy you have in your profile here right after making that post (quite a few hours ago). If it didn't come through, let me know and I'll resend it.
Melchior wrote:
Also, for anybody in the future who may try this software out, you/I could post the screenshot as a reply in this thread (I could upload the image to one of my domains for hosting, if necessary).
Because I think allot of people would benefit from it, I've thought about writing up a tutorial on using it. Originally (and I may still) I planned to just put a quick one together for the FAQ, similar to sections written up for other clients. I also considered doing something more complete and putting it up on my website and linking it from the FAQ, because that would allow me to include screenshots, but I've never made it high priority because it's someone elses for-profit product. But I'll do one of those two options sometime soon (_after_ I get this bloody FAQ revision out Razz)
Keikai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaughnCynic wrote:
Hmmm... After looking at what I've typed here maybe it's time for me to check out NewsPro too? Wink
XNews is a great (and free!) client and is, in fact, my backup client for certain situations. But with the volume of usenet use I perform, I've found that its just not efficient enough for me...I'd have to cut back! Oh no! Razz
Keikai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of another important tip:
When going through the headers list (deleting, queueing, etc.) start from the bottom and work your way up. That way when you delete headers you keep your position in the list properly. It's weird, I know, but a harmless resolution that's easy to get used to.
lytlejva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: What's a good multiserver binary newsreader? Reply with quote

Try Newsreactor from www.daansystems.com. Its free for the first fifty uses. Some have reported that reinstalls cause loss of the free uses. After that its $15, upgrades free. I've been using it for over a year. He updates frequently, bad bugs are fixed rather quickly. Does multiservers, yenc, etc.
Onakra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I started using Binary News Reaper (http://www.bnr2.org/) as a companion to Agent. Also features multiple servers and threads and I'm quite happy with it. If you haven't switched already you could always take a look at this.
(inc)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of choices, Mel, and I'm not sure which is the best myself. But I've been using Newsbin as my binary downloader for a long time now and it generally has been pretty pain-free. Note also that it is in very active development.
http://www.newsbin.com
(inc)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum