abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Millenium Actress: A Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earthdark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Millenium Actress: A Review Reply with quote

First, much thanks to tungsten_22 for posting this and introducing me to a great movie I would otherwise have missed.

Although Perfect Blue belong to the genre I enjoy the most, it was a tad too surreal for my taste. However I did enjoy it considerably more than the average movie, so when I had read Millenium Actress was from the same director as Perfect Blue during my pre-download information gathering, I was quite delighted.

The premise is simple; Millenium Actress is a movie about a girl who chases her goal. An idea that has been executed in countless movies, sometimes beautifully, and sometimes painfully (for the viewer). What makes this movie special is the way the story is told; the protagonist's tale is never revealled directly. Instead we travel, one after another, through all the films she plays in, and it is through the characters she portrays that are we lead to piece together her life story. While this may seem confusing at first, after watching this movie, you would most likely agree it is well suited for this movie. On a side note, as you watch the movie, it's worthwhile to keep in mind that each film represents a slightly different mentality in her persuit of her dream.

The movie is actually rather moderately paced, and the ninety minutes it spans goes by without much notice. The art is very well done, and at times, very realistic. The choice and timing of background music is execellent too. The only fault I can find with the movie is the subtitles, it utilises American spelling. Otherwise, the subtitles are also top-notch, choosingly to translate contextually with care (which I prefer).

Overall, a very well done movie, and although I praise it like the best movie in recent years, one should cast doubts on my claims and watch it for yourself.
(inc)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I have it on my *Watch Real Soon* list -- which usually means I actually _will_ watch it Rolling Eyes ...well, sooner rather then later...

For some reason I've never seen Perfect Blue -- in fact I think I've subconsciously avoided it -- but the fact that Satoshi Kon wrote Magnetic Rose is what really interests me anyway. That was the show that turned me from just an Anime downloader for other family members -- back when that meant DBZ and Sailormoon from abm -- to a, for better or worse, fan and poster. Razz

(inc)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on earthdark's review and some other comments, this was also moved high on my To Watch list. I got a chance to watch it this evening and share earthdark's views.

The storytelling was unique and beautifully executed. It's very hard to describe and really must be seen. My only complaint (since American spelling is fine by me Smile) is that it felt short and ended too soon (not a bad thing I guess). The pacing at the beginning was just right but it seemed to hurry a little at the end.

The music was well done - not overwhelming but definitely enhanced the mood at key times. And I thought the animation was top notch.

Much thanks to the poster - I had never even heard of this movie despite having enjoyed Perfect Blue (first anime DVD I purchased) and following the anime scene, so it was quite a treat. It saddens me that a gem like this isn't better known here in the States. I liked it as much as I did Spirited Away and that won an Oscar...

But that's a rant for another time.

-xo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum