abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Anime Daisuki's Kanon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Anime Daisuki's Kanon Reply with quote

Does anyone know if they ever went past the first episode? I have episodes 2 and 3 that were done by Elite Fansubs. The translation qualities were about the same, I thought, but it's the little things that make the difference. Including the "translator's notes" every once in a while across the top of the screen really helps to clear a lot of stuff up (You'd thing the US companies would take a hint from the fansubbers on that one). Also, some words work better untranslated. For example, in the Kenshin Fansubs, "Hitokiri Battousai" is left untouched. The DVDs, however, awkwardly (and longwindedly) give "Battousai the manslayer" at every turn.

Wow...I didn't really mean to go off on a tangent like that. So does anyone know about the Kanon episodes? Also, has any group subbed pass episode 3?
Firecaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Anime Daisuki's forum, they're "still working on it". What that means is anyone's guess. ^^;

I saw 1 - 4, 6 posted on a.b.a. I think whoever's posting it is waiting to see if there'll be a version 2 of episode 5 before posting it. I haven't seen it (heck, I only watched the first 5 minutes of 1), so I can't say why the person is waiting.

I think Ishin-Anime's at episode 2. Haven't seen fansubbing past episode 3 except from #E-F. ^^;

~ Firecaster ~
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I've pretty much switched over to getting the E-F episodes now. Damn that episode 5 conundrum (that's an easy word to mispell). I've got episode 6 but I refuse to watch it. Can't screw around with continuity mind you.
Firecaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did happen with episode 5, out of curiousity? Unless it's a spoiler. ^^;

~ Firecaster ~
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is they were waiting to see if there was a V2. Now...if anyone could enlighten me as to what a V2 is that'd be great. It's being posted as I type.
oblio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v2's are just second versions of the subs...

Having worked on some fansubs, I can say that it is HARD work and quality control is a real issue. If you have a crack team, that certainly helps, but everyone makes mistakes.

Groups will release V2's for such reasons as (but not limited to):
.) bad audio/video codec used.
.) better translation/editing that comes after the fact [*].
.) better video source becoming avail.

-ob

[*] I could never decide how to translate the "I'll make you a honeycomb" lines in Future Boy Conan. What they meant was "I'll shoot you so full of holes that you'll look like a honeycomb", but that is too long and won't fit on the screen. The first is just clunky. I think its translated differently the 2 or 3 times its used in the FBC subs that are being posted, largely because I just never could decide and more importantly, I don't have quality control. For subbing groups that have QA, people care deeply about consistant translation, etc.

Hope that helps
earthdark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I think it's pretty bad that second versions are becoming common place...
oblio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly indicates a lack of QA, and is probably exacerbated by some of the recent funsub group competition.

I'm sympathetic to the other side too though- fansubbing is hard. (though ampeg tends to do a pretty good job. Wink
earthdark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, barely. :P
We're not dead yet.. we will... make a come back somehow.
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you on the competition thing. I find it kind of funny that things are becoming so heated. As far as the ver. 2 thing goes, I enjoy it. I've said before that I don't mind waiting for a better fansub.
Kev!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Kanon Reply with quote

Im nearing the end of Kanon, and boy, is it getting really depressing. :/ I hear the game that this was based off of, or vice versa, is even worse. Who'da thunk it after watching just the first EP?
Keikai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev, please be careful about comments about the content of things you've watched. There are several threads regarding spoilers you may or may not have read. Remember, some people (myself included) consider things as seemingly innocuous as your comment to be somewhat of a spoiler. If the topic had been regarding the content of Kanon it would have been my fault for reading it, but it was about the fansubbing of Kanon.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum