abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

How many of you got an AnimeLeague spam?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melchior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: How many of you got an AnimeLeague spam? Reply with quote

Today I received a message at the email address that I have registered to this forum (it's identifiable with an "_xmaru" in the address prefix).

I'm wondering of this "Mike" fellow sent (spammed) the same message to everybody else on this forum-- basically wondering if he sat around clicking everybody's "e-mail" button to mail the spam out to us.

Interesting, the headers indicate the message was sent from Hotmail's servers... Hmmm, checking around, looks like this forum shows everybody's email addresses in the "memberlist" area-- interesting, since the phpbb forum I have installed on my site doesn't list it.

I think I'm going to report this guy for spam. Anybody else? I wonder if we can get enough complaints to get his site kicked off its server, and maybe toast his email address as well...

As most of you probably already know, I hate spammers.

Later,
-Melchior

Mike the Spammer wrote:
Hey there.. ^_^

Just saw you on some forums, and thought I would email you. Basically I own a message board for anime, roleplay and entertainment with about 1500 members, and would like to invite you to them. :P We are a friendly place (though a little crazy) with plans of world domination (was I meant to say that? er..heh heh ^^). Anyway, if you want to check it out, the link is:

http://LINK_REMOVED

Hope to see ya around. :)
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the email address, full name or subject line, I don't know if I've received it or not. I only look at messages from people I know or with subject lines that seem to indicate the message is meant for me. Chances are if I did get this guy's message I just deleted it.

I do still have the last 300 spams sitting in my trash, but none are from a "Mike".
Melchior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subject: Hey there.. ^_^
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get it. Hey, now I feel left out... Razz

(inc)
Melchior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
Didn't get it. Hey, now I feel left out... :P

Heh, probably/possibly because you don't have your email address publicly listed on the forum!
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Heh, probably/possibly because you don't have your email address publicly listed on the forum!
Opps. You're right...thought I had listed it Embarassed 'Course some address is somewhere here. just not for the hoi polloi (<== and, yes, I had to look up the spelling Razz )

(inc)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, my apologies for any culpability in getting your email addresses on any kind of spammer's list. It doesn't appear that I myself received the spam in question, so it doesn't seem like a general harvesting occurred - I don't know why certain users were targetted.

Regarding this board's configuration, in looking through the settings, the only option that seems to deal with email addresses is one labelled "User email via board. Users send email to each other via this board" which I have set to disabled. Melchior - can you check this option on your board, or if I'm missing some other option somewhere, can you point me to it?

(inc) wrote:
Quote:
Opps. You're right...thought I had listed it Embarassed 'Course some address is somewhere here. just not for the hoi polloi (<== and, yes, I had to look up the spelling Razz )

This part is puzzling to me because right under inc's posts, there's a little email button and when I mouseover it, it indicates an email address, and inc's profile also includes this button. Am I the only one who sees this? Perhaps admin accounts get different content?

Anyway, I 'd like to hear all of your thoughts: if there was an option to disable email addresses from appearing anywhere on this board, would you prefer to use it? I myself find it convenient as a directory when I want to email one of you and I haven't done so before, or recently.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see e-mail buttons under Mels, yours and G's, but not mine. Also don't see it under several others in other threads. I'd guess seeing mine is an admin thing....but when this message is last in the thread, if I see that button, believe me, I'll post again Very Happy

Edited to add: Nope, not there even when last in the thread...

(inc)
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, admins and mods can see everyones Email button and IP address for the post on phpBB boards. Nobody else can see the IP button and users can choose whether or not to display their email on their posts in the profile thing.
Melchior

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
Regarding this board's configuration, in looking through the settings, the only option that seems to deal with email addresses is one labelled "User email via board. Users send email to each other via this board" which I have set to disabled. Melchior - can you check this option on your board, or if I'm missing some other option somewhere, can you point me to it?

That's interesting how people's emails were selectively targeted...

On the ubc-cycling.com forum, disabling "User email via board" shows email addresses. Enabling that feature hides email addresses, effectively forcing users to use the forum's outgoing email functions.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melchior wrote:
disabling "User email via board" shows email addresses. Enabling that feature hides email addresses, effectively forcing users to use the forum's outgoing email functions.

Aye, the wording is a bit confusing, neh? Or is it just me?

To refine my poll question above: should I disable or enable this option (currently disabled) ?

The downside of enabling it is that you're at the mercy of this board for emailing each other, and the interface for reading and tracking messages leaves something to be desired compared to mature email clients.

-xo
Melchior

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
should I disable or enable this option (currently disabled)

I'd say keep it disabled-- that way users can access each others' email addresses if they want to, and we haven't yet seen any *true* mass-mailings as a result of this board. (at least I certainly haven't).
Orqyman

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got mine today :)
Well, its not some hot deal, so I shouldn't be smiling.

Sh*tcan him Melchior!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
snoopynme

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the email button under Melchior's, Orqy's, and xo's, but not for Kai-Jinn and inc's. So I'm guessing there is an option/setting to have it hide the email address. And, nope, I haven't received any spam in my box.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the email icon was present for people who had provided an email address, and absent for those who didn't.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum