abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Rogers Newsgroup Servers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shezy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Rogers Newsgroup Servers Reply with quote

Okay, am I the only one? I'm starting to panic here, because yesterday I could only download from one server, and today none of the servers are working! NewsBin is not telling me why, but I know it's not because I've hit my limit (nothing really caught my attention recently, other than RahXephon). Oh, I'm in Toronto, if it makes a difference... Hmmm, cool looking emoticons...

Shezy Crying or Very sad

PS - I'm kinda new to this... What's BBCode?
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Rogers servers Reply with quote

DON'T PANIC! <-----large friendly letters

You have the server name in your newsreader as 'nntp' and not 'news' right? If it's on news still change it to nntp.

Rogers has improved the server much in the past week. Retention is now about three days and completion is excellent. Better than @home's completion ever was. The only problem left is speed which is still pretty slow. I called them today and they're working on it. There's no estimated time for when the speed problem will be solved but it will be eventually.

I'm in Ottawa, but your being in Toronto shouldn't mean anything. I know it works in Toronto because earthdark is there and we've talked about it in #AnimeMPEG.

I bought an Easynews account for 12gigs or 2 months(whichever comes first) to catch up on alot of stuff I missed out on over the past 4 weeks or so due to Rogers sucking and @home servers slowly dying resulting in chunks of various posts arriving too incomplete to bother asking for fills.

You might want to do the same. The nntp server(the one you use in your newsreader) has about 2 weeks retention and the web server has an awsome 52 days retention. www.easynews.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
earthdark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, even though Rogers has like a different hostname for their news server for each region of Ontario, at the moment, they all point the bloor server... and cause of that, it's being overused during peek hours...
Shezy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: Rogers Reply with quote

I've never really had a problem with the @Home servers. Yeah, I was still using them, I guess (http://www.newsbin.com/PNPMan/index.htm has a lot of server info but I guess it's outdated by now). I was getting decent speeds and three days retention... But not anymore. <sniff> So I guess I start using the NNTP servers. Except for one thing: I'm behind one of those routers and so I need the full name/IP of the server. Anyone have one for me? Or two? Three would be good... Smile

Shezy[/url]
earthdark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm, if you have your router setted up correctly, you should be able to use "nntp" behind your home network fine. (that's what I do)

But http://www.rogershelp.com/newcnfaq.html has the list of the formal hostnames for all of their news servers. Even though they all point to the same server, you should use the one designated for you area in case Rogers actually adds more news servers in the future...
Shezy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about my Linksys router... It even says in the manual that the full name will be needed. Well, thanks for the link. I'm able to get back on the newsgroups, but it seemed like just about every file was incomplete. I guess I'll have to try that easynews service until Rogers fixes what's broke. It's funny, at the moment I don't really care about high-speed access more than I care about my newsgroup access. That'll change once WarCraft III is out, though. Smile
earthdark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm, I'm using a Linksys router too. Just enter your 2 or 3 DNS server addresses in the web admin setup.. and in tcp/ip settings of your NIC, make sure "append primary and connection specific suffixes" is enabled...

Off topic note: WC3 at the moment is incredibly buggy, if one person is out of synced at he beginning of a game.. it crashes the game for everyone and Rogers has been having some serious packet loss lately...
Shezy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Rogers: I hope this is a good ol' black lie, but... http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2644597~root=ilec,bc~mode=flat

On Linksys: Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

On WC3: That's funny. I have no problem with the game at all. Well, sometimes it won't let my friends and me connect to each others' game, but other than that it's been cool. No crash what-so-ever...

On DivX 5: Wooo... http://www.nvmax.com/cgi-bin/nvmax.pl?action=news&num=1015283611
earthdark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers is outsourcing the newsfeeds to some company that doesn't really care... it is the business way of doing things afterall.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum