abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Par2 and new posting style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onakra wrote:
Some of the clients that do support downloading incompletes (I currently know of) are Agent, Xnews and BNR2). The problem with most is that it requires more manual steps. With some you'll have to concatonate (sp?) the segments of a file (BNR2).
I use BNR2 and it will automatically concatenate consecutive segments for you. If you are missing articles, you end up with one file for each complete sequence of articles for that file.

These partial file will have names like:

original filename.rar.1-10
original filename.rar.12-17
original filename.rar.23-40

QuickPar will automatically find and scan these files.
Onakra

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
QuickPar will automatically find and scan these files.

Ahh, thanks. I never checked that far since I didn't think it would be able to 'see' all those separate files. Looks like I won't have to do much extra for PAR2 files. Smile
zanson

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onakra wrote:

Speaking about new formats/technologies; I wonder how long it'll be before someone starts to use the Matroska container to post files (despite it's infancy status)...

Shhhhh, don't give people any sugestions... Wink
(inc)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak of the devil... Naruto 34 was anonymously posted with a PAR2 set in aba (x-posted to alt.binaries.nl). No URL or mention of the app to use was included with the post (of course).

Edited to add: Sorry, old news I see -- I didn't catch that PAR2 set with GitS back on the 19th ... hehe, also anonymous, though...

(inc)
Oni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm debating whether to post last exile 7 and scrapped princess 6 with par2 files or regular par files.

I use grabit, which doesn't support partial downloads, but xnews (my previous reader) did out of the box.

I already made up the par2 files, so I guess I will try it out and see what happens.

Can we make some reccomended settings for use with Quickpar?

Mainly block size and redundancy, I'm still a little iffy on those.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've now tried par2 with 2 different posts and have run into the same problem both times: the stupid par2 command line client does urlencoding (or some such nonsense) on brackets ("[" and "]") and fails to recognize my files. Example: filename = "Anime-01[xyz].rar", par2 looks for : "Anime-015Bxyz5D.rar", and obviously fails to find them.

Dumb!

Sucks for me. I suppose I should go look at the source and see if I can fix it.

Bleah.

-xo (has a new gripe to grouse endlessly about)
Oni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
So I've now tried par2 with 2 different posts and have run into the same problem both times: the stupid par2 command line client does urlencoding (or some such nonsense) on brackets ("[" and "]") and fails to recognize my files. Example: filename = "Anime-01[xyz].rar", par2 looks for : "Anime-015Bxyz5D.rar", and obviously fails to find them.

Dumb!

Sucks for me. I suppose I should go look at the source and see if I can fix it.

Bleah.

-xo (has a new gripe to grouse endlessly about)

QuickPar is your friend:)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oni wrote:

Windows is not Wink

-xo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was reading through this but there doesn't really seem to be a definite answer with you guys. Are the majority of you going to switch to Par2 or not? If everyone posting is asked to use par2 over par, then perhaps it might ease the transition. It might be highly unlikely it will work but, then again you never know.
Oni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Well, I was reading through this but there doesn't really seem to be a definite answer with you guys. Are the majority of you going to switch to Par2 or not? If everyone posting is asked to use par2 over par, then perhaps it might ease the transition. It might be highly unlikely it will work but, then again you never know.

I don't see any disadvantes to using par2 files, so there is no reason not to use it that I see.

I'm using it now, and including my real email addy in the nfo file. If any of the people who download my encodes complain I'll re-evaluate the change.

For now I see no reason to not use par2.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
Oni wrote:

Windows is not Wink

-xo

Can't you just compile the code into a command line utility or something?
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:

Remember that [ and ] are amongst the many reserved characters for shell command lines, including all Linux shells and MS-DOS too I think. Did you try escaping them or quoting the file name?

ie, instead of foo[bar].rar, try foo\[bar\].rar or "foo[bar].rar" or "foo\[bar\].rar".
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:

Remember that [ and ] are amongst the many reserved characters for shell command lines, including all Linux shells and MS-DOS too I think. Did you try escaping them or quoting the file name?

ie, instead of foo[bar].rar, try foo\[bar\].rar or "foo[bar].rar" or "foo\[bar\].rar".

Yep, the parameter is passed escaped for the shell.

Just to be clearer, the par file passed to par2 aren't the problem. An actual command line:
Code:

par2 r \[Infusion\]\ Hajime\ No\ Ippo\ -\ 63.part.PAR2

The problem arises when internally, par2 reads in the list of expected files from the PAR2 file above, then hex encodes certain characters - for example the [=5B and ]=5D, then looks for files with these characters in them. Obviously, the filenames aren't hex encoded on my file system and it reports zero files found. Duh for them. Here's a sample of the output:

Code:

Target: "5BInfusion5D20Hajime20No20Ippo20-2063.part01.rar" - missing.

Note that I have this file without the hex encoded characters in them.

I took a peek in the source and found where it was doing this and disabled the hexencode for [, ], and space and it now works as expected. I don't know the reason why they chose to do this. It certainly wasn't an issue for the 3 characters I was having problems with and for which I turned off encoding.

'course, the par2 recoveries failed because I'm missing volumes and these little bitty par2 files don't have enough to recover whole files *and* not being used to this new business, I didn't set my client to download incompletes, *and* since it's been more than 24 hours, they are gone.

Boo hoo for me Mad

-xo

PS - the file I tweaked is diskfile.cpp.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah! More fuel for my fire -just discovered that the par2 commandline also doesn't do file name corrections like the original par did. Which means downloads from Easynews' web interface have to be manually renamed since they replace special characters with underscores.

-xo
Orqyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than quickpar being homosexually gay, I got to use par2 on the inu yasha post the other day in ab.dvd. I don't know whether to attribute it to the par program, or par2 itself, but the recovery took an entire hour whereas par1 would have taken 10 minutes at most.

Other than that, the other features are attractive, even if I haven't taken advantage of most of them. But that would be my main deterrent to using it.

No, I'm not very useful anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum