abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Samurai Fiction

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Samurai Fiction Reply with quote

I saw a movie a little while back, called Samurai Fiction.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0170544

I didn't really know what to expect but I found it rather amusing and it reminded me of anime in a lot of ways - sudden comical moments, broadly drawn characters that fit archetypes, etc. It's shot in black and white and I guess there's a lot of homage paid to classic samurai movies, but it had some real modern flavor as well: in camera angles, editing, and in particular the score which some rock-n-roll here and there mostly to good effect.

Anyway, if you have the opportunity to see this one, you might like it.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really does look interesting, xo. Anyone check to see if it's ever been posted in alt.binaries.multimedia.japanese? I really should track that group more, I guess...

Minor point -- the first reviewer on IMDB uses the phrase "'old school' samurai drama like the ones of Akira Kurosawa." Totally off the mark with regard to AK anyway -- part of his problem with the typical Japanese critic was that he was totally non-compliant with traditional Japanese Samarui film. Watch 7 Samarui when they raid the bandits camp: haphazord sword play, tripping, falling, all the *nobility* of battle removed -- total *fog of war* if you will ... just the opposite of the traditional filmed dual of the time. Even in Yojimbo the biggest battle (only in the sense of the number of *combatents* envolved) is just the two main groups posturing at each other as they move in and out of frame (good stuff IMHO).

Maybe the reviewer was confusing AK's films with the Samurai Trilogy, which did star Mifune, but is much more standard fare.

If someone reading this is not too familiar with AK, but interested, here's a good place to start:
http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/02/kurosawa.html

(inc)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should've mentioned that I believe I got it from abmj sometime ago, though I can't remember exactly when (dammit, I gotta start timestamping my CDs).

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I've never seen 7 Samurai, though I've seen a smattering of Kurosawa's other works. I see your point about reviewer comment on Kurosawa - other than maybe Ran, I don't seem to recall his fights and battles being particularly majestic. More like "scrappy". But Ran made up for that in a big way Wink.

As for SF - the fighting is sort of stylized so I guess I wouldn't classify it as Kurosawa-esque myself.

In anycase, while there is some fighting, I definitely enjoyed the other parts more Smile.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I've never seen 7 Samurai,
<<=== hehe ... source of image

At this time, the Criterion DVD version is by far the best way to see it; it may even be *rentable*.

(inc)
Keikai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
At this time, the Criterion DVD version is by far the best way to see it; it may even be *rentable*.

Aye, it is. I rented it from netflix, but since then I'm going to buy it. I really enjoyed it. I'll probably will get that Criterion Kurosawa 4-pack even though I haven't yet watched the others:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006IUI5/qid=1056306480/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-5147666-0533427?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

BTW, inc, did you ever end up buying that special Ran release I sent you the info for? If so, how was it? (The value of the special release itself, that is, as you already told me about the movie.)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you are curious about this movie, it's being posted in ABMJ started on 2004-01-03. I'm guessing a DVD rip in avi format as there is an .srt as part of the post as well as "extras".

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...special Ran release...
(Catching up...) Asked *Santa* for it for Xmas, but didn't get it Razz Have to use one of my many gift-cert. for it, I guess.

Keikai, what did you think of the other 3 movies in the *4 pack*. Hidden Fortress is deceptive -- I thought it was kind of weak the first time I saw it, but now I've probably watched it half a dozen times over the years (first LD then DVD), and I've enjoyed it more every time -- I guess there was more subtlety then was first apparent. Yojimbo is just a lot of fun – great story-telling.

Quote:
...it's being posted in ABMJ...
Criterion did a great encode -- I wonder how much it will suffer.

(inc)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify in case there was a misunderstanding: Samurai Fiction was posted to ABMJ.

-xo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum