abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Okay, maybe just a test post...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Okay, maybe just a test post... Reply with quote

...but to ease my confusion I need to talk about this:

I just saw Ep 6 of Onegai Teacher. The plot is pretty surprising, but I'm far more irritated by the fact, that Kei wears a Telekom-shirt.

It's a pretty weird fashion for japanese people to wear shirts of german telcos. Germans wouldn't even dream about that. The Telekom evolved from the former government department and is still a monopol.
So it's the most hated company for german IT people. (It even beats Microsoft.)

Or is this just some insider joke, I don't get?

T.Rieper
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Strange... Reply with quote

...I was logged in, when I started to write my post above. But when I posted it, I was logged off. A Timeout?

T.Rieper
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Strange... Reply with quote

Tobias Rieper wrote:

...I was logged in, when I started to write my post above. But when I posted it, I was logged off. A Timeout?

I took a look through the settings and bumped up the timeout from the default 900 secs to 3600.

I use the "remember my login" cookie thing so I hadn't realize it was doing this - sorry!

-xo
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Strange... Reply with quote

xo wrote:

I took a look through the settings and bumped up the timeout from the default 900 secs to 3600.

I use the "remember my login" cookie thing so I hadn't realize it was doing this - sorry!

-xo

Thanks, it's better now. I think, I had this cookie checked too. Maybe it doesn't get through my current firewall/mozilla settings...

T.Rieper
Jiss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go back to the original question ^_^

Quote:
I just saw Ep 6 of Onegai Teacher. The plot is pretty surprising, but I'm far more irritated by the fact, that Kei wears a Telekom-shirt.

This seems to be the current fashion in Japan, if you follow engrish.com they are showing more and more such things. I suspect that the anime, being recent, is just showing this current fashion fad.

As for it being unusual, it sure is, but they don't know the companies or places here very well (as we similarly don't there). I always have a laugh at the place names and people in Hellsing for example since it's clear they've never lived in the UK for a substantial time (in fact there seem to be many US references rather than UK).
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiss wrote:

I always have a laugh at the place names and people in Hellsing for example since it's clear they've never lived in the UK for a substantial time (in fact there seem to be many US references rather than UK).

He he, another fine example: Mühlenbrück (the town, where Saga and Sugar are living). I did some research - yes, we have a Mühlenbrück. But it's only a village and so small, it isn't even on our maps. (And it has no train station.)
The city in the series looks to me more like the medieval Cologne or Nürnberg... (That's why I have real problems to identify the time of Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar. Their machines are modern, but the whole environment is more like 18th century.)

And the language (school books etc.)... well, it's german. But the grammar is so horrible and totally out of context that compared to these even a cheap taiwanese manual translation (ya know, the ones that are very funny to read, but you never understand, what they're trying to tell you) looks like Goethe.

I see this often in anime. If they do german, they hardly make their homework on this one...

And sometimes the use of german brings up more bugs when the anime goes international:
Remember "Weiß Kreutz"? Many times you see "Weib Kreutz", just because the non german people don't know the ß of the orirginal name and use a b instead. (The letter ß is called "eszett" and can be substituted with "ss". So "Weiss Kreutz" is the correct spelling if you can't type the ß.)

BTW, the correct translation of "white cross" is "Weißes Kreutz". Another grammar glitch...

T.Rieper
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: And what's with that red shirts? Reply with quote

Okay, forgive me my ignorance, but I just saw EP 7 and I'm totally clueless about the red shirts, that they are wearing.

It seems, that this is a official announcement of their relationship, right?
Is this common? Never heard of this before...

T.Rieper

BTW, Maho's alien dress looks really... uhm... lovely. Wink
earthdark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I think you have a lot of free time on you rhands if you're more annoyed about the red shirts they're wearing than the cliche of the plot :P
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he, well the cliche of this series was obvious since the first EP. So if I would mind it, I would not see it. (and things like Love Hina etc.)

Those shirts were used without any further comments, so it's assumed to be a common behaviour. But I don't know about this. This gives me the creeps...

T.Rieper

Hey, I caught up with Jiss. Twisted Evil Next ones are user and oblio... but they're gonna be tough...
oblio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! It won't be hard. I have a short attention span. :)

On the engrish thing, whenever I start to think about crazy japanese culture issues, I wonder if there are poor souls in japan busy subtitling "The Simpsons", and if so, how in the world do they put enough liner notes in for all the "inside" jokes.
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, this would look like these "5 minute translation note" sequences in Cild's Toy... Wink

T.Rieper
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum