abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Need some codec advice for solving green-screen problem

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonotori

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Need some codec advice for solving green-screen problem Reply with quote

Hello, some recent anime have been unwatchable for me because the picture either stops changing after a very short time or the picture is garbled with green. I installed the nimo codec pack and I've also tried installing various xvid codec builds. What is the problem here?

Some specific anime affected: (AC) Ashita no Nadja Ep 05.avi (green screen problem), [Miyuki-Eny] Nanaka 6-17 - 01 [07303DA2].avi (paused picture problem).

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is addressed somewhere. I've been looking all afternoon and haven't been able to find anything about it.
Keikai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Codec packs are notorious for being a risk proposition. I'm not sure if the Nimo pack is one of the troublesome ones, though. I usually recommend installing the individual codecs manually. Another option is ffdshow. Allot of folks rave about it, a few have significant troubles with it. I had to use it as OGM subtitles wouldnt work for me with the OGM subtitle filter nor with VobSub. I've been pretty happy with it. ffdshow isnt really a codec pack, as I understand it. But it has been coded with support for many codecs. Others will correct me on this if I'm wrong.

One problem is once you install a codec or codec pack it may not always be properly removed by its associated uninstaller. This was common with codec packs. This can get sticky, unfortunately.
zanson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I see this happen when the wrong codec is being used. Like if divx4 tries to play something thats really xvid/div5. Check if the 4cc is something generic like DIVX/DIVX, if so try changing the 4CC code to XVID/XVID or DIVX/DX50 or DIV3/DIV3 one of those will make xvid, divx5 or div3 play the file and you'll know for sure what is playing it.

Also you can try installing ffdshow-alpha, I've had a very good experience with it, but I've heard the very latest one has some stability issues, so go with the one just before that, or the one from january is pretty stable, I think I'm still using that one.

ffdshow isn't a codec pack, its one filter that can play all kinds of different formats. You can pick which ones it plays, and it has some nice post processing filters. I have ffdshow installed but then I tell it to use the xvid.dll to decode xvid/divx5 stuff and then do the ffdshow post processing.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum