abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

For all you non-Usenet regulars... Yes, I mean you...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: For all you non-Usenet regulars... Yes, I mean you... Reply with quote

Part of a discussion on the creation of the ng abmad in the thread:
## The art of misusing these newsgroups!

Quote:
>True. In terms of the respondents, it was relatively apathetic when
>compared to absmd, 13 total responses to the idea of it's creation and
>of them there were 6 for, 4 against, and 3 neutral. I'd say there were
>3 'Usenet regulars' for, 2 against, and 2 neutral. I say 'Usenet
>regulars' since there is a web based forum were a few people hang out
>and chat about the groups, but they don't seem to appear very often on
>Usenet."

Just thought one or two of you non-usenet frequenters mentioned at the end might enjoy this.

(inc)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is kind of a kick Smile

It's odd to be considered a Usenet *non* regular when I'm there every night, no matter what else is going on in my life, drunk, sober, or on the verge of collapse, trying to keep abreast of the 24 hour retention.

Hard to participate in a discussion that way, though, but that's been hashed and rehashed many times.

-xo
Keikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find those numbers dubious. I think I saved some of the threads discussing it. I think what happened was one or two of the threads only had two 'nay' votes, but I feel that was because a lot of folks got tired of posting in long debates that ended the same way each time. Anyways, who said that? From the attitude alone I'd have to guess Same Guy? He's never liked the older AB(M)A community, for some reason, even though he seems to care about the groups.

I'll admit I tend to avoid the argument threads anymore. I guess that contributes to me being a non-regular in that author's eyes. I put up with the stress for long enough. I'd read things like this and then have trouble sleeping I'd be so frustrated or angry since it's always painful when you care about something, and do your best to protect it, and get flamed for it.

More than that, however, is you can only explain the same thing a few dozen times before you just can't take it anymore (except for a few like inc and Melchior who have incredible patience). So people start to think you aren't there just because you don't feel like explaining the same thing again and again. Whoever wrote that hasn't been around long enough to judge what people have contributed in the past, which is every bit as important as what they contribute in the present. If Tobias or SWong were to come back they'd deserve every bit the respect they had when they were active.

Damn it. Now I sound like a grumpy old man yelling at the whippersnappers. I'm 29 for shit sake. Smile

Last edited by Keikai on Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
oblio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABMAD just showed up on my server a while ago... now its really the only ng I "read" (as opposed to post/leech cycles).

Is there a story about that? Was it not properly registered with the usenet hegemons of alt.config?
Melchior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I remember having read something like that back when ABMAD was created, and I think that was how ABMAD's creation was justified...

Of course, that feels like a long time ago...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum