abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Increase in CRC errors?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Increase in CRC errors? Reply with quote

Guess this is in the well known realm of *.... is it just my problem or are others seeing this ...*

For the last few weeks I've been getting a lot more CRC errors when unraring -- usually in one or two Parts in about half the episodes downloaded. The length is usually correct; there's just been some bit damage. Either PAR2 (as long as the poster has not made all of its files the same *super-size* -- and what's up with that?!?) or a RAR recovery record make the fix trivial. As for those who post PARs with no RAR recovery record, necessitating the download of complete P##'s for a few bits of damage...well, that's what the *nags* are for, I guess... Razz

(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should note that with PAR2, even if the poster makes all the par2 files the same large size, you can deliberatly choose to download only part of the file. The resulting incomplete par2 file will still be useable for repair purposes.
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that's supposed to work, but it failed in the one test I've given it -- I'll use the method again next time I have reason to though. The vast majority of my complaints are with PAR/no Recover posters.

(inc)
oblio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen more "damged files" in the last few weeks... all have been easily fixed within the par2's made avail. I've noticed in every instance recovery records were off. :/

I have tested using partial par2files with success on linux.

regards....
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ob,

On posts I've had with CRC errors and PARs, with no PAR2s, about a third to a half of them have actually had recover turned on -- I don't usually check the posts with PAR2, though as I know you saw off my comments related to my recent post of Cerulian Sand 23, I'm even more in favor then ever of having recover turned on in posts with PAR2 support files.

I'm going to be hammering the *nag* related to PARs and RAR Recover just a bit more often then it's normal cycle.

(inc)
oblio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, the only posts that I have seen with persistant bit-twiddling damage have all been accompianied by par2's. The Saint Saiya TVs come to mind (over the last few days). I'm getting 60% of those files slightly damaged (to the tune of 1 block of damage in most of the files).

But the par2's cover it... I guess I've been lucky that the par1 peopls posts seem to do better for me (easynews, newsguy, and newsfeeds (*))

Anyway RR at 1% is SUCH a good idea its amazing.

later-
ob

(*) yes- I have a usenet problem.
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, just did a quick survey of about the last 20 posts in aba. Eight posts used PAR and 12 used PAR2. Three posters using PARs (though accounting for more then 3 posts) did not include a recover record (...and I'm work'n on 'em... Cool ). Really not that bad.

(inc)
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed any increase in errors, aside from those AUS posts in ABMA which are so incomplete I won't even try.

Most of the error problems I have come from Win98's terrible buffering problems. Sometimes SmartPAR and QuickPAR actually make matters worse when recovering, because Windows is feeding them the wrong data from the disk. Solution: Reboot between downloading and recovering, and do all recovery before doing any unRARing. Then reboot as necessary whenever WinRAR reports errors that don't exist.
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, well I don't have to go through quite that many hoops, G... Rolling Eyes

I'm not really seeing any massive incompletions, just a few bits shifted -- might even be a problems with my router. The lan *card* is actually Intel's new Gigabit LAN, built into an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe in a new box I put together a couple of weeks ago. I'd suspect that, except I was seeing similar CRC problems on my now-backup box from the time I returned from vacation about 3 weeks ago.

(inc)
Keikai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running into that too, inc. Thought it strange myself that it was usually in posts that had par2s with them, although I know there's no direct link. Thankfully some had recovery records which made it really quick and easy to fix. Otherwise, I just had to go through the par2 process.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum