abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Millenium Actress

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Millenium Actress Reply with quote

Around here (Los Angeles), Millenium Actress has been playing "in select theatres". There's no advertising that I've seen and only noticed walking by a theater in Westwood displaying a bill for it.

So check around your town - maybe it's playing near you. It's a wonderful bit of storytelling and a shame that it's not getting the hype that Spirited Away did.

-xo
Jiss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never heard of it until now.

Only in a few places. Here's the online theatres in the US showing it
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0291350/cinemashowtimes

In addition. This ad http://www.cinecon.com/news.php?id=0308252 suggests that it's only showing in NY, LA, SF, Boston (dunno the abbr. sorry ^_^), and Chicago.

Let me just add that I'm deeply unhappy with Dreamworks for putting a limited release on this and no advertising. I hate any company that does that as they expect a miracle to happen and tons of people to turn up without anyone being told it is on. Then when it flops massively they effectively wipe their hands of it and brand it a failure Sad

Okay, I'm in a weird mood. Just seen the end of Narutaru and umm, yeah, going by that I'd hate to be a Dreamworks employee Razz
superjaded

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the DVD comes out next week, so no reason to be too pissed off at Dreamworks at this point. Oddest thing about it is the fact that it comes subtitled only, no English dub at all.

The movie itself was very good too, IMO. Not disturbing like Perfect Blue -- heck I was laughing more than I was anything else. Interesting film, though.. I probably tried to make it more complicated than it was though, when I considered who it was done by.
Chung

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a version of it that moved through the groups a few months ago.. I grabbed it, and somehow.. actually managed to watch it (that's getting harder, still trying to figure out how I finished watching all 3 patlabor movies this past week). I thought it was pretty good though, a bit wierd though... the jumps between present and past and they gray line transitions while telling the story from present to past and back and inbetween.. and while she's in the movie she's acting in relating to the present recollections of the past... well, yea.. it's just as confusing as I just said, sometimes :P Overall though, I thought it was a pretty good flick.
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the 'sticks' so there's 0 chanced it'd play in a theater near me. Sad

I did grab and watch the version posted to the groups a while back (to lazy to go check who/when). I thought it was pretty interesting and enjoyable. A serious 'artsy' movie that happened to be animated rather than live action IMO.

Serious, touching, playfull, and tragic (to U.S. sensibilities I'd guess). I found the timeline and blending of reality well done in that it helped tell the story rather than becoming too much of a 'smoke and mirrors' distraction. I guess some might still see it as such but it didn't get in the way for me.

P.S. 'artsy' is for anyone who's regular diet is made up of the usual Hollywood blockbuster drivel. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum