abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Some stats for you number fiends

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you care if your name is listed on a "Frequent Posters" list?
No, go ahead
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Hell yes! What are you crazy?
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Cowboy Neal
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Some stats for you number fiends Reply with quote

As you may know, I'm work with a team that includes matt and Gorunova to try to log all posting activity that occurs in the anime newsgroups. It's at http://animeusenet.org in case you weren't aware.

Anyway, we've been going at it since mid-October 2001 (seems much longer Wink) and so with a nice 4 month chunk of data behind us, I ran through it and did a few queries summarized below.

I'm posting here first to get some feedback. I plan to add a few comments and post to the newsgroup sometime soon.

I'm not including it below, but I also ran through "Frequent Posters" broken down by newsgroup. I'm not sure how the individuals who are on that list feel about have that information made available - a few are members of this forum (I'm pretty sure you guys can guess who you are Wink) so I'd definitely like to hear how you'd feel about seeing this info posted.

Secondly, I welcome any ideas for other kinds of number crunching you might have.

Enjoy!
-xo

Code:

Posts By Month By Newsgroups

abma   aba  abmar  abat  abav  TOTAL
2001-11   408   369    277    36    21   1111
2001-12   355   440    272     5     9   1081
2002-01   486   451    281    24     7   1249
2002-02   521   484    332    40    20   1397

Popular Titles - abma
---------------------
1       DragonBall Z        214
2       Ranma 1/2           181
3       Fushigi Yuugi       101
4       Love Hina            96
5       DragonBall GT        91
6       DragonBall           89
7       Kodomo no Omocha     87
8       Slam Dunk            77
9       Argento Soma         59
10      InuYasha             59

Popular Titles - aba
--------------------
1       DragonBall Z                               152
2       Ranma 1/2                                  134
3       Fushigi Yuugi                               58
4       D4 Princess                                 55
5       Saber Marionette J                          53
6       Street Fighter II V                         53
7       Cardcaptor Sakura                           49
8       Miracle Girls                               48
9       Sexy Commando Gaiden Sugoiyo Masaru-san     47
10      Noir                                        44

Popular Titles - abmar
----------------------
1       Rurouni Kenshin             97
2       Saber Marionette J          58
3       Trigun                      45
4       Outlaw Star                 44
5       Noir                        43
6       Ayashi No Ceres             40
7       Neon Genesis Evangelion     38
8       Cowboy Bebop                30
9       Dragonball GT               30
10      Tenchi Universe             28

Popular Titles - abat
---------------------
1       Tenchi Universe                       43
2       Pretty Sammy                          36
3       Tenchi Muyo                           18
4       Pretty Sammy TV                        7
5       Tenchi in Tokyo                        3
6       Tenchi Muyo: Mihoshi                   2
7       Tenchi Muyo In Love                    1
8       Tenchi Muyo In Love 2                  1
9       Tenchi Muyo: Daughter of Darkness      1

Popular Titles - abav
---------------------
1       Earth Girl Arjuna                    14
2       Crayon Shinchan TV                   11
3       Jubei Chan                            9
4       Super Dimension Fortress Macross      7
5       Photon The Idiot Adventures           5
6       Fushigi Yuugi                         4
7       Dragon Warrior                        3
8       Escaflowne                            2
9       Porco Rosso                           2
10    Amon Saga                             1
Keikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I have some mixed emotions on a couple of points. I don't even feel the following comments are opinions, but rather things I'd just like to throw out there for discussion.

First off, as for the listing of nicks I'd recommend going with the vote, but if the vote is to include nicks I'd recommend having some sort of and "opt-out" system. Yeah, I know, more work for you. But I think you were doing that with the animeusenet database anyways.

Second, I worry a bit about the relevancy of the data. It seems to show more (but definately not exclusively) the stuff that is getting over-posted. In the right hands this is a wonderful learning tool, but as we know there are those who might not use it for education and improvement of our groups.

Similarly, once nicks are included it might make things worse. People might get competitive about posting the most and leading to a worsening of an already bad situation. While none of the regulars would ever do this, if you really look at it, allot of the heavy posting is not the regulars with their new or updated material, but rather reposts by other folks. (See my other article in the thread on reposts if you think I'm completely anti-repost, as I'm not.) How those "other folks" use the information is the key. Of course, the counterpoint is that those folks are also less likely to ever notice a text post. Smile

Anyways, again I don't know if I believe what I just said, but it did come to mind and I thought I'd blurt out an overly-cynical (and likely paranoid) view of things. Personally, I think the data is excellent for the regulars to monitor the group situation. With such data it will be much easier to make intelligent recommendations in the FAQ and to posters.

I have to go now, I think a black helicopter is hovering outside my window. Wink
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hovering? Darn, my remote control batteries must be dead again...

Anyway, I had similar concerns. I think it's really interesting to see stats like that, but I definitely don't want to start any sort of competition between posters. There's already way too much traffic. But everyone knows my position on that already. Smile

Note that frequent posters can already see their names in crosshairs (with no privacy opt-out like we have at animeusenet) in the Usenet admin statistics. That was one of the things that scared the Himekawa sisters away.

Your other concern was about the usefulness of the series popularity stuff. I think it's interesting, but it's the popularity with posters. I think popularity with viewers would be a better indication of the popularity of the series, and that falls to voting boards and repost requests, which we don't keep track of.

Sorry to poo-poo on your work like this, xo, but it's looking like these stats may serve more evil purposes than good. Sad
Orqyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone in aba/abma used to generate just such a list of posters until it became too much of a hassle. Lets just say he's someone very popular. VERY popular. ok, if you haven't figured it out by now, it was inc.

But that was when things were small, people posted moderately in rms, and I was getting flamed for using divx which increased file size and d/ls by 10x. As Keikai mentioned, its a nice stat, but as to whether it would benefit or hurt more, that's a cloudly issue.

Unless it was unranked, that is, sorted by alphabetical order or something of that nature, it would just become a competition to some, as human nature is like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
oblio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly asked to be on the anonymous list for animeusenet.org, presumably if you are anonymous there then you show up as anonymous on the list?
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I didn't mention it in my original message, the topic of competition did come up in discussions I had with Matt and Gorunova after I'd run the numbers. It is exactly the kind of thing some unfortunate individual would see as a challenge, to knock <your favorite poster> off the top, as if it mattered.

oblio wrote:

I certainly asked to be on the anonymous list for animeusenet.org, presumably if you are anonymous there then you show up as anonymous on the list?

I was planning on honoring every nick listed "do-not-show" list maintained there, so yes.

After seeing the comments posted here, though, I think I won't post any of the data to the newsgroup, just keep it here for "internal use only" Wink.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum