abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

super duper vcd

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: super duper vcd Reply with quote

Just had a hare-brained idea, and I'm wondering if the collective wisdom could help me out. I want to create a VCD, but on a DVD. It should work for all intents and purposes like a VCD, but it happens to be burned on 4.7GB DVD-R. So, I burn it, I pop it into my DVD player, I get 6-7 hours of crappy MPEG-1 video per disc, instead of having to deal with 6+ CDs of same.

Does that make any sense?

I'd rather not have to do any re-encoding.

Is this possible? Pointers?

-xo
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess on a related note: a SVCD on DVD?
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
I guess on a related note: a SVCD on DVD?

Oops, nevermind. It occurs to me that I could just author a regular DVD using SVCD MPEG-2s. It'd just be a low-bitrate DVD.

Right?

-xo
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having very recently bought DVD burner myself, I considered this as an option too.

Unfortunately, it seems impossible.

I don't think the bitrate matters at all and can be as low as you want, but the resolution and other DVD specs do.

You will have to re-encode everything including the SVCDs because DVD resolution is 720x480, not 480x480.

I tried making an SVCD image BIN/CUE of all the Sadamitsu SVCDs with VCDEasy, but it wouldn't let me make such a huge file. I got some integer error message and couldn't add more than about 1.1GB worth of files.

Oh well, I tried.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neuralblastoma wrote:

I don't think the bitrate matters at all and can be as low as you want, but the resolution and other DVD specs do.

Drat! I totally neglected that aspect.

Still, might be worth the convenience of having that much video on one disc, for things where I can accept low quality. "Up-converting" MPEG1 to MPEG2 doesn't sound too bad...

-xo
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN author VCDs on a DVD. They ARE in the DVD specs. 352x240 is a DVD spec. You can just split the audio and video and use your DVD authoring software to mux. The only thing you will have to do is resample the audo to 48k. Since 44.1k is NOT DVD spec. Just use besweet to convert to AC3 (or wav if you don't care.) Now, on the other hand, SVCDs are NOT in DVD specs. Being 480x480, which isn't in the DVD specs, which is 352/704/720x240/480 (NTSC). You will probably have to re-encode the video to dvd standard. There are some dvd players that will accept tricked/hacked headers. Where in the header it says 352 and not 480, but not all dvd players will play them right. I have one that will and one that will garble the image. So all I can say is just test and see. You can find some great authoring tips at doom9.org.

BTW, I recently changed to adelphia cable, so I wont be getting newsgroups anymore. Sad I'll miss you guys and your postings.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeonMcNichol wrote:
BTW, I recently changed to adelphia cable, so I wont be getting newsgroups anymore. Sad I'll miss you guys and your postings.

Sorry to hear that, LM. Does Adelphia not carry Usenet at all?

I hope you continue to be a part of this forum, nonetheless- I'm sure you'll find alternate means to get your anime fix.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that too, Leon. though BT and IRC make the new shows fairly easy to keep up with (that is if the subbers don't drop them, lol) provided you're not d/l cap'd in some way. Older shows are a bit more problematical.

(inc)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum