abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Suggest a pay server for me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highspar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Suggest a pay server for me Reply with quote

like the subject says, I need to find a pay server. with the rogers/compaq situation, files I post aren't even complete on the new News server. ARG! Anyways, I'm leaning towards easynews, but I was wondering if anyone had any others they might suggest.
Chung

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I haven't tried any other premium news servers, Easynews works great for me. Their nntp is hanging around 3 weeks retention, but their web interface is hanging around 50 days, last I checked. Great for fills.. and they have a server for posting. So it all works well for $10/mo.

--Chung
oblio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newsguy is 70$/year for 500M/day. They have great completion, low retention (3-5 day), and moderate speeds (8-20kBs).

I use them to mop up what I newsfeeds.com misses. newsfeeds is 140$/year (or something), has high speeds (I get ~160kBs), varying retention, and moderate completion. The thing about these guys is I get around 4-5G/day download.

If you pull like I do, easynews becomes quickly too expensive.
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Chung, I too have only tried Easynews and I love it.

Rogers is fairly usable now, though far from perfect. Retention is about three days, completion is decent and speeds have improved over the last couple days. Though there is still the odd post that comes through very incomplete. A premium server will still be necessary for us Rogers users for awhile I think.

I've been using Easynews to grab stuff I missed out on around a month ago when @home servers were slowly dying and Rogers was next to useless. So far I've used it mostly for non-anime groups. New anime that's posted and too incomplete I just get off IRC.

Speed varies depending on where you are but the web server is always much faster than the NNTP server. Web server speed for me ranges from about 50-120 depending on time of day. NNTP is usually 40-50 I think.

NNTP retention is about three weeks and the web server now has 57 days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Highspar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, after looking at newsfeeds, I'd spend lots of money on that and many many hard drives, very quickly. (not that this is a BAD thing, but probably not advised). someone give me one more testimonial on easynews, and I'll open up the wallet and give them some beer money... sniff my beer...
user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's one more positive vote for Easynews. Excellent retention, as the others have said, and decent speeds where I am. yEnc support for the web decoder is in the works last I heard.

You do know about Easynews' free 3-day trial, right? You can sign up for the trial and get 3 days to download 1 GB, I believe.

http://www.easynews.com/trial/
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Easynews limit you to 6gig/month? If they do, what's it cost for more? If not, why am I still using giganews? Can anyone give me a good rundown on their payment options? I couldn't find a clear description on their site.
earthdark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oblio:
What's the limit per month for newsfeeds.com?
user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlienBoy wrote:

Doesn't Easynews limit you to 6gig/month? If they do, what's it cost for more? If not, why am I still using giganews? Can anyone give me a good rundown on their payment options? I couldn't find a clear description on their site.

It's 6 GB for 1 month, but if you run out before the 30 days you can pay $10 and get another 6 GB, and your quota cycle date will also be reset.
oblio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No monthly limit, only daily limits- thats why I like them.

They have about 8 relevant servers, for which you can have 2 threads open per server at any time. Your total number of newsfeeds threads can only be 3 at any time. The daily limit on each server is approx 600MB/day. This doesn't count pr0n servers, which would give you more bandwidth. You can check out http://www.newsfeeds.com for details.

Their web page layout is poor, so dig around in there a while. Also, I hear their tech support is crap, but I've never needed it, so I can't really comment on it.

I regularly pull all my daily quota, so speed isn't a real problem (with 3 threads running).
Onakra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy with Newscene (http://www.newscene.com/) in the period I've been with them (about 3 years). Compared to Easynews they may be a bit expensive, but they have several pricing packages. Completion is excellent and retention in ABA/ABMA about 7-8 days.

Since I'm in Europe I usually don't get good speeds from US servers and chose for the 'unlimited, capped account'. Officially you can get 2 connections at 8 kb/s with no limit, but usually I can get 4-5 connections no problem. So I'd say it's not too expensive.

Onakra
Keikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I know Easynews is better for retention (and am glad I have a friend who has an account with them), I prefer the GB/$ of Newscene and Newsguy. I'm grandfathered in on Newsguy for 1GB/day at the normal price (it's now 500M/day) so I can't really say if its worth it now as I'd drop them if I were lowered to 500M/day. Newscene seems to be the best GB/$ option when you go with the bandwidth limited option and just keep your queue full. I was quite unhappy, for one reason or the other, with all the other news services with regards for my needs. I have had a weird issue with Newscene having occasional corrupt downloads, but I think when yEnc takes off that should be resolved.

To sum up, if I had to have only one account it would depend on my priority:

GB/$ -- Newscene (16 kB/s cap option)
Retention -- Easynews (6 GB/mth option)
earthdark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, being a poor bastard, a heavy Usenet leech and wtih Roger's ever-overloaded news server, I guess I might go with newsfeeds then... wonder if I can scrap enough money, heh.
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yare yare....All the options. Just when I was thinking about switching service too. I like the unlimited, but the bandwidth cap is rough. I wish I was grandfathered on Newsguy. 1GB/day is about all I need anyway. I think for now I'm just going to keep an eye on my giganews stats. If it only looks like I'm going to pull 12-15 gigs a month then I may just stick with them.

Hmm...the Premium account on Newsfeeds looks interesting. It kind of sucks that you have to keep changing servers, though. Why can't they just make it so that I can put all my credits into one basket? *Sigh* or better yet, let me pick and choose my servers. Do I really care about 750MB/day of binarykiller service? Show me the man who can download 750MB/day of nonbinaries and I'll show you a man with too much time on his hands. I may just try out the premium service for a month if giganews fails on me....what?.....I've been rambling again? Terribly sorry.
oblio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about newsfeeds is it has that 1 month subscription. Good idea to try before you buy.

Anyway, with the proper newsreaders the multi-server thing really isn't a problem. newsbin pro deals with multi-server nicely, but in general I use my own programs so I really can't comment on other software.

The unlimited thing is insanely expensive, and I don't do it. That's saying something because I pull a lot of binaries. Still, a line must be drawn. :)

You're right on the binarykiller thing. I've never used that.

Also, there is a server called "my.newsfeeds.com" which allows you to choose your own groups and gives you the same retention as multimedia.newsfeeds.com. This is a giant RED HERRING. That 750 megs it gives you is useless because it can only be accessed using their web2news gateway, which doesn't pull binaries for a shit.

I use them, and I like them, but I don't think they are for everyone- make sure you try them first, and make sure you use the right tools for the situation.

Good luck,
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum