abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Suggest a pay server for me
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsbin is pretty good. I used to use it back when I had access to @home servers. My main problem with it is organization. Xnews has been my reader of choice for a pretty long while now. What I would probably end up doing is using each different server for a different group. I rarely pull more than 750 megs/day out of one group unless it's a vcd group. I'll probably give them a shot in a week. Too bad there isn't a customer referal program that could help you out.
deoch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: ~ Reply with quote

I recently paid for a month of newsfeeds since the cox news server was dropping a bunch of posts (seems to be getting better now). It gives you good bandwidth caps for the money, but it can be a hassle. One little annoyance is that it usually drops files that don't have all the parts. You have to check for which ones are missing rather than being able to see the broken parts.

The main annoyance with it though is the numerous servers. The content of each server varies so it can take time to sort through everything to get what you want. This can be both good and bad. Good, since you can try more than one server to get posts, but bad since you may start downloading on one, reach the limit, and find that it's missing a bunch of parts on another server. The main one that is good for anime is the multimedia.newsfeeds.com one. It's got great retention (I'm not used to the retention of premium news servers so others are probably better), and the completion is pretty good. One quirk is it sometimes seems to occasionally get a few corrupt files after being downloaded. In such cases, I usually have to turn to the binaries or goliath servers. Binaries servers retention is much shorter. Goliath servers has better retention than the binaries servers. Completion on binaries and goliath servers are less than the multimedia server. Sometimes it drops a bunch of posts but sometimes its fine. MP3 server has good completion with great retention. The "My" server works alright. It has ok completion with short retention (Not exactly what was advertised... -_^). I usually start with the "my" server, then move on to the multimedia server. If there's missing parts or I'm going to be downloading to the limits, I check the binaries/goliath servers. Speeds on each server varies. I get about 100-200 Kilobytes a second with the multimedia server, but around 40-50 Kilobytes a second with the My server for example. Sometimes it won't let me connect to the servers (I think it has a limit of 3 feeds at a time) and say I'm logged on to server(s) that I no longer am, but it clears up within a few minutes.

So far, it seems like an decent service, but sometimes it takes a bit of time to sort through it all. Judging by the bandwidth limits imposed by other servers (pay for low monthly gig amount), I couldn't really find a better option without paying a bunch. Right now, it's just something that I use when the cox server is having some completion issues. If the cox server clears up its completion, I'll discontinue the newsfeeds subscription.

Oh yeah, and if you're curious, I use Xnews. I haven't tried other programs such as NewsBin yet.

"Onlynews" looked like it had a good amount of daily bandwidth with a good price, but I haven't found anyone who has used it.
Orqyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone else hasn't suggested.. :Newscene.

Quite a few posters have it, but I'm pretty sure that's not what this thread's about.

Completion is really nice, if it aint' complete here, it probably isn't at all. Other than that, its pretty much standard like everyone else with monthly caps and rates. Retention at ~1week. They also have snail speed without d/l limits. At 16k/sec, figuring you d/l diligently you get
16k/sec * 60 sec/min * 60 min/hr * 24hr/day * 30days/month = 41gigs.

Wait, is that right? Well, anyway that was I was on for a yr, and I managed to get most everything I wanted. Now I pay for internet instead of ghey school network, and while pings aren't as great, I get *freedom* :)

400th post!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NSP history:

Started with newsfeeds and altopia. Dumped altopia, when I got DSL (they're too expensive at high bandwidth) and newsfeeds, when they changed their terms of service.

Now I'm with newscene as primary NSP. I use their 60Gig/3month account.

As secondary (for fills and to harvest the picture groups) I use easynews. Lately, I have to update the account twice a month, because my reader for yenc posts (Newsbin 4) is running on easynews. Newsgrabber 3 (my favorite, running on newscene) doesn't support yenc. It's a bit mean, since easynews gives you more gigs on NNTP because of the encoding overhead, but I mostly download yenc there... Wink

Oh yeah... I also have an account on usenetserver. They're pretty cheap and pretty fast, but very crappy and incomplete most of the time. So I take a 75Gig/6month account. When they have a good time, I use them as primary NSP, trying to spend my 75Gigs bofore the 6 months run out.
(I also harvest a.b.m.e.asian at these times. Twisted Evil )

T.Rieper
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm checking out Newsfeeds this month. So far things are...interesting. I've gotten used to the multiple servers, but it takes a little while longer for posts to show up. I took the count under the understanding that I would download most of what I could from them and then just use my Giganews account for fills. Well, when giganews is staring you in the face with an entire post that hasn't even shown up on newsfeeds yet, it takes a lot of willpower to not go ahead and download. I think I have to agree that Newsfeeds isn't for everybody, but I'm slowly coming around to it.
Highspar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I guess it's time I updated everybody, I ended up going with Easynews, at least for this month. and for those that said their retention was good, my god, it's AMAZING! 50 days on the web interface... I just managed to fill rars that I've been holding onto for a month. though that did hurt the quota a bit.

Though I have noticed that some posts haven't made it though to the rogers servers at all now... the latest one was Hajime no Ippo 27. I nearly cried. missing that episode would have made me go violent at actually attack those rogers trucks in neighborhood Twisted Evil
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum