abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Tokyo Godfathers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Tokyo Godfathers Reply with quote

Tokyo Godfathers is making the circuit, mostly starting this Friday and mostly in California. Lucky me, one of the theaters showing it is a couple of miles from here. After being wowed by Millenium Actress, I'm looking forward to it.

Anyway, check out http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/tokyogodfathers/ for more info and theaters that will be showing it.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up, xo. I see it will be near me on the 16th also.

(inc)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I saw Tokyo Godfathers last night. The L.A. Times had run two articles about it over the week, one a fluffy "intro to anime" piece (though specifically with TG as a reference point) and one a straight up review. Both were positive.

In light of this coverage, I was disappointed to see a light turnout (opening night 7:30 showing). Perhaps mirroring a a recent poll, the crowd was mostly non-Asian, mostly nerdy.

I won't go into the movie itself other than to say it was a lot of fun. I think Kon was shooting for broader appeal with this one and it wasn't as mentally demanding as Perfect Blue or Millenium Actress were. Which is not to say it was dumbed down at all - just that the approach was more light-hearted and comedic in tone.

A couple of negatives - the subtitling job was less the perfect. A couple of typos which jarred me out of my immersion. A couple of times, characters spoke and no translation was provided - in one case, it was a significant omission as it set up a pretty funny joke that followed (my friend whispered an explanation to me). And translation of signage and other written bits was inconsistent.

One minor problem I've had with Kon's work is that the animation is inconsistent. There are times where scenery is breath-taking in a way different from, say, Miyazki's. But then, there are other times, especially in facial expressions, where it seems a little sloppy. Nothing too terrible, but noticeable.

Unlike his first two works, I didn't find the music compelling at all. There were some amusing choices but it wasn't used as effectively as in Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress.

Anyway, these are all nitpicks - it was very fun and I highly recommend it.

-xo
deoch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to see this, but I didn't find out that it was being shown relatively near here until tuesday.. Last day they show it is thursday night and I can't make it then :|..

Oh well...
deoch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Region-1 DVD coming April 13 from Columbia-Tristar. Japanese language track only. I might pick this up since I missed it in theaters and I'm surprised to see a release so fast.
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast because of no dub I'd assume. Hope that means cheaper too? Smile

(inc)
deoch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually is a little bit cheaper than most R1 Anime DVDs Smile. MSRP is 26.96. It's around 20$ at online retailers RightStuf and DeepDiscountDVD at the moment. Plus, since it's Columbia-Tristar you might end up seeing discounts at mainstream retailers on release.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum