abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

New shows - Dec '03/Jan '04
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(inc)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: New shows - Dec '03/Jan '04 Reply with quote

(...whatever xo wants,xo gets... lol):

Edited 1/28 -- see '+'
Edited 2/05 -- see '++'

Well I really haven't watched much of them yet, but I'll initiate a thread with what I think is a list of them, at least as many as I can remember, but mainly checking the Anime Daisuki tv schedule ( http://animedaisuki.net:8008/anime-tvguide ). Feel free to copy (or not) and fill-in your own thoughts – correcting my inept spelling while at it, please. I feel like I missed something, but the list is actually a whole lot longer then I would have guessed it might be. Some of this will _never_ be posted though probably ("Transformers Super Link"?!?). At least superficially this looks no where near as good as the last season – maybe not even remotely. I guess the truth will be in the watching.

-- Area 88
Watched the first ep. May not be much to it, but worth a few more I guess. Definitely presently low-priority though
+ Didn't improve in the second ep - kind of slow moving with induced *drama*. Eventually probably only for the plane lovers if it doesn't give a good *twist* pretty soon.

-- B-Legend! Battle Bedaman

-- Burn-Up Scramble

-- Choujuushin Gravion Zwei

-- Cosmopolitan Prayers
++ Watched 3 eps. Magic girls battling odd monsters - juvenile with mild fan-service. Its big problem is that it's really badly written/directed. No more for me.

-- Daphine in the Brilliant Blue
++ Watched 3 eps. Turned out to be another We'll-Do-Anything Agency series (just call them "Agencies"), like GetBackers or L/R, and now Mezzo -- didn't expect that. Of course there are other *mysterious* folks obviously involved in some deep sub-plot about also. Kind of enjoying it, though it may win the award for silliest battle costume ever – when fighting I'd think I'd want my … errr… rear covered a bit more, myself. Built-in fan-service.

-- Divergence Eve - Misaki Chronicle

-- Fireboys

-- GitS – SAC 2nd Gig

-- Gokusen
+ Enjoyed the first ep quite a bit. A little Cromartie, a little Yakuza, a little fighting, even a little romance. And in the ending credits (22:39) there is a drawing of the lead *princess* in costume with a sword over her shoulder that I'd love to see textless for a wallpaper.
++ Watched 3 eps now. Fast moving multi-level show – better be it's only 13 eps. Best on this list, IMO. How long can Ojou continue to show her *feminine* side without breaking?

-- Jubei-chan 2

-- Kita-he ~Diamond Dust Drops
++ Watched 3 eps, the first 2 of which comprise the first story of 6, each about a young woman living on Hokkaido. Mostly serious soap-opera, but well written and directed. Worth getting if you've got the BW and it's a genre that appeals to you.

-- Maria-sama go Miteru
+ Watched the first 3 eps which are kind of one mini-arc. It's the characters that will have to carry this and I don't know yet if they can.
I don't usually ever worry about shoujo/shounen differentiations, but it's going to take some good writing to keep me watching this soaper. And no ugly girls need apply to that school -- I think they're recruited by the Abercrombie and Fitch folks.
This show will definitely have an audience, just don't know if it will include me.
++ Watched 4 eps now. It does what it does so well, it's hard to ignore.

-- Mezzo
Looked much better then I thought it might -- might be kind of fun.
+ Watched 3 eps now and still above average. A mix of GetBackers with any number of (enhanced)-girl-with-gun shows. Her boss with his endless puns (and just a bit of wisdom) is the fun one though.

-- Monkey Turn

-- SD Gundam Force

-- Shoot for an Ace

-- Tenbatsu! Angel Rabbie

-- Transformers Super Link
I'll be sure to watch for this one.. Razz

-- Yumeria
++ Watched the first ep – AJ's so I wasn't always sure how much guessing was going on. One kinda lame guy, lotsa magic girls with an alternate universe thingee and a bit of pedophilia – You've seen this one before. It does have a certain wit at times; guess I'll grab another ep or two at least – just wish it wasn't AJ.

And kinda new:

-- Boboboubo Bou Bobo
Err... mmm.. yeah...

-- Chrno Crusade
Only have watched the first one - I'm sure there are already some well formed opinions on this one.

Of course JASCII talks about some of these.
http://www.jascii.net/newanime/newanime.html

And, yes, Uninhabited Planet SURVIVE isn't there – it's actually from the last season and has shown up to ep 13 (of 52) already. I guess someone just let their thumb out of the dyke on that one.

(inc)

Last edited by (inc) on Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
~Lain of the Wired~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

=Long= time no post... I'll comment on some of the new series.

Kita he ~ Diamond Dust Drops
Watched the 1st ep out of 12 or 13, and looking good. From the forum of one of the groups who subbed it, this series is made up of short stories about 4 girls who live in Hokkaido (hence "Kita he" -- to the north). There's a LOT of plot for a series of this length, so it's pretty fast paced. I was going to delete it after seeing the opening sequence, but thank God I didn't. People who like drama and anime that's more mature (but not dark) might want to check this one out.

Maria-sama ga Miteru
Watched the first 2 episodes. Life at a girl's high school. Drama, but more shoujo-styled than Kita he. There's some subtle shoujo ai hints here & there (even the school was named after lily -- yuri). This series might not be posted regularily... I had to go to the groups' channels and beg people to upload it every time a new ep comes out. Hopefully they have an official Usenet distro person now.
http://www.gokigenyou.com/top.htm (Japanese)
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added some to my post above (marked with a '+'). Though I've only watched one ep, Gokusen may be my first choice on this list so far with about a 'B', Mezzo next with ~ 'B-'.

Plan to look at Yumeria, Kita-he, Daphine and Cosprayers soon (kind of ignoring the endless sequals for the moment).

Not a great season so far.

(inc)
Melchior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, I've got to toss my opinion into the 'new shows' topic:

Daphne in the Brilliant Blue:
Seen the first two eps, I think I know where the series is headed, though I haven't seen enough to say if it's 'good' or not. Doesn't strike me as being brilliant, though.

Gokusen:
Seen the first two eps. Looks very good so far, perhaps the new show that I'm most excited about. Some fighting, some yakuza, some Azumanga Daioh, well-drawn (for the most part), ...

Kita-he ~ Diamond Dust Drops:
Seen the first episode. The feel of the first episode significantly reminds me of Someday's Dreamers (I think that was the name of the show) from one or two seasons ago. Not sure quite where the story's going from here, but I'll stick with it for at least another couple of episodes. No judgment from me on this one yet.

Maria-sama ga Miteru:
Stopped watching after the first episode. I'll take some light shoujo, please-- this was a bit much for my tastes.

Mezzo DSA:
Stopped watching after the second episode-- the show was neatly done, had good action, and perhaps an interesting storyline, but, well, it felt contrived. In the first episode, how did they throw a girl out the window, jump down a shaft with wires to control their descent (the wires were shot while descending), and still manage to catch the girl before she hit the ground? I don't think the explosions when their handguns shoot things is exactly realistic either. Yes, I was annoyed. If you can get over the strange physics, then I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable series. (disclaimer: I never made it all the way through Kite for exactly the same reason).

Bobobo:
Uhhh... I'll have to wait for a second episode. Maybe. What were they smoking?

Chrno Crusade:
Stopped after first episode. I can't for the life of me remember what happened, but I wasn't enjoying it.

Uninhabited Planet Survive:
Eagerly awaiting the next episode. The feel of the series is not unlike that of The Secret of Cerulean Sand-- it's rather simplistic, but with a good story. It does feel contrived here and there, and there are places where the physics are messed up, but the story is good enough to make up for those breaks. Note: the first episode *almost* killed the series for me, but it's picked right up since then.

Massugi ni Ikou:
A high-school love story focusing on the main characters' dogs? Only seen one episode, but it was plenty good that I'll pick up the next one. Looks very promising.

Twin Spica:
Eagerly awaiting the next episode. I think this one stands a good chance at becoming a classic. A nicely-told story about a girl who wants to become an astronaut. I guess this one's actually from last season, but what the hey. Supposedly the subbing group hasn't dumped the show, and they'll release the next episode "when it's ready".

And that's my list.

Shows I'm hooked on:
Gokusen, Uninhabited Planet Survive, Twin Spica.

Shows that show promise:
Massugi ni Ikou

Shows I have not yet formed an opinion on:
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, Kita-he.
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel,

Just watched the second ep of Gokusen and liked it even more. Obviously they're subscribing to the theory that at least some of the Yakuza are the descendants of ronin – love it when Ojou (my favorite of her various nicks) breaks out into accidental Samurai-speak to her students. Really seems to be the best of the new crop.

And we just got a hint of what is probably the larger story-line.

(inc)
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we just have a new season like five or six weeks ago? New shows seem to be appearing faster all the time.

I've peeked at SURVIVE, Mezzo and Boboobobbbobbobooboubobo. Bo.

I tend to agree with Melchior about Mezzo. I'll give it a couple more chances assuming I can ever find the bandwidth to grab it.

U.P.S. is odd. It seems like a pretty obvious take-off on all those silly "survival" so-called "reality" shows from the last few years, which I loathe utterly, but putting it in an SF environment makes it a little more tolerable. It also seems to be trying to teach basic boy scout survival stuff. I find it enjoyable but written for a very young audience.

Bo[bo]*bo is really something. I couldn't even get halfway through the first episode. Usually I like genere parody (frex, Excel), but this is more like a parody of genere parody. Still, it's ten times better than Fist of the North Star, which I'll bet it's a parody of. Smile
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist of the North Star -- couldn't finish the first ep. Should have put that in that *disliked anime* thread.

I think the 13 week seasons are more obvious now as there really do seem to be more series ~13 where the number of 26 ep series seems to have dropped.

The Anime-Fansubs tv list is interesting because the "Now Airing" section is in order of how long the show has been on the air:
http://animedaisuki.net:8008/index.php?PHPSESSID=b0cdd7e90f6f376ed49290c38abe5cae

(inc)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
I think the 13 week seasons are more obvious now as there really do seem to be more series ~13 where the number of 26 ep series seems to have dropped.

I noticed this too - seems like a year or two ago (and earlier) 26 ep series were the norm and 13 ep ones were unusual. This is almost inverted now.

Thanks for all the comments guys - I added Gokusen to the list of stuf I'll suck bandwidth, keep on my hard drive for a while, then burn onto CD and dutiful catalog and then never watch.

This does seem like a pretty "lean" season.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added bits about Gokusen, Maria-san, Yumeria, Kita-he, Daphine and Cosprayers to the list above. And how long can all those sequels be ignored? Maybe forever.

(inc)
eimaj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if this isnt new enough but

Maburaho - For some reason I lke this series. Maybe I just wish girls would fight over me Very Happy
SD M

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, is Area 88 the next in the line of "let's take a 10+ years old anime and make a sequel/remake" anime?

Looking at ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/tv+movies/anime-manga/sorted/Area88/Anime/
the original Area 88 most likely was a 3-part OAV made in or before 1987.
Which also spawned a game (see http://66.131.170.52:52411/area88.html )
and, comparing the screenshots, very likely also inspired the good old DOS game Zone 66
(see http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Zone+66
gee, they nearly completely copied that gold with red plane... )

Great. I've played both games but seen _neither_ anime. Crying or Very sad
deoch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've played Area 88 as well. It was called UN Squadron here though.

I've only seen the first episode of the new Area 88 TV series and had no desire to watch anymore. :/
Musicman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

Of the new season I love Gokuson the best. Hopefully someone will sub the non anime jdrama if this series becomes really popular.

My interest is still in some of the older anime like Prince of Tennis and Naruto.
eimaj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicman wrote:
Hi Guys!

Of the new season I love Gokuson the best. Hopefully someone will sub the non anime jdrama if this series becomes really popular.

Yeah I like Gokusen - but it so feel like GTO
But that might just be me
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (late) $.02...

Maria-sama ga Miteru: Ok this one does indeed lay the sentiment on really thick. I ususally like my sloppy sentimental stuff in small doses but, this one has me hooked somehow. I'm actually watching it as I grab it. Wink

Mezzo: I checked this out since the OVA's over the top 'Ultra Violence' was actually kind of fun. I've watched 2 episodes so far and it's not really doing anything for me yet. It is as others here have described it. I'll keep grabbing it for now.

GitS-SAC 2nd: Grabbing it (of course) but haven't checked it out yet. (LMF versions)

Gokusen: Grabbing but haven't watched yet.

Paranioa Agent: This might belong in a new 'Spring' thread but I just watched 2 episodes the other day and it really caught my attention. This one looks very promising with it's offbeat kind of surreal'ishness and nice animation/style. I think I've read folks who compared it to Perfect Blue's style. I'd agree. Cool show! I have high hopes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum