abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Anyone else finish Gunslinger Girl?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(inc)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Anyone else finish Gunslinger Girl? Reply with quote

Anyone else finish Gunslinger Girl? One of the more thoughtful anime series of the last couple of years, IMO -- recommend it highly if you're looking for something that's a bit mature from a pyshological pov.

I've finished 3 series in the last few days: Avenger was a 'C-', Shingetsutan Tsukihime a 'B+', and Gunslinger Girl an 'A'.

(inc)
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so backlogged that I haven't watched it yet, though I have all the episodes except for 13.

I concur with your Tsukihime rating and I skipped Avenger all-together after hearing some people talk about it =P

Have you looked at Paranoia Agent at all? I haven't heard anyone talking about it (well, it's only on the 3rd ep) but I am, for some reason, totally captivated by it.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Last Exile then started Tsukihime tonight. I would've gone with Gunslinger based on your post, but I haven't yet burned the last set yet and I had to run with the discs.

Last Exile was a resounding "A" in my book - reminiscent of Escaflowne in grandeur, scope, and thorough realization of the fantasy world. Anyone else like this one as much as I did?

Tsukihime, after 3 eps, is definitely intriguing! Shiki is a bit of a lump, but Arc...

-xo
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't finished watching it yet.

At first (as I wrote here elsewhere) I didn't think I was going to like it. However I was hooked after episode 3 (and I love that opening song).

I've only watched up to 5 so far because I seem to have missed grabbing episode 8 somehow Confused (Triad versions are what I've been grabbing). Wanted to wait for all of it before sitting down to watch more.
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triad's is what I watched for Gunslinger. Let me know if you need a repost of ep 08, LnC. Or I can point you to the BT:
http://a.scarywater.net/triad/

Incidently, here a negative review of GsG (with heavy spoilers):
http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=845&PHPSESSID=7deeb3073475c8fb2ee7b1c7b514f017
...but I disagree totally with several of his assesments, especially "...never creates any empathy between the viewer and the characters." To me this is what it excelled at.

Glad to hear Last Exile lived up to expectations for someone; that's on my *to finish* list, even though I'm already buying the dvd's, lol.

Really enjoy hearing what people think after they've actually finished a series -- too little of that.

(inc)
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Really enjoy hearing what people think after they've actually finished a series -- too little of that.

I usually watch 5-6 eps to see if I should even bother to keep downloading it and wait to watch the rest later. By the time I get around to watching it, usually 2-3 more seasons of shows have gone by and people are talking about other things now and/or already formulated opinions on the earlier shows. I know some of my friends as well as some of you do the same thing.
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avenger was a miss for me. Watched about 3 episodes and it was doing nothing for me so with my limited bandwidth it got dropped.

Finished Shingetsutan Tsukihime a little while ago. I'd give it a 'B'. Enjoyable IMO.

I'm afraid I only managed to get the first 6 episodes of Last Exile and though it looked really good to me at that time I was really really pressed for bandwidth and I fell behind and couldn't continue getting it. Sucks to hear so much good about it in a way as it's one I wanted that I've just had to do without. Sad It's been reposted a lot since it's initial run I think but I just haven't had the bandwidth to grab it with all my other traffic. (Did I mention ISDN sucks? And... Adelphia and Sprint suck 10x as much? Bastards!) </rant>

Sadly one thing I regret getting recently was Ikkitousen. With repostings I had a couple days lul in traffic so I grabbed it all. Just finished watching it the other day. Grrrrr... Show gives 'Fanservice' a bad name. Even though I chuckled at it at some points I'd give it a 'D' (animation wasn't so hot either). If you want wild fighting girl anime with maximised upskirt camera angles and other sillyness Usagichan De Que was better, funnier, and more ridiculous (So bad it was 'almost' good). Maybe I'm being a bit harsh 'cause it hurts to dl something you don't care for. Confused

As far as Paranoia Agent goes... I've watched the first 2 episodes and it's got me hooked. This one looks like a real promising keeper. Looking forward to ep 3 eagerly.

Speaking of backlog... Let's just say I've got a small mountain that is quite daunting when I think of it. Lots of stuff left from back when I had a fat pipe to dl with. Finding time to actually sit down and watch anime is a surprising challenge sometimes.

Rambling on about series I've actually finished recently...

(OK, old stuff but...) El Hazard OVA's 1 + 2. 1 was quite fun for me. A fun 'alternate magical world' romp. However OVA 2 was no where near as good. It felt very contrived and forced to me so it left me feeling like I wished I hadn't bothered watching it.

(Newer...) Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari is another I just finished. I enjoyed it a lot (B+ at least). The surreal animation style (used particularly in backgrounds) was jarring at first but once I got used to it I was quite pleased. There was some cg ocean stuff in a later episode that just didn't seem to work well to my eye but that's a minor gripe. I watched the first 4 as I got them then waited for the rest and watched them all in 2 sittings. Lovely opening and ending sequences with nicely fitting music. I think the ending potentially left an opening for another season (not that it was a 'hanging' ending). Maybe I'm just hoping to see the well drawn Ogin-san again sometime. Wink

</ramble?>

P.S. I did a kind of half hearted req for Triad's GG ep 8 by ditto-ing someone else's request (god I'm lazy) but if you've got the spare bandwidth inc I would indeed appreciate a repost. I can't do BT (isp is gatewayed and I've got no way to control that for forwarding ports like my local router).

Gunslinger Girl is one I really want to watch even though it didn't impress me at first look. I'm glad I listened to other's opinions and gave it a chance because by episode 3 I'd decided it was worth continuing and by 5 I'd changed my mind completely. Thanks to Neuralblastoma's comments for making me think twice and keep going on this one.

Damn I'm all over the place in this post... Maybe I need more coffee. Or a brain tune up. Time to quit typing before I make things even worse. Wink
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LnC, soon as I can get a daughter to bring the dvd down from her bedroom, I'll post GsG 08 in abmar (unless the bittorrents for Gokusen or Gungrave suddenly appear, lol). I think the rest of Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari is next for me -- like you, I watched the first 4 or 5 as they came out and enjoyed them.

(inc)
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... Thanks. Smile

No hurry though. Got a full download queue yet again. As soon as I finish downloading and burning it all to archive these pesky posters put up more stuff and the cycle begins again. Twisted Evil

I think I'm gonna upload another fill to ABMAR as well so there's another 24+ hours tied up at least. Wink
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, already posted -- sorry to be too quick off the mark, LnC. If you run into retention problems, just let me know and I'll Fill.

(inc)
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fret. Wink

Hint: How to survive the anime groups on a sucky connection? Easynews. Wink I'd have had to give up completely long ago without a high retention premium nntp.
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaughnCynic wrote:

Gunslinger Girl is one I really want to watch even though it didn't impress me at first look. I'm glad I listened to other's opinions and gave it a chance because by episode 3 I'd decided it was worth continuing and by 5 I'd changed my mind completely. Thanks to Neuralblastoma's comments for making me think twice and keep going on this one.

You're very welcome!

I know I was the biggest Gunslinger Girl advocate in the previous thread and I'm glad it made a difference, even if for just one person.

I knew this would be a winner right from the beginning.

I just finished watching 13 and can't wait for a R1 DVD set to be added to my collection.

Without spoiling anything, I will say that the ending is fantastic. Not an explosive "holy shit wtf"! type of ending, but a quiet sad, yet somewhat reassuring ending that gives you much to think about. It's pretty open-ended.

I loved how the focus is never on the corporation or assassinations. It's all a character study ripping everyone apart exposing each distinct personality.

That review (inc) posted was so off-base I'm not going to bother getting into it. That guy must've been watching a different series, has ADD or is in short supply of gray matter.

Animenfo gives this an average rating of 8.9. Pretty impressive.
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1257,iuasgn,gunslinger_girl.html

I'll give it a 10.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Luxury Yacht

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did.

Most people would get really uncomfortable, even offended, by what goes on in this series. That's okay; they should. If they can get beyond that they'll see what a fabulous piece of work Gunslinger Girl is.

It ranks among the very best in speculative science fiction. Like all those at the top of the genre, whether the creators intended it or not, this story has a message. And the message is: "Don't let this happen."
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That review (inc) posted was so off-base I'm not going to bother getting into it. That guy must've been watching a different series, has ADD or is in short supply of gray matter.

Maybe he did watch a *different* series. I was in conversation about GsG in #abmad when it occurred to me that some of that response might have been due to which sub(s) he watched. I thought Triad did a good job with the nuances of the story. At least of the subbers I checked on ep 1, no one else except for ANBU approached them. And in this story, subtlety is everything.

(inc)
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, ANBU or AonE?

See, for animes nowadays I am usually *really* careful about which subbers I keep and AonE is WAY up there on my "good subbers" list. So, I grabbed all of their copies of GsG. Ah, Triad is good as well, but when I had the option to choose between those two, I chose AonE.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum