abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Subjectlines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onakra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Subjectlines Reply with quote

Ok a little rant again: Why do people feel the need to put their own name in a subject?
I can understand it if a subbing group puts it in there, but why "xxxx presents ...", "Upped by ...", etc. when you post some ep you've just leeched from IRC?
I think it's silly, I mean your name is already in the poster column, so why in the subject as well? And the number of people doing this has increased quite a bit these past few weeks. What do you think about this?

Onakra
Sjafira

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that people wanted their name to be remembered as the one who posted the most eps??
Geee.. I have actually more respect for the ones who actually "obey" the rules of the group and don't just post without considering their actions. Example : people who are posting the same eps and from the same release!
the traffic is both ABA and ABMA is high enough.
Keikai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I certainly don't like it primarily because it does seem like a superiority play and, more simply, because it's redundant. Like you said it should be in the poster column. Although who knows if they know how to change it from saying "Power-Post 2000". Razz Also anything that lengthens the subject can be a problem for some people who use certain news clients. But I won't comment beyond that since my subjects don't tend to be all that short. Wink

I also agree with Sjafira. I too am just happy when they stick to the rules and also when the post itself isn't redundant.

Unfortunately, as with many other things we've run into in the past, the more peeps do it the more newbies will think its standard. I could, if enough people feel similarly, put in the FAQ something along the lines that "it's considered to be in bad taste" to do that. I don't really think stronger wording is either proper or prudent, though feel free to point out why I'm wrong.

An alternate point of view, however, that I'd like to point out is something I've thought about before (back when this same behavior got popular about a year (?) ago). Different people have different reasons for contributing. If someone's only "cost" is to stroke their own ego a bit by putting their name/nick in the subject, I don't see how that's really that high a price. That is, assuming, that they are posting something not recently posted and also are actually following the rules.

Last edited by Keikai on Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Orqyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think it's just an ego trip. But considering how many people ask for reposts and don't even know who to ask unless its in the header. Gawd that's just plain sad. Even sadder when it says who to ask in the header and they still don't know. WTF have you been doing then, pothead?!?

And then there's the ones who think the reposter was the poster, since the reposter was in the header. Other than these points, it really doesn't do anything to have your nym in the header other than to feel big.

My POV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Orqyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think it's just an ego trip. But considering how many people ask for reposts and don't even know who to ask unless its in the header. Gawd that's just plain sad. Even sadder when it says who to ask in the header and they still don't know. WTF have you been doing then, pothead?!?

And then there's the ones who think the reposter was the poster, since the reposter was in the header. Other than these points, it really doesn't do anything to have your nym in the header other than to feel big.

My POV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A request from one member of the animeusenet logging team: please put a little thought and effort into your subject lines! Something like the following helps me alot in parsing for our data entry:

Code:
Love Hina Ep 01 [divx/sub/yEnc/99.9MB] [01/32] - Love Hina-01[e-f].avi (*/99)

This example provides essentially all fields that we log so we can have a "complete" record. Putting the title first followed by episode number ensures sane sorting. A pet peeve that really slows me down is when the part numbers (the [01/32] part above) is too early in the subject line so multiple episodes are interleaved because subject lines are sorted by this instead of by ep number (for example).

Put anything you want after the title and before the file names - just please put title first! Make your "props" and fansub group credits as obnoxious as you want (which is sort of what the rest of this thread addresses), but put it after the title and ep!

Regarding other fields: video format, the file size, and fansub group are bits of information that should be trivial for the poster to provide, but become nearly impossible for us to get without downloading it. If it's not provided, it basically doesn't make it into the database. I can think of many scenarios where this information could be helpful. Please provide it!

Maybe this request is unreasonable- I'm not familiar with PowerPost so I don't know what restrictions it places on subject line construction, so my apologize if I'm being ignorant.

-xo

PS - Did I mention putting title and episode first is really helpful?

PPS - OK, I tried to not make this a rant, but it seems to have turned out that way anyway - mea culpa.

PPPS - Actually, those reading this bulletin board are probably already doing the right thing, so it really is just me ranting.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add that I don't speak for the other members of the logging team (Gorunova and matt) and they certainly don't necessarily support/endorse any lunatic raving on my part.
matt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Testify brother xo! Reply with quote

I agree 100% xo, that would be extreamly nice if posters added that extra little bit of info, as it stands now this is my proccess:

1.In xnews sort by date assign all posts with todays date a 9999 score, filter by score
2.sort by title and work down the list, trying to get any possible info out of the subject line or nfo files
3.then when i'm all done i download 1 part of 1 rar file, for each post, that gives me the file type and size

Any extra info a poster is willing to give would be great but I dont expect anything special just for us loggers.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo speaks for me too. Posters, go look at the columns in the search output at animeusenet.org. If you want info to show up in those columns, put it on your subject line. I do sometimes look in 00/nfo files for the data, but sometimes I don't have the patience - especially if I see it's a poorly formatted nfo.

Back to the subject at hand, something that bugs me almost as much as the "upped by me me ME!" thing is redundant info that unnecessarily lengthens the subject line. For example:

[NLA] Alien 9 OVA Ep03 (by #newlife@etg) divx/sub [01/24] - [NLA]_Alien_9_Ep03.SFV (1/1)

The episode name appears twice, but that's not so bad. I'm guilty of that too, since one instance comes from the file name. However, the fansub group appears THREE times on this subject line. That's nuts!

I'm not going to go so far as to say avoid repeating the ep title if it's in the file name, since it's sometimes abbreviated in the file name; in that case it's nice to have the full title too.

I definitely do suggest that the fansub group and file format only need to appear once though. I'd also like to suggest shorting the file names by not including the fansub group and the format in the file name. You only care about thos e things when you're selecting a download, not after you've downloaded it.

So for example I'd shorten the above subject line to (including changing the base file name):

Alien 9 OVA Ep 03 divx/sub #newlife [01/24] - A9_03.SFV (1/1)

Putting the series name first on the line helps messages sort better too.
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys like my 00/nfo files? I don't generally put much information in the subject line in an effort to make it relatively short and to increase the chances of every potential downloader to read it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keikai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, strongly agree with xo on the format. That is pretty much the format that I use. I've never included the filesize like that, but would be happy to do so if the logging team would find that makes things easier.

Since we are bringing up personal opinions on this, I'd like to say that I'm not nuts about abbreviation of the archive set name. I have always much preferred that the archive set have the same full title as the contained video file. This is just personal preference, but I find it makes my life much easier. Of course, it lengthens the subject and that's a big con for others.

Some stuff I think we can all agree on, the rest seems to need to remain discretionary. As the posting section is going to be one of my next big projects in the FAQ, I'll use some of the discussions here to come up with a decent recommended policy for subject lines. And for those points where there are differing opinions, I'll provide an explanation of both sides. I'll probably be taking some polls sometime in the relatively near future as well about this and some other points.

Gorunova wrote:
I'd also like to suggest shorting the file names by not including the fansub group and the format in the file name. You only care about thos e things when you're selecting a download, not after you've downloaded it.

Actually, I really find this information important. While I agree it needs to only appear once in the subject, I'd say that if that is so then the best place is in the file name so the information is still available and easily accessable after download.

Neuralblastoma wrote:
How do you guys like my 00/nfo files?

I quite like your 00/nfos. However, that is at least in part to the fact that I've always liked detailed nfos. I know mine are so long most people who usually read nfos probably skip mine, but I like to have the answer to every post-specific question in there so I can ignore questions with impunity. Twisted Evil Honestly, as long as the audio/subtitle information and the file format are in the subject or the 00/nfo, I'm pretty happy. Although if more information in the subject helps the logging team, I guess I'd like to urge people to use xo's format, as they have enough work on their hands.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Keikai"]
Actually, I [b]really[/b] find this information important. While I agree it needs to only appear once in the subject, I'd say that if that is so then the best place is in the file name so the information is still available and easily accessable after download.
[/quote]

But why would you possibly want that info anyway? I don't understand. Under Windows at least you can get the format from the file properties dialog, and if for some reason you want to know the fansub group later, most of them put their name in the video somewhere.

NB: Your 00/nfo files are OK, but I've always wondered why you have a "platform" category. Ideally, all video should be watchable on all platforms. Even if it's not, people should know from the format info whether or not they can watch it.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo, howcome quoting works for everyone but me? Am I doing something wrong?
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:

xo, howcome quoting works for everyone but me? Am I doing something wrong?

I was wondering that myself. I took a look at your profile and the BBCode option was turned off. It may be because you were user #2, I had the defaults set this way and you were "grandfathered".

In any case, I've turned it back on. You can check out your preferences using the "Profile" link at the top of the page.

-xo
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote: Gorunova]NB: Your 00/nfo files are OK, but I've always wondered why you have a "platform" category. Ideally, all video should be watchable on all platforms. Even if it's not, people should know from the format info whether or not they can watch it.

I use an nfo program called Cool NFO Creator and it has the platform drop-down box with various options. I try to put as much info as the program allows so I used that option. I never really gave it any thought though and now that I have, I guess it's pretty useless. I won't be putting platform in any more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum