abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Subjectlines
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:

A request from one member of the animeusenet logging team: please put a little thought and effort into your subject lines! Something like the following helps me alot in parsing for our data entry:

Code:
Love Hina Ep 01 [divx/sub/yEnc/99.9MB] [01/32] - Love Hina-01[e-f].avi (*/99)

How great would life be if EVERY post came through like that. I think I'd probably die from happiness. Just looking at the example is pure beauty. Maybe they should create alt.binaries.multimedia.anime.good-posters
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: nfo files

As a downloader, I like these. I try to make sure I read these for anything I download (or am thinking of downloading).

As a logger, however, they fall off my radar due to the way I go thru the logging process. I dump headers for a specific date into a text file and then go thru the text file to set up my entries. Since I'm not in a news client when I'm doing this, I can't grab nfos along the way, so that information is lost to me. For selfish reasons then Twisted Evil I would prefer information still be posted to the subject line.

Re: fansub tags in the file name

I prefer to have fansub tags in the filename itself. I started feeling this way when I was re-posting all of Love Hina way back when. I hadn't saved the fansub tags in the filenames at the time and I had wanted to provide that information with my posts and it wound up being a non trivial amount of work to scan thru eps to find out that information. Sometimes it's right at the beginning; sometimes a little later; sometimes at the end.

Nowadays, it's good when I see "Fruits Basket-10[bakaMX]" posted that I can look through my files and see I have "Fruits Basket-10[not-so-great-fansub-group]" and decide to that the bakaMX version is worth downloading without having to actually open the file and go hunting for the credit.

Which sort of reminds me of another peeve: I like the title and episode first in the file name as well (as per my examples above). Why would I want my files to sort by fansub group?!?

-xo
Keikai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:

But why would you possibly want that info anyway? I don't understand. Under Windows at least you can get the format from the file properties dialog

Not entirely sure I understand this part. I was only saying I like to have the full name of the anime (or a non-acronym shortened version if its has a long name) and also the fansub acronym in the filename. Format (as in avi/mpg/etc.) I like to see in the subject or the nfo but I don't really care where. That just lets me decide if I want the version at all. For example, since I personally prefer AVI to MPG, I'll skip an MPG of something I already have the AVI of. Again, these are just my preferences, I'm happy with pretty much anything that follows the rules.

If I'm misunderstanding your question let me know.

Gorunova wrote:

and if for some reason you want to know the fansub group later, most of them put their name in the video somewhere.

My answer to this is pretty identical to xo's, so I won't elaborate too much. It boils down to convenience. I don't watch an anime when I get it, I just don't have a stable enough work schedule nor a massive enough HD. So I burn it and watch it later, usually once I have an entire season. Also, I generally enjoy it more that way. When queueing in news, I can use one of my programs to see easily which ones I have (as they could be in one of about 12 directories on 5 drives across three systems...I have a very complex assembly line process) so I know which group to stick with for that title. Also, sometimes I download more than one version of the same thing. For example, I get a less liked version which comes out first to cover my bases, and then my preferred group if and when it comes out later. I can then delete the first one.

Now as you said I can look in the encode for the group but this can be very painstaking. Each group puts their logo at a different time of the intro and sometimes the intro isn't even at the beginning of the ep so I can end up having to watch several minutes of stuff I dont want to see (since I probably havent watched the preceeding episodes).

Far more importantly, I do not unrar files when I get them. I usually have everything for a minimum of a couple of weeks before I unrar so that a few of my friends can get any fills they need (and they do the same for me). Because of this, I have no convenient way to look into the encoding to see who fansubbed it when trying to figure out what I have and what I need. Also I keep filenames "as is" so that others can find what they need.

Okay, I elaborated too much again...

xo wrote:
Which sort of reminds me of another peeve: I like the title and episode first in the file name as well (as per my examples above). Why would I want my files to sort by fansub group?!?

I agree. This doesnt even require renaming the file which many people would prefer not to do. It just requires typing the name first in the posting program. Unfortunately, since quite a bit of stuff is posted these days by a representative of the fansub groups, and many of the fansub groups seem to prefer this format, I doubt it's too likely to change. This, though, is much more of a pet peeve issue as I dont find it really all that hard to find what I'm looking for using a quick filter in my news client.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:

In any case, I've turned it back on. You can check out your preferences using the "Profile" link at the top of the page.

Thanks, xo. That's better.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keikai wrote:

When queueing in news, I can use one of my programs to see easily which ones I have (as they could be in one of about 12 directories on 5 drives across three systems...I have a very complex assembly line process) so I know which group to stick with for that title. Also, sometimes I download more than one version of the same thing. For example, I get a less liked version which comes out first to cover my bases, and then my preferred group if and when it comes out later. I can then delete the first one.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that, and I also hadn't thought of having the info easily available in case you wanted to repost it.

I guess this comes from my own habits - I don't care who subbed an episode, as long as it's reasonably well done. I'll only download a new version of an ep if the one I have is really bad, which I note as "bad subs" in my master list.

I'm also unrar everything ASAP to save disk space, and I always rename files to shorten them. I acronymize the series name and cut out the fansub group name and format info if it's there. The full series name gets transferred to the name of the directory in which the file is stored (I organize *everything* under a single consistent tree), and I record the format info in my master anime list.

Needless to say, people's MP3 file naming habits bug the hell out of me too. Everything should be in the ID3 tag, the file name should just be the track number and song name, and the group and album names should be in the directory structure. Unfortunately most p2p file sharing software doesn't provide for any kind of structured presentation of files.

How's THAT for anal? Shocked
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:

Needless to say, people's MP3 file naming habits bug the hell out of me too.

ooOOOoohh, don't even get me started on mp3 file names Evil or Very Mad
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol...MP3 always screwed me up. I'd settle on a way to name everything and then finally something would come along and screw me up.
oblio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally settled on my posting and filename standards a while ago... I appreciate other's NFO's, but often don't make my own, except when doing 1 for an entire series.

Anyway, I've taken to posting thus:
[fansub group] episode name 12 [notes][codec,resolution,sub||dub] fn.XXX

where the fn is some munge of the above. The segments always unrar to something of the order of

"episode name ep 12 (subgroup,divx,sub).avi"

And I now rename everything I download. I've also spent some time going back through as much as I could in my archives and renaming that. It had gotten to the point where I had duplicates of certain eps/series and having to check the video for which sub group did it was unfortunate.

I've found that the little bit of upfront work with regards to file naming has saved me considerable hassle when people have asked for uploads, or fills...

ob
sirhc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really mind posters putting their name. I find it annoying, but
not as annoying as say...someone putting a long repost request in the
subject of all the anime they would like or just a LONG subject line period.
Making me resize my columns! ANNOYING! I even go to the point where
I add the poster to plonk list. Maybe that's why I don't get a lot of repost
requests for the files I post. Before a reformat of the hard drive I had
over 100+ in the kill filter list. I don't kill filter trolls because sometimes it
gets interesting.

Onto subject headers. I've been using what XO recommended but for
different reasons. (I'll probably add the filesize to make it easier for you
guys.)

Title # (format/type/fansubber) - $F

When I post the pars I replace everything within the () to par files. So,
that the pars follow right behind the rar files. I usually don't post wmv or
rms so the pars always follow behind.

When I do repost I use "Title # (repost/fills) for recipient" so that it
follows the pars. I find this good because everyone can easily see what
files have been reposted already and don't unneccesarily request it again.
Plus if someone searches for their name they can still catch it.

I don't use file number counts because it just makes the subject title
longer. I used to use Agent and that annoyed me, so I like keep the
subject small, and shorten the rar file name.
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't post (cable modem is still only one way here), but if I did I would use:

Series Name - Ep ## [fansubber] (codec,resolution,sub||dub)* filename

*stole that part from oblio because it just works. Resolution is usually left off from most peoples posts, but I like to know.

My files are all named either
Series - Episode ## [fansubber].ext
or
Long Series Name - ## [fansubber].ext
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum