abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Should all VCD/SVCD posts be moved to ABAV?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should all VCD/SVCD posts be moved to ABAV?
Yes
76%
 76%  [ 19 ]
No
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 25

Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Should all VCD/SVCD posts be moved to ABAV? Reply with quote

alt.binaries.anime.vcd is a very small group that isn't used nearly as much as it should be. If all VCD/SVCD posts were posted there and only there, all anime groups will benefit.

The traffic in ABA/ABMA will be reduced significantly and ABAV will finally be a substantial group of its own. I say that because much of what is currently posted there is cross-posted to ABA/ABMA.

By posting VCD/SVCD's only to ABAV it then truely becomes its own separate group.

If your ISP does not carry ABAV then send them an email and ask them to add it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Highspar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To prevent myself from foaming at the mouth again, I'm going to keep this short. I voted yes, because if the mood so hits me, I can make vcds on my own.
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I have anything against them, but they really need a group all to their own. Then again, the same could be said about *.rm files. I take that back, *.rm files don't need a group all to their own, they need to just die...horribly....kicking and screaming...
Firecaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes, because it would distribute the load on my poor ISP's news server. But maybe I'm saying this because I get abav, too. ^^;

[Edit: ABAV, not ABMAV... durr...]
dhluke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys talk like you own the NewsGroups... Hey news flash you don't own shit. Why the hell you guys bitch at free stuff? Aren't you guys supposed to be thankful someone is bothering to take the time to post for all of you? Or you just thinking on how to screw people who bothers to post? If you guys want to regulate stuff -- hey tell the fansub groups to stop doing the same title that another group already done... No need for 2 huh?

Also -- I have a 20 hour retention... You don't see me bitching about it... And I certantly don't go tell people to stop posting because they pushing the previous posts...

Now if you have a slow connection ... Tough luck pal... Because you are not lucky -- you don't have to bring everyone to your level...

The only thing I do bitch about it's people trying to bite other people who are trying to give you something for free.... Oh yeah and about DIVX -- DIVX sucks go SVCD Smile or hell better yet-- get the vobs...

And for the vote part -- There is no need for me to vote because I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I want...
Musicman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: mpeg files Reply with quote

I'm an oldtimer and mpeg files have been posted in ABA/ABMA for years. As long as the poster doesn't abuse the MB limit then there shouldn't be an issue.

I do remember when posters would ask the group if they wanted the (gasp) asf/avi or mpeg version and the group would decide the preference -- those were the days.

I think the biggest headache and that is hurting retention (more) is the posting of the same anime that is from two or three or four different fansub groups...then posting version2 within a day of posting version1.

Get that under control and the NG will be in pretty good shape. Anime Newsgroup just don't work like the other newsgroup do. I think we all realize that.

Also...don't pick on the mpeg posters..they are not the problem. I've never seen any of you jumping on Hiso's back for "flooding" the NG with 3 or 4 anime episodes at a time. He is breaking the posting limit.

Of course Hiso has my permission to do so :)
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no, because although I think VCD and SVCD are overkill and too large, the problem would be better solved by asking people to limit their daily post size. That just means spreading an SVCD over two or three days.

Also, VCD is almost the same as MPEG, and I certainly have no problem with people posting MPEGs. It's one of the more portable formats around. VCD can easily be converted to MPEG or DIVX. SVCD is a bitch of a hassle to convert, though.

dhluke wrote:

You guys talk like you own the NewsGroups... Hey news flash you don't own shit.

So I take it that means you DO own the newsgroups?

dhluke wrote:

Why the hell you guys bitch at free stuff? Aren't you guys supposed to be thankful someone is bothering to take the time to post for all of you? Or you just thinking on how to screw people who bothers to post?

Maybe you didn't notice, but many of the people concerned about what's going down in the anime groups are long-time posters and contributors. We're doing this out of concern that the current abuse situation may result in many of us losing access to our anime supply. Better to regulate and survive than to have a brief free-for-all and die, don't you think?

dhluke wrote:

If you guys want to regulate stuff -- hey tell the fansub groups to stop doing the same title that another group already done... No need for 2 huh?

I totally agree with that.

dhluke wrote:

Also -- I have a 20 hour retention... You don't see me bitching about it... And I certantly don't go tell people to stop posting because they pushing the previous posts...

That's great if you have no life. Some of us are greedy: we have a life AND want to be able to grab anime too. Smile Having a life prevents us from sitting at the computer twice every day to tag downloads before they scroll off.

dhluke wrote:

Oh yeah and about DIVX -- DIVX sucks go SVCD Smile

Bah. If you want that kind of picture quality, buy the damn DVDs. Small-picture MPEG, DIVX and RM are the way to go for trading.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not quite sure what to vote after reading all the comments from other people in the group. On one hand it's not a bad idea to group the VCD/SVCD to a ABAV but I also agree with Gurunova regarding the moderate posting.
perhaps separating the VCD/SVCD is a good start.. but I do think the implementation is kinda difficult, people can get confused since ABA = alt.binaries.anime doesn't specify which binaries it can be posted and ABMA is an multimedia binary group... which actually "includes" VCD/SVCD or am I mistaken?
but yes it is a good start... and hopefully the posting will regulate soon because I got a warning from my ISP that I have crossed my download quota ^_^
Sjafira

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.. but the Anonymous was me..
I forgot the time and I was logged off from the forum without realizing it..
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no. I am interested in the occasional VCD/SVCD that comes through but I don't want to have to monitor yet another newsgroup for it.

Separation by content is fine with me - splitting Sailor Moon and Dragonball off is great. But splitting by format would just create too much additional work for me.

Just my take.
-xo
Melchior

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 'yes' because separating massive posts into another group would distribute the load that our newsgroups represent over a greater number of groups, thereby reducing the visible impact of AB(M)A to usenet admins.

If we drop our bandwidth usage by half a gig each day because of this, then we won't rate as highly on a top-newsgroups-by-bytes-posted list, and we'll look to be more reasonable. ABAV will still be a relatively low-traffic group (relative to AB(M)A), and thus won't be subject to complaints about its bandwidth usage unless things get really extreme there.
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A “yes”, though I really don’t want to see the *traditional* mpegs leave aba/abma.

Trying to prognosticate a little, I think that VCD is dying and that abav will (and should) be dominated by SVCD and whatever newer/larger image type succeeds it. As the size disparity increases (as it will) between the traditional encodes (rm, asf, avi, mpeg) and full image posts, I just foresee a need to separate them.

At aba/abma, I’m hoping that better compression algorithms and faster computers will actually get people to start posting _smaller_ files – I know I’ve gotten some rather amazing results on re-encodes with divx5 at 488x366 that come in at around 100-120M. Of course if people insist on 1280x1024, there’s no hope. ;-) Posts would be mainly intended for computer viewing.

At abav -- and as dvd burners enter the mainstream -- things could be on the road toward posting of full dvd images, with the output intended mainly for TV viewing.

...just some musings...

(inc)
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your musings, inc. I think that seperating by intended viewing device makes a certain sense. Stuff intended to be burned to VCD/SVCD/DVD for TV viewing in abav, and smaller files intended for computer viewing in the other groups.

I say this mainly because it irks me when people post stuff I have to convert in order to watch - SVCD, VCD, ISO, BIN/CUE. Some of us - this means me - PREFER watching on the computer, thanks very much.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot bummer for me - I just discovered (maybe I knew this but forgot) that my newsserver (attbi.com) doesn't carry ABAV. Just another consideration.

A request: if you're gonna make a post to ABAV only, please keep us poor souls in mind and post an announcement in the main groups. I have the option to hit easynews if I really want something but it's not something I can check regularly.

-xo
deoch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: ~ Reply with quote

I would like to see SVCDs isolated in ABAV. It'll ease the load on ABA/ABMA, plus make it easier to sort through. Of course, this is because my newsserver carries ABAV ^_^. I like SVCDs since they provide great quality and I can watch them on the TV.

How would you like the announcements formatted xo?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum