abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

[poll] What kind of limitations should we set on spoilers?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

During summer I saw some spoilers and I thought...
We should talk about everything and anything!
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
It should be Moderated (but who is another question)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Anything remotely a spoiler is verboten!
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
They're okay as long as it's not major
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
None of the above so see my comments below :)
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Jiss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: [poll] What kind of limitations should we set on spoilers? Reply with quote

Quote:
Seriously though, I think this forum gets more use because for most people there is more to discuss about anime series and episodes than the music. Of course, as you said, the size of the groups also helps.- user

The above comment in another post made me think of this, and it's something that should be decided upon before it happens.

Opinions always matter, mine is that spoilers are okay to a certain extent. Talking about what happens in the later Ranma episodes is probably not much of an issue as long as it isn't the last (yes, I know what happens in the end and I'm not saying:P). My reasons are Bebop, Lain, NGE and a few others have been spoiled because people mentioned the ending and I've not even finished watching them because of it. NGE, I don't care too much as that is fairly commonplace and my not watching it was more of a lack of care than anything else, but I was really pissed over Lain Sad
user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think spoilers are okay, but I would like to see some sort of spoiler delimiter. I guess the conventional ones which are used in the newsgroups (spoiler header and lots of blank lines before the spoiler, or ROT-13 [does anyone even use that anymore?]) wouldn't work as well in a forum.

But what I've seen on some sites are people using HTML to set the spoiler text so that it's the same color as the background, thereby making it effectively invisible unless the reader decides to highlight the space where the text is to reveal it. However, I wonder if this might not work when someone's browser has been set up to always override colors with the user's own settings.

Hmm, let's see..

This text should be more or less invisible...

Ack, I guess that didn't work too well.... Sad
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

user wrote:

But what I've seen on some sites are people using HTML to set the spoiler text so that it's the same color as the background

Hey, that's a pretty neat trick! I like it. I vote for this one.
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind about spoilers, but other people do.

So I vote for the color trick too.

Is there a way to specify the currend background color of the post as text color? Or maybe it is possible to set the background color of the text?

T.Rieper
Melchior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for the background-colour trick as well! That's a pretty neat way of hiding stuff so that people don't accidentally see something they didn't want to!
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias Rieper wrote:

Is there a way to specify the currend background color of the post as text color? Or maybe it is possible to set the background color of the text?

It doesn't look like there is a direct way, but since the "quote" bbcode appears to use a light background, you could use that in conjunction with the font color. Here's a test:

SPOILER wrote:
user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty neat, I didn't think of using the "quote" bbcode. I wonder if the bbcode relies on Javascript to change the colors; it seems to not hide the text in Netscape with Javascript disabled.
Keikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Jiss knew I'd respond to this one. I, as some of you know, am EXCEEDINGLY paranoid about spoilers. My following rampage is going to be somewhat vehement and while I have always tried to keep my tone very measured in our discussions no matter how riled I might get, this is one for which I just can't manage a completely level-headed response.

I despise spoilers...pure and simple. For those of you who aren't freaks about this like me, let me explain. A spoiler is exactly that. It spoils the experience of the anime or other medium. When I hear something about an anime it embeds itself in my brain and I can't stop thinking about it until I've watched the anime in question. Imagine you are finally getting to watch "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" for the first time in a theater while a baby is crying in your ear, someone is kicking the back of your seat and, to top it all off, it's a dub with Chihiro voiced by Britney Spears (hmm...maybe the baby crying is a good thing). Now that is roughly equivalent to how much an "innocent" spoiler can ruin my experience of something I haven't seen.

And just because you think something is a not spoiler doesn't mean someone else feels the same way, so I urge as pleadingly as possible that people aim for caution on this point. As a matter of fact, some of the most annoying spoilers I've ever heard weren't even true, but I assumed they were while I was watching it and it had the same destructive effect. Spoilers are what drove me from IRC anime channels.

All that said, on usenet, all you have to do is not put the spoiler information in the subject and also include the name of the anime and *spoiler* or *slight spoiler* there and all is safe. People like me know to steer clear if we haven't seen the anime before. And if we have, you can bet we'll be in there chatting it up. Heck, even if you don't put in the *spoiler* warning its easy enough to tell if its a bad one to read just from a well written subject. If its any type of discussion about something one hasn't seen, its a good one to avoid. I've never read a spoiler on usenet that wasn't some newbie putting a spoiler right in the header, so there it's not been a real concern.

As for on the bulletin board, since a spoiler discussion might come up after the main subject is already set (the individual message subjects are kind of hard to notice), I do vote for the white text on white background method like xo demonstrated. The only problem with this is any discussion of something not yet seen can spoil. So it would be good to be able to mark when a discussion tangents off the original subject into something that is a discussion of the content of an anime itself. Usually when this happens, though, it starts with a question discussing the content of the anime and those who haven't seen it yet can steer clear. Of course that means that they'll miss the rest of the original conversation. But I guess thats a different problem: one of how to handle tangents in a non-threaded discussion. But that's a tangent so I'll drop that discussion now. Smile

All in all, this is a situation where it takes nothing but a little bit of caution to prevent something that is irrevokable. Of course, since people who feel as I do seem to be a significant minority from my own discussions on this in the past, you'll probably not be upsetting too many people. Crying or Very sad

Phew, okay I actually restrained my emotions on that one pretty well. Shocked
Jiss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mwahaha Twisted Evil I thought you might respond to this.

Well having sat in a crowded cinema watching Grave of the Fireflies (and in a state of shock as (a) it was playing in a cinema, albeit small, and (b) it was crowded), I wasn't too impressed with the people behind me whispering in that loud whisper that people can only do in cinema's (the one that everyone in a three-seat radius can hear audibly), exactly what was going to happen next. I'd seen the film before, but still it's annoying.

But actually I think the hidden text in quotes is good, works just as well as the spoiler warning and gap of ng posts (that no one seems to use nowadays).

Oh, yeah, and if you got the raws of Hale nochi Guu you find out in the end that it's really just..... Laughing
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

user wrote:

Pretty neat, I didn't think of using the "quote" bbcode. I wonder if the bbcode relies on Javascript to change the colors; it seems to not hide the text in Netscape with Javascript disabled.

It looks like it's just translating the bbcode to style sheet syntax so technically no Javascript is required. For Netscape <=4, Javascript and CSS are intertwined so you can't have one without the other, unfortunately.

-xo
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I added a quick little guide to hiding spoilers to the Welcome/Guidelines for this forum. And since everyone reads what they should, it shouldn't be a problem anymore Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum