abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Love Hina R1 DVD?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Love Hina R1 DVD? Reply with quote

Anyone get their Love Hina R1 DVD Vol 1 yet? How is it?

I'm kinda torn between collecting these as they come out or holding off for a special edition boxed set of some sort once they're all out. Because it would suck to pick them up individually and then have to get the boxed set as well Mad .

Looks like the first volume comes in regular and special "collectors" boxes. The box art on both looks really cheesy and I would be rather embarrassed to be seen with them.

Here's a link http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v5_search_item.asp?string=love+hina.

-xo
Melchior

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that if you're not desperate to watch the R1 DVDs, wait for the box set (I'm assuming that a box set is, in fact, planned). The box set will probably also be cheaper, if Cowboy Bebop will serve as any sort of example...
Keikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too will be waiting for the presumed release of a boxed set.

Although on the point of the cheesy graphics, probably anyone who is into anime will fully understand and those that aren't probably would look at you allot funnier if they actually watched Love Hina. Smile
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vol. 1 + box is the starting of the boxset. The "box" that it comes with has space for all 6 dvds. Finally an American company is taking a clue from Japan. Kudos to them! Check http://www.animeondvd.com/site2002/reviews/alt_review.php?review=624 for a complete review. Unfortunately, we haven't gotten any of the box copies in. Just the single DVD. For the record, there won't be a special "better" box later. All the advertisements for the box we've already gotten at work show the same box.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlienBoy wrote:

The Vol. 1 + box is the starting of the boxset. The "box" that it comes with has space for all 6 dvds.

Thanks for this info! It appears I can start collecting right away!

-xo
Keikai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlienBoy wrote:

The Vol. 1 + box is the starting of the boxset. The "box" that it comes with has space for all 6 dvds. Finally an American company is taking a clue from Japan. Kudos to them!

That is a terrific idea. Much friendlier to the consumer. Is this common practice with boxsets in Japan?
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It would make more sense in my mind to sell just the box separate, but then manufacturers wouldn't have much insentive to make box sets at all. In Japan, you will find numerous series with a Box + vol.1 combo for sale. The downside is that you would end up with a second vol. 1, but you wouldn't have to spring for a complete box-set. It is also not uncommon to see the combo sold (as it is with Love Hina) when the series is just coming out. There already exists a large enough fan-base that people WILL buy these with the intention of buying the whole set.

On a side note, animeondvd.com has convinced a lot of companies to sell a limited number of boxes through Right Stuff International. Cowboy Bebop, for example. They only had about 1000 boxes to sale and those went in the first week alone, but if you keep your eyes on the main news there, they will let you know. I believe they have one for Neon Genesis coming soon (too bad I still haven't picked up the DVD's....there goes another $149.99).

[Edit: Stay tuned for my upcoming post on alternatives to US marketing stupidity...]
Keikai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Boxsets and U.S. Marketing Reply with quote

AlienBoy wrote:

[Edit: Stay tuned for my upcoming post on alternatives to US marketing stupidity...]

Looking forward to it, AlienBoy. Thanks for the great information. RightStuf carrying boxes is very interesting as well. The only fear I have is that its not "US marketing stupidity" but rather the willingness of US publishing companies to abuse the more enthusiastic fans. I've always felt they do what they do (have multiple releases with more and more "extras" spaced out over a large time) to intentionally suck as much money out of those who are the most willing to pay. Perhaps I'm wrong about this, and I'd like to be, but I'm a bit cynical to think things will get better across the board. The fact is even when the publishers do something we hate, we often buy the DVD anyways. That's not offering much incentive for them to change.

Argh, went off on a tangent again, well I'm going to post it anyways after all that typing. Embarassed
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. Working in a video store, I get to see it first hand. Just take a look at some upcoming DVD releases.

New Double-disc Usual Suspects
New Double-disc Resevoir Dogs
New Double-disc Memento
New Double-disc Blue Velvet
New Double-disc Evil Dead (NOTE: 3rd or 4th version that has been made. I forgive them, though, because the new packaging rules)
New Double-disc Jerry Maguire (NOTE: Does anyone really care?)
The list goes on and on.

Furthermore (read: Rant coming...), Why do some companies just flat out take things out of print for 5-10 years at a time *cough* Disney Bastards *cough*. I actually know the answer to that. It's so that managers will have angry customers to deal with. God bless you Disney! What would I do to pass the time without you?

[seinfeld]And what's the deal with George Lucas?[/seinfeld] How about we just save ourselves the hassle of having to take things out of print by never releasing them in the first place.

Ok...calm down....remember what the Dr. said....just breathe....

So who's doing it right? Criterion for one. When they put something out, you can be assured of two things. 1. It'll be THE definative disc(s) for that movie. 2. It'll cost you $40. New Lines "Infinfilms" seems to have it right too. Once something is an infinifilm, it doesn't seem like another version will be coming out...of course, we all said that about their New Line Platinum series too...

Anchor Bay. Oh what a coy mistress. Even though they're solely responsible for the aforementioned 4 versions of Evil Dead AND at least 3 versions of Army of Darkness, you have to give them props for releasing good movies. Here's a tip: If it says "limited edition" and it has a number on the back, it's probably going to be good. Their editions of The Wicker Man and The Stunt Man are awesome.

Now, if I may, apologize for taking up so much of your time. It's been a while since I've gotten to vent like this (could ya tell?). I also didn't really mean to stray from anime THAT much, but I saw the opening and took it. Now on over to my other thread which is already in progress...
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlienBoy wrote:

Anchor Bay. Oh what a coy mistress. Even though they're solely responsible for the aforementioned 4 versions of Evil Dead AND at least 3 versions of Army of Darkness, you have to give them props for releasing good movies.

You mean Anchor Bay is somewhat respectable now?? Shocked
I remember back when DVDs first came on the scene, the consensus of alt.video.dvd'ers is that AB was basically as low as you can go and still call it a "DVD".
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Imagine that. They actually squeezed out some good titles recently. Of course, even way back when they sucked, their choice of titles ruled. Who remembers when they first brought out the Hammer Films Collections? I picked up 5 or 6 of these at $4.99 a piece. The Picture quality is amazing (all sources considered). The extras...well...umm....they're not the strongest point, but they're not too bad. [/i]
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo Hoo! Finally got my copy in the mail. The box is pretty good. I wish there was a little more in the way of spine-art, but other than that I like it a lot. Has anyone else gotten theirs yet?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum