abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Predicting the anime that you'd like

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melchior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Predicting the anime that you'd like Reply with quote

Hey all,

A couple weeks ago a friend of mine (goes by the nickname N on the newsgroups) told me about a good website to waste some time at. You rate the shows that you've watched, and it suggests shows that you'd like. So far I'm pretty impressed at the system's accuracy-- most of the time the site's predictions as to my ratings are within one point of what I feel a show's worth (you rate shows out of 10 points).

Normally I don't advertise other websites, but this site is one that I feel is worth letting other people know about.

http://anime.madwuv.net/
Gorunova

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's not bad. It obviously relies heavily on the "properties" of each anime series being properly set though - the colored bars on the right of the rating screens.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty damn cool. As witnessed by my persistent requests for thumbs-up/thumbs-down opinions on this board, I'm always looking for cues on what to watch next. I've thought about something like this based on similar things I'd seen for music, but had no idea how to go about coding it.

I hope it sticks around and gets better with time!

-xo
HollyBerries

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it quite knew what to do with me. My tastes are all over the place. I'd say that the Top Ten Recommendations are fairly sound that it came up with for me, but on a lot of the series on the alphabetical pages the "Predicted Rating" were waaaaay off. And the weird thing was, in my Top 10 page, if I go to "Rate these suggestions" some of the Predicted Ratings for things supposedly in my Top 10 are as low as a 6 o_O

HB
Melchior

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah, the Top-10 ratings seem a bit flakey. One of the shows that was in my top-10 list had a predicted rating of 0. Yup, zero. Don't ask me how the system figured that one out. And, incidentally, it was a show that I really really liked. (it was a show that I'd watched last year and hadn't yet ranked). I ranked it a 9.

Gorunova, I don't think it relies particularly heavily on the properties of each show, since it'll give a predicted ranking even for shows that don't have their properties rated yet-- at least, it did earlier this month. I suspect it ranks shows based on people who rank shows comparably to you, so perhaps the more members the site has, the more accurate the results would be. Well, maybe.

So who knows. It's definitely not a perfect site yet, but I'm interested to see how it'll progress.

If nothing else, I've started watching Kare Kano thanks to that site. I'm really enjoying it so far!
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top 10 suggestions looked pretty good - a number of them were on my "to watch" list prior (Azumanga Daioh, GTO, Hikaru No Go).

Of course, I don't have complete series for those titles, so they'll have to continue to wait. However, Read or Die was recommended, so I think I'll give that one a shot next (currently nearing the end of Abeno - fun stuff!).

I love Kare Kano! I gave it a 10.

What would be kinda cool is to have some sort of "friends" concept in addition to the neural net. Perhaps it can point out users who tend to agree with your ratings, or you can browse through other's "lists".

-xo
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melchior wrote:
Gorunova, I don't think it relies particularly heavily on the properties of each show, since it'll give a predicted ranking even for shows that don't have their properties rated yet-- at least, it did earlier this month. I suspect it ranks shows based on people who rank shows comparably to you, so perhaps the more members the site has, the more accurate the results would be.

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. I had initially assumed it was selecting shows with properties similar to those you rate highly, and weighting the guesses according to how often you confirmed them for each combination of dominant show properties.

But it may be an Amazon-style correlation of the type "people who like A also tend to like B" in which case the properties of the show are irrelevant.
Chung

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how many of you check animeondvd.com .. but they had a link to this the other day.. article at September 25th - Experimental Anime Website (06:58 AM EST):

There's a really brief desc about some of the workings of the site by what appears to be the original coder.

Quote:

The core of the system will remain secret. However, here is a generalized yet still slightly technical explanation of how it works. The base of the system is a two layer split neural network. After using the site for any decent amount of time it will be noticed that the predicted ratings do not often agree with the suggested title results. This is because the top layer of the network, the way in which user relations to each other are handled, is split and calculated completely differently between the two. Both of these feed their weights into the second layer which weights the actual anime titles to produce the final results shown on the webpage.
HollyBerries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
My top 10 suggestions looked pretty good - a number of them were on my "to watch" list prior (Azumanga Daioh, GTO, Hikaru No Go).

Heh...the one that it predicted a rating of "6" for me that it put into my Top Ten was Azumanga Daioh...If I didn't know any better, I'd say that there show might have something about it that causes it to show up in a lot of people's lists Wink

HB (And her conspiracy theory for the day ¬_¬ )
teki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... the top 10 suggestions quickly filled up with stuff I already knew I wanted to see.

Guess it works? Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum