abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Somebody wants to pay me for FBC...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melchior

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Somebody wants to pay me for FBC... Reply with quote

I feel kinda bad for him, since apparently he's in Portugal and his ISP is sucking, and FBC's a childhood favourite of his... He sent me one message, to which I recommended he pickup an Easynews account since they still had all the FBC eps, but his reply:

Quote:
Greetings,
This is My work Mail.
First I would like to thank You for the quick reply to my msg, Second I
thank You for the help given but my situation is a tough one I will explain
it to You:
My ISP (Netcabo from Portugal - cable) only allow 1 Gb a month as
International Traffic (so much for easynews) and 20 Gb from National, so
after the 1Gb (Internetional) it costs more or less $2.5 each 100 Mb so I
could only use 1 Gb from Easynews (5G gonne to heaven) not only that but no
more navigation on International web, so altrough You say It would be
cheaper to subscribe the news I would like to get a proposition on getting
copies of the files or the episodes sent from You (I don't know were from).
Please take sometime to consider my positon regarding this subject (and
Yours).
I am willing to send you advance money and I can also send Anime on CD if
You send me a wish list (and I have it).
Please reply as soon as You can.

Note that in his original message, the reason for the problem was that every single RAR file in my last few posts came through incomplete for him.

Mmmkay, so I'm not really sure how to reply to this email. I don't hugely want to burn and mail discs to somebody I don't know; it feels... wrong. (as opposed to sending stuff to somebody I *do* know, in which case it seems to feel OK, although I also post stuff to people I don't know in ABA/ABMA guiltlessly...)

Any suggestions? Oblio, if you'd like to mail him stuff, I can send him your way, since it's really your posting. If anybody else would like to do it either, I can send him your way...
Keikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, that is an uncomfortable situation. As much as I sincerely sympathize with folks in unfortunate circumstances like that, I couldn't bring myself to mail something like that. I'd probably explain that I wouldn't feel comfortable and recommend a public request explaining specifically the circumstances because "selling" fansubbed anime on CD is heavily frowned upon on our groups.

If I were feeling really guilty for some reason I'd setup an FTP for the person. But I'm not sure what the person could say that would bring me to that point. For a friend I'd do it that way since, obviously, a full repost would be a waste of "public bandwidth" for sending to an individual.
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were no later than the mid-90's I'd say go for a trade, but since it's 2002 when so many more people have high-speed internet access I'd think about it for awhile. I wouldn't say no immediately. I'd really give it some thought. Only for a trade though. No money!

I used to tape trade with a guy in the U.S. in 1995. I got his address from an issue of Animerica in the letters section. I sent him a letter(the kind written on paper) and my list of stuff(also on this thing called paper) which included alot of European and Asain horror films-he sent me his and we just started trading. For some reason we instantly trusted each other. Eventually we pissed each other off in our letters and stopped writing and trading but that's another story.

So I guess what I'm saying is, how did his letter make you feel? Do you think you can trust him? If so I don't think there's anything wrong with a straight trade. And if he's got nothing you want, ask him to send some TV shows or movies from Portugal. Could be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jiss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I found is that once you help out once, sometimes they come back and ask again and again... Sad
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm a paranoid sucker and I'm sure, I'm talking now ugly about someone, who doesn't deserve it... but I would guess, it's a trap.

In germany, there are several lawers, who use this trading trick to catch people. (Small fishes, mostly kids for pirating games...)

T.Rieper
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keikai wrote:

"selling" fansubbed anime on CD is heavily frowned upon on our groups.

Don't mean to change the topic like this, but what about doing it the way most sites do tapes? When I bought(not really the best word, but keep reading) my Berserk fansubs, I only payed the cost of the blank tapes and shipping (Plus maybe $.50 per tape for labels). I was curious if that's frowned upon. Generally speaking, of course.

Also, you could possibly set something like that up with the portugese guy if you were feeling generous. Just have him cover the cost of the cd(s) and shipping.
oblio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guh.

Here is my take:
1. This is Disney we are talking about here (even if they are NEVER going to release it). Don't up your exposure. Especially because you are posting as a favor.

2. If he can find ANYONE else in portugal, they could simply grab and repost (or trade) with the propert distrobution header on the message to prevent global distrobution. Its hard for me to believe he can't find someone else in the newsgroups to help him from his own country (or a close one- spain?).

3. The rest is best suited for a private forum.
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops. I forgot that we were dealing with licensed material. I'd have to give a big negative on that one. Just disregard my earlier suggestion.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum